Hypermiling a V6/V8? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hypermiling a V6/V8?

So far, using mild hypermiling techniques (coasting in neutral, driving slower, and being smart about acceleration/braking) I've managed to get my '96 VW Golf GL to consistently pull 35-40 mpg in mostly highway commuting. That's roughly 50% over the revised EPA estimates of 22 city/28 hwy.

However, I'm just plain sick of the car. It runs fine, but it's showing its age and needs some maintenance I don't want to invest in it, and, shallow as it is, I'd like to get something a little less "dorky," but still consistently get 30mpg+ without doing anything fancy or stupid.

I'm thinking of maybe a larger vehicle like a Jeep Wrangler or Cherokee, a full size pickup truck, or maybe even a rear wheel drive muscle/sports car like a Mustang GT (I would go V6, but Ford 4.0s have serious design flaws) or maybe even a Nissan 350Z. These are very different types of vehicles, I know, and all I really need is basic transportation, but I've always had my eye on them and I'm getting sick of driving cheap nerdmobiles with no style or power.

My question is if I were to get a car that's a bit of a guzzler, would I likely still be able to get the same 50% over EPA in it? I know a bigger engine would use more fuel in idling, but it also wouldn't need the 3000+ rpms my painfully low geared Golf needs to achieve interstate speeds.

RollerCoasterofLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Registered Member

how bout 30mpg right out of the box. turbo 4cyl cobalt SS (turbo, not the old supercharged) gets 22/30, 260hp in a 2700lb-ish car ... think thats about 2x the hp/weight of your golf, and better rated epa est.

option 2 toyota made the mr2 up to 2005, rated 23/30 with a 6spd, 138hp, 2200lbs... might not win a drag race witha cobalt SS but it looks cool.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

I'm running a 4.0 Mustang and love it -- I'm right now only averaging 31-33mpg on the highway, but should pick up a few more with the lowering and UDP next month. ~20mpg in-town with me driving immaturely A LOT. Perils of free-flowing exhaust -- better efficiency, but you just HAVE to stomp on it!

I'm not sure what you mean by design flaws, however, unless you're referring to SuperSix Motorsport's laughable evaluation?

Edit: Oh, and an old C5 Corvette will return those figures easily A couple gentlemen over at LS1tech.com are averaging 35mpg highway.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
Registered Member

Jeep Wrangler or Cherokee? Hypermile?

Hahaha. Good luck.

My folks owned a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee. With the price of gas as it is now days, they say the best financial decision they ever made was to sell it before gas got too expensive. I drove that car many times. Unless you're going to off road in a Jeep, it's not a rational investment. They drive just like they're meant to - ruggedly. The Grand Cherokee was geared so low that if you left it in D and coasted down any sizeable hill, it would actually slow down. You always had to keep your foot on the gas pedal in that behemoth. Best I could ever get out of it was 22 mph highway. Worst of all, the handling wasn't really meant for driving on the Interstate. I always felt like if I had to swerve to avoid something/one, that the car would easily rollover.

I don't understand why people own Jeeps. My family only owned one because they inherited it. And they got rid of it quickly too.

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:44 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicradish View Post

I don't understand why people own Jeeps. My family only owned one because they inherited it. And they got rid of it quickly too.
My friend's Cherokee was good for ~25mpg highway with mild mods, considerably less in town. He liked to randomly explore off-road, which was a blast, could find great places when camping, and saved my life when we got a 2-foot dump of snow and I needed to make a grocery run A fine lil' beastie it was, and not too murderous on gas.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:09 AM   #6
Registered Member

From the cars that you listed I would choose the Nissan 350Z. I am sure that if you hyper-milled it you could see some decent numbers because of its V6 and Outstanding aero from the factory.

Around that price range the new EVO X isn't a bad choice. It has a turbo charged 4 banger, one of the most sophisticated AWD systems and people are reporting 30+ Mpg when the ECU is flash tuned. I am sure an experienced gas-saver could squeeze more out of it. And it would give you that off road vehicle you desire without sacrificing gas mileage, unless you get into it, LOL.

-Nate

Total Cost w/ equip: $630.00
Gallons of Gas saved: 7.93
Total savings so far@4.06: $32.2

Balance... $597.80
HondaTorneoSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:47 AM   #7
Registered Member

the only plus that i see out of this is that.. you will get the jeep for a low low price. there are many people out there desperately trying to unload their suv's or pickup trucks that never go off road.

I would get a wrx or something if i was you, since you still want the pep and the gas mileage around 30 with hypermiling.

a suv normally has a 20 - 25 gallon tank, its easily going to be a 100 dollar fillup by the way gas prices are going.
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:04 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicradish View Post
Jeep Wrangler or Cherokee? Hypermile?

Hahaha. Good luck.
You can beat the EPA by 30% in anything, even a Jeep or a 4x4 full size pickup. 50% is tough without a manual transmission. Just remember, if you're starting at EPA 15mpg, 19mpg isn't going to be very impressive. You're still hypermiling, just with lower standards.

Quote:
The Grand Cherokee was geared so low that if you left it in D and coasted down any sizeable hill, it would actually slow down. You always had to keep your foot on the gas pedal
Same as the OP's Golf and my Rabbit in 5th gear.

Anyway, take a look at the "hypermile sleepers" thread. There's a link in my sig. There were lots of cars like you are asking about listed in that thread.

People on non-hypermiling forums routinely report 27-30mpg from post-1996 V6 Camaros, and one person even reported that mileage for a 2002 V8 Camaro. If you want to wait for the new one to come out (another year, IIRC), it's supposed to be EPA rated around there. I suspect that any of us here could easily squeeze 30mpg out of a V6 Camaro, either the new one or a 1996-or-later one.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
People on non-hypermiling forums routinely report 27-30mpg from post-1996 V6 Camaros, and one person even reported that mileage for a 2002 V8 Camaro. If you want to wait for the new one to come out (another year, IIRC), it's supposed to be EPA rated around there. I suspect that any of us here could easily squeeze 30mpg out of a V6 Camaro, either the new one or a 1996-or-later one.
It's a rare 97-2004 Corvette that DOESN'T report ~30mpg highway, with many above it. Camaros are a little less aerodynamic, so they tend to live in the 28mpg range on average for the V8s. The LS series of V8s are just wonderful motors for everything. Even the big heavy GTOs are in the 27mpg neighborhood. Having a factory Lean Cruise that you can turn on is always good too.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
Registered Member

my 3.0L auto Ford ranger is rated 17-20, without using the E85, my average after a year is around 22-24mpg. I wouldn't mind getting rid of it but i use it 1xs a week for recycling metals. I have always liked small cars but on my ride to work, I always see 1-2 accidents a week, mostly rear end hits.( no cell phone laws in delaware yet) small cars are kind of out of the question and my wife loves the truck ;(

ffvben is offline   Reply With Quote