Hypermiling as a business opportunity? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
Registered Member

I'd love to see that ppt (for free of course).

send it to my wife so she knows that I am not the only one out there that cares.

holycow, I think he doesn't care that much. before he found out that I had a reader (scangauge) the light had been on for about 2 months or so. He says his power is still there so resetting it still did some good.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:45 AM   #12
Registered Member

Timing is everything!

This is a timly thread to me. When gasoline was $1.00, I was driving a 1973 Buick LeSabre and getting 21mpg instead of 16 highway just off driving technique, but no one else cared. I was just a weird guy who's car always stalled at the lights (I shut it off, and it was a pretty loud car, so everyone knew when those first 2 over-rich cylinders fired!)
Today, people are listening when I say I am working on 40mpg from my minivan.
People told me I'd never get 23mpg from my Lincoln Mark 5 (460 V8 and 4600lbs). I did, and I was the only one who seemed to car. Gas was $1.75 at the time.
Today, when people see my business card, which says I am working on 40mpg, they say "Oh, cool. Can you do it?" I say "Without a doubt I can. Check the site every now and then and see how I'm doing"

It's all about timing. At $4.24 a gallon, people will try some pretty silly stuff if they think it will work. I just have to find and prove what does, and doesn't, and I am really confident they will come to me and buy what I get results from.
So yeah, I am using the gas prices, hypermileing (tho I still have much to learn) and my experience as a mechanic, machinist, and naval engineer to build a business.

WorkingOnWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I'd love to see that ppt (for free of course).

send it to my wife so she knows that I am not the only one out there that cares.

I'd be glad to send it. Keep in mind it's real basic info. My presentation was 2 hrs, not my ppt! But for some reason, though, it hit everyone as new and unheard of advice. Did I mention I work for a federal agency?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
Registered Member

bkrell,

sending you a PM

thanks in advance

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Any chance you could post the powerpoint somewhere for everyone? I'd like to see it too.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #16
Registered Member

Me too. Maybe you could just copy and paste the Power Point outline into a post -unless you have lots of cool pics and multimedia- then you'd need to post the whole file :-)
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #17
Registered Member

Now I can't possibly show it b/c it's been built up too much. It was just some basic fuel saving tips, the EPA's list of top fuel efficient cars by size class, plus links to fuel economy.gov, gasbuddy.com, and a video by Autoweek showing how driving style affected mpg in identical cars.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/video...small_wide.wmv

That was my surprise, that this basic stuff was stuff folks either didn't know or had forgotten.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
That's why we want to see it...I doubt anyone here is expecting to learn something new about saving gas from it, but I am interested in effective ways to present it to non-hypermilers.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #19

My wife's big boss (guy is in charge of maybe 100 or so people) was joking at me when he said, "Hey, I heard you're a hypermiler" I was surprised he knew the term. Asked him how he knew and my wife had mentioned how fanatical I am about mileage.

He had heard Hypermiler on CNN though.

The wife has mentioned I should teach people how to be efficient with their vehicles. I've plugged the Scangauge into a few peoples cars and showed them their driving style versus mine and the increase I get....it opened their eyes. (AND sold a few Scangauges too)
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:51 PM   #20
Registered Member

My boss mentioned that I should talk at the next company meeting about hypermiling also. Hmmmmm, I'm noting a trend here.

friz is offline   Reply With Quote