Hypermiling is saving me money in other ways - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #11
Registered Member

390 miles so far on my first full tank test in my 06 Corolla and still above the 1/2 tank mark. I found myself getting settled in b4 starting car too as well as not going to fast food places... This has my mindset changing to not waste ANYWHERE.
2 bad side effects to it though:
1. I'm driving my family nuts.
2. I'm "actually" having gas pump withdrawals.
I want to go to the pump and fill up to see how close to 60MPG I'm at right now and have to stop myself.

mpg_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #12
Supporting Member

stay strong my friend stay strong you will get threw this!

Old 06-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #13
Registered Member

wow got a few pointers from this thread. Some I already do though
Old 06-21-2007, 01:55 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_maniac View Post
... I'm "actually" having gas pump withdrawals.
I want to go to the pump and fill up to see how close to 60MPG I'm at right now and have to stop myself.
I would have withdrawals too except I tank up every day or two. About 4 gal/day for my commute + my two rehearsals weekly. So I could go three days on a 15 gal capacity tank, but 1-2 days is nice for me.

In my case I have an excuse - my car is too old for a ScanGauge and I don't really want to mess with the injection and speedo wiring to support a SuperMid. Tanking up gives me frequent mpg feedback.

If filling up takes you out of your way then of course there's an FE hit. But in my case my preferred station is right outside my work entrance. There's no significant penalty - in fact I'll sometiems FAS in there with engine off.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:14 PM   #15
Registered Member

My Station is on the way too, but my brother (Who's been laying it on pretty thick with his ultra FE VW Jetta TDI) says that filling up everyday will not show reliable results and that is why my 52.71MPG average doesn't really beat him. So that is why I'm trying out a whole tank. But I'm wondering how I have 390 miles with about 57% of my tank still left? I do not know if it is a myth that the bottom half of the tank goes faster than the top half. If it goes about the same then I am looking to get a little over 830 miles on a 13.2 tank. Which is like 63MPG???? Is this realilistic???
Old 06-21-2007, 02:30 PM   #16
Supporting Member

all i know is i fill up every 2-3 days because this is the only way i can afford it. if you fill up more it is easyer to get fe over a shorter time then a long time
Old 06-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #17
Supporting Member

mpg_maniac -

Quote:
My Station is on the way too, but my brother (Who's been laying it on pretty thick with his ultra FE VW Jetta TDI) says that filling up everyday will not show reliable results and that is why my 52.71MPG average doesn't really beat him. So that is why I'm trying out a whole tank. But I'm wondering how I have 390 miles with about 57% of my tank still left? I do not know if it is a myth that the bottom half of the tank goes faster than the top half. If it goes about the same then I am looking to get a little over 830 miles on a 13.2 tank. Which is like 63MPG???? Is this realilistic???
I don't think the dials on the console are linear. I do think that you should apply the "GasSavers" rule in the sense that you should have 90 days of gaslogs before you come to a conclusion. That will give you a good way to compare to other GasSavers.

Don't forget that he has more energy content in his diesel fuel, so he should have a handicap .

Engineering Conversion Factors
http://astro.berkeley.edu/~wright/fuel_energy.html
Quote:
Liquid Fuel MJ/litre Litre/Tonne GJ/tonne
Gasoline (auto) 34.2 1360 46.4
Diesel Oil (auto) 38.6 1182 45.6
Assuming the above holds true :

38.6 / 34.2 = 1.128 => 113% => Diesel has 13% more energy content than gas. Other diesel owners can chime in on this and correct me of I am wrong. If you apply a handicap, there also has to be a correction for emissions.

Anyway, 52 MPG in a 2006 Corolla? WOW. Have you described your commute and strategies in other threads yet?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #18
Registered Member

Excellent, excellent! Don't go to charbucks, and get some excersize. Perfect.
parasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:47 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Anyway, 52 MPG in a 2006 Corolla? WOW. Have you described your commute and strategies in other threads yet?
My commute to work is mostly highway 124 miles round trip. I EOC for about 8-10 miles of that, drive 50-55, keep a steady throttle uphill even if I lose speed, no A/C (Keep a frozen water bottle in between my legs for most of the HOT day trips. But my biggest advantage is probably that there is VERY little if any traffic because I work Noon-7PM.

From what I have learned about my driving and route and after I get a SG2, I think I should average in the high 50's...
I Hope???
Old 06-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #20
Supporting Member

mpg_maniac -

Quote:
My commute to work is mostly highway 124 miles round trip. I EOC for about 8-10 miles of that, drive 50-55, keep a steady throttle uphill even if I lose speed, no A/C (Keep a frozen water bottle in between my legs for most of the HOT day trips. But my biggest advantage is probably that there is VERY little if any traffic because I work Noon-7PM.

From what I have learned about my driving and route and after I get a SG2, I think I should average in the high 50's...
I Hope???
Ok, then I will say that you are EOC for 9 miles. Let's play the ratio game to predict your non EOC MPG :

? MPG / 52 MPG = (124 - 9 ) miles / 124 miles = 115 miles / 124 miles

=> ? / 52 = 115 / 124

=> ? MPG = (115/124) * 52 = 48.22 MPG => 48 MPG without EOC.

So I would say that your non-EOC driving techniques and your control over your top speed is allowing you to reach 48 MPG in your Corolla. Great stuff!

But this is just a guess on my part,

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote