Hypermiling conditioning - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-05-2010, 04:17 AM   #11
Registered Member

Re: Hypermiling conditioning

The idea behind hypermiling is constantly pushing the limits of energy efficiency. If you think it is more or less just slow down and drive less aggressively, they are wrong. bitter hypermilers employ various techniques and measures to carry out dangerous or illegal in their quest for ultimate energy savings.

kristinthomas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:57 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinthomas21 View Post
bitter hypermilers employ various techniques and measures to carry out dangerous or illegal in their quest for ultimate energy savings.
Happy hypermilers generally limit themselves to safe practices.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:23 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinthomas21 View Post
The idea behind hypermiling is constantly pushing the limits of energy efficiency. If you think it is more or less just slow down and drive less aggressively, they are wrong. bitter hypermilers employ various techniques and measures to carry out dangerous or illegal in their quest for ultimate energy savings.
Somebody must have skipped breakfast huh Mr. crankypants?
I do agree on the highway speed thing though, I'll put the cruise on 70 here (flat FL) and I'll have people blow by me. Sixty on any major highway with a seventy limit can be dangerous.
Then again I've been going about ninety plus on an open stretch of I-75 and had an Audi R8 blast by at what I would guess to be one-fifty or so! I might have caught him if not for the darn rev-limiter in the Mazda.
Not!

Jim

Ignorance is lack of knowing; stupidity is false logic
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #14

@Kristinthomas21 - hypermiling does not automatically involve anything illegal. Here at GasSavers we do NOT encourage ANYTHING illegal or dangerous.

We do encourage better driving techniques, slowing down, and modifications to one's vehicle, including but not limited to fluid, lubrication, aerodynamics, and mechanical changes to help.

Most changes help monetarily as well, some do not. I don't know why anyone would want to be a bitter hypermiler, but I personally am a very happy hypermiler. I drive a Honda CRX and consistently get over 50% better mileage than the EPA estimates for the vehicle without doing a single thing that is illegal.

In nearly all freeway situations it is illegal to go lower than 20 miles per hour under the posted speed limit. In a few locations, notably Virginia, it's illegal to put your vehicle into neutral to coast, or turn off the engine of your vehicle while driving.

GasSavers' goal is to educate and help people achieve better fuel economy and to use less gas, with added goals of getting off foreign oil dependency.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101mpg View Post
In a few locations, notably Virginia, it's illegal to put your vehicle into neutral to coast
I believe that law is quite common, and is usually limited to downhill...nothing about level land or uphill (not that I do much uphill coasting).

As for minimum speeds...legal or not, 19mph below the speed limit on freeways around here is quite dangerous. All I'm willing to risk is 5mph below the limit, and only at the bottom of a P&G cycle. Perhaps speed limits are more generous or drivers are more obedient elsewhere.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:48 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I believe that law is quite common, and is usually limited to downhill...nothing about level land or uphill (not that I do much uphill coasting).

As for minimum speeds...legal or not, 19mph below the speed limit on freeways around here is quite dangerous. All I'm willing to risk is 5mph below the limit, and only at the bottom of a P&G cycle. Perhaps speed limits are more generous or drivers are more obedient elsewhere.
Watching traffic closely, and coasting ( I have a stick-shift) as much as possible helps. It does sometimes piss off the car behind you, when he is in a hurry to get to the red light. The real idea is drive to minimize brake usage. The laws here about driving slow say something about impeding traffic, but give no hard numbers. So I do this less on single lane roads. I get away with -5 here no problems, even during rush hour. Our max here in northwest Ohio is 65.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slurp812 View Post
...The real idea is drive to minimize brake usage...
Well said! Every time you brake, you discard energy that you already spent fuel to make; and then you'll need to spend fuel making that energy again.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #18
Registered Member

memorize traffic signal durations and traffic patterns. time of day dictates what route i take as well.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote