Hypermiling in the news - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
Hypermiling in the news

So, Im kinda surprised there isnt a topic on this already, but did anyone see the thing on hypermiling that CNN news did?

Old 06-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MiddleMike
No, in fact I didn't (don't watch much television at all). Was it neutral, positive or negative? Are we "wackos" according to them, or guys with some cool ideas? Or maybe wackos with cool ideas? Or are we a general danger to life, liberty and the American Way(tm)?

MiddleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleMike View Post
No, in fact I didn't (don't watch much television at all). Was it neutral, positive or negative? Are we "wackos" according to them, or guys with some cool ideas? Or maybe wackos with cool ideas? Or are we a general danger to life, liberty and the American Way(tm)?
they probly are saying that our efforts actually are counter productive in some way or another.

couldnt find anything when i did a search for "hypermiling" on their site... what was the report titled?
gripforce light flywheel
dc 4-1 header
Was getting about 30mpg (40%HW 60%pizza delivery city driving) - Up to 33.89 w 40psi tire pressure!
meangreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MiddleMike
Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreen View Post
they probly are saying that our efforts actually are counter productive in some way or another.
They're certainly counter-productive as far as Mobil Oil is concerned.
MiddleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
Registered Member

No, it actually showed hypermiling in a "good-light" and did a pretty good job of it. They interviewed a guy that was an avid hypermiler and he talked about exactly what hypermiling was and how to do it. They took a car ride and he did EOC, lack of braking, high speed cornering, etc etc..the norm. Then he talked about his scangauge and at the end, the man doing the interview told everyone where they could buy a scanguage.

They also went on to do another segment about fuel economy facts/myths dealing with windows vs. AC, general maintenance, tire pressure, etc etc..

The one thing I kinda disagree with is that they said a dirty air filter giving you worst mpg is false. Some of the airfilters I pull out of cars are so insanely dirty, they have to be cutting fuel economy. Their reasoning way, computer controls the fuel to air mixture, resulting in similar MPG, but less power...I dunno...
Old 06-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog671 View Post
No, it actually showed hypermiling in a "good-light" and did a pretty good job of it. They interviewed a guy that was an avid hypermiler and he talked about exactly what hypermiling was and how to do it. They took a car ride and he did EOC, lack of braking, high speed cornering, etc etc..the norm. Then he talked about his scangauge and at the end, the man doing the interview told everyone where they could buy a scanguage.

They also went on to do another segment about fuel economy facts/myths dealing with windows vs. AC, general maintenance, tire pressure, etc etc..

The one thing I kinda disagree with is that they said a dirty air filter giving you worst mpg is false. Some of the airfilters I pull out of cars are so insanely dirty, they have to be cutting fuel economy. Their reasoning way, computer controls the fuel to air mixture, resulting in similar MPG, but less power...I dunno...
LOL, my G/f's cat is plugged up, kinda typical on her car (GM) but the mileage has been going up. it just sucks if you want to tromp it. It stumbles, and pukes a bit. the computer says shes averaging 28 mpg with a 3.8l v6! I did pump up the tires a bit, and she does lots of highway driving...
Old 06-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thats really good, considering my 3.8l v6 is rated at 17mpg city...What is it, firebird?
Old 06-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
Registered Member

I saw a follow-up to this just 2 min ago. They had Wayne from cleanmpg explain to one of the reporters how he hypermiles in his accord. He also hypermiled the reporter's yukon, using EOC, no braking, hard cornering, no AC, windows up, drafting, etc. After the report, one anchor said it was "funny, but dangerous", the other female anchor said drafting seems dangerous and that multi-tasking while hypermiling is dangerous. The reporter was giving a live-broadcast from his yukon, wearing an ice vest and it looked like he was close to getting into an accident with a cab. The anchors got worried and the female again said that hypermiling while on a cell phone or doing a live broadcast is dangerous. They said that its something that most drivers probably couldn't handle thinking about.

I don't think they put hypermiling in a good light. Rather, its something extremists and fanatics do. It was almost like a joke.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Actually, they have a good point. Many drivers can barely handle driving normally, let alone with their cell phone and dvd player, and then to pile on hypermiling too? Hypermiling requires lots of thinking about how the car works and how traffic works, and lots of acting with your hands and feet and eyes...
Old 06-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAteam View Post
I saw a follow-up to this just 2 min ago. They had Wayne from cleanmpg explain to one of the reporters how he hypermiles in his accord. He also hypermiled the reporter's yukon, using EOC, no braking, hard cornering, no AC, windows up, drafting, etc. After the report, one anchor said it was "funny, but dangerous", the other female anchor said drafting seems dangerous and that multi-tasking while hypermiling is dangerous. The reporter was giving a live-broadcast from his yukon, wearing an ice vest and it looked like he was close to getting into an accident with a cab. The anchors got worried and the female again said that hypermiling while on a cell phone or doing a live broadcast is dangerous. They said that its something that most drivers probably couldn't handle thinking about.

I don't think they put hypermiling in a good light. Rather, its something extremists and fanatics do. It was almost like a joke.

Yea, that sounds like the same thing I say, but I'm going to have to disagree with you about the "joke" thing...