Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2007, 06:51 PM   #41
Supporting Member

landon -

Quote:
Originally Posted by landon View Post
Well, here is what hypermiling did for me yesterday. I was followed for several miles by a MOHP Dodge Ram. When I reached my destination, I was questioned at length about alcohol and drug use. Another trooper arrived after about five minutes. When I asked what I had done wrong, I was told I was driving "abnormally." Apparently driving 10 mph over the limit is normal, so everyone else was okay. On the bright side, I found a new route with fewer lunatics today, and got better mileage.
Sorry to hear that, but I have been waiting for this to happen. What speed were you driving? 5 or 1 or 0 MPH under? It would really suck if you were right at the speed limit. The cop is looking for the "outlier", the person that sticks out from the crowd. Maybe a GasSaver sticker would have helped you in this instance?!?!?! It's interesting that they waited until you reached your destination. That makes me think that you must have been squeeky clean legal in terms of everything you did.

Still,

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:21 PM   #42
Registered Member

I was averaging about 10 under the limit. Everything else was by the book. Right lane, signals. I think the reason he didn't stop me is he was a commercial enforcement trooper. He just kept me busy until his backup arrived. I didn't divulge my reason for driving slowly because I was doing some coasting and didn't want to get into the legality of that practice. I'm still new at this. I'll have to learn to adjust my technique to match conditions.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #43
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by landon View Post
I was averaging about 10 under the limit. Everything else was by the book. Right lane, signals. I think the reason he didn't stop me is he was a commercial enforcement trooper. He just kept me busy until his backup arrived. I didn't divulge my reason for driving slowly because I was doing some coasting and didn't want to get into the legality of that practice. I'm still new at this. I'll have to learn to adjust my technique to match conditions.
Bad luck It sounds like your driving was okay to the condition (I wasn't there, so I can't tell you ).

Even so, it's a speed limit. As long as you're not going under a posted speed minimum, you're fine. I had taken a defensive driving course (for insurance purposes), and the recommendation was to bounce between the speed limit and 5mph under (conditions permitting) to keep you from getting bored. Hardly erratic - more periodic

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:39 PM   #44
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
We could atone for our hypermiling sins by surreptitiously inflating other cars' underinflated tires with our 12v compressors in parking lots. Forgive me Michelin Man, for I have sinned...
kinda thing that makes you say "hummm"
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:33 AM   #45
Registered Member

Ok so call me greedy, but my goal in Hypermiling is to save me money, anyone been to the grocery lately? Soon it'll be a choice between eating and sleeping in your car at work to save gas (fewer trips).

I am a very conservative person, do I believe the climate is changing? Yes I dont know however if we are the cause or it is natural or a combination of the two. I also realized that no matter the cause I dont mind doing my part to lessen our dependance on foreign oil, and keep lots of critters and green places around for my kids and grandkids to enjoy. We are not going to change driving habits here until fuel is 6-7 bucks a gallon (by mid summer 08 I think) . And even then by 2012 there will be more drivers in China and India with less "clean" autos to more than make up for our change.

I guess I'm trying to say that each one of us is but a drop in the bucket, but at least we get some personal satisfaction and hopefully a little good "karma" from doing our part.

Rikki
rikkitikkitavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:27 AM   #46
Registered Member

interesting thread. ill bring up some points of interest.
a speed limit is just that, a limit. it isn't a speed requirement. . there are minimum speed limits. thankfully these are normally 45mph and under. and probably only apply if they are posted.

down here in florida the turnpike has a speed maximum limit of 70 and a minimum of 45. so its perfectly legal to meander along at 45mph. and if theres little to no traffic, ill move along at 50mph, which is my optimum speed for mileage. i wouldn't dare go 45 or 50 when theres traffic. i would get a big suv up my *** in no time. but when traffic is lite and theres no one to draft, yeah ill do 50.
my speed is proportionate to how much traffic there is.

however, my mileage at 50mph without drafting is equal to my mileage at 75mph drafting a semi. so as soon as a semi comes barreling by i floor it and catch up to draft. if i can get 45mpg at 50 without drafting, and i can also get 45mpg at 75 drafting, of course ill take the drafting every change i can.

as far as pulse and glide, i believe its stupid to gain economy by forcing others to lose it. ill never do the pulse and glide. even if there was no traffic at all. its just stupid and i would feel bad for doing it.

my ultimate goal is to be as efficient as possible while not causing too many drivers to be angry behind me. for me that means no p&g, but i draft every semi i can. i combine trips to the max. tweak my motor to increase mpg, even at the expense of emissions.
csrmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrmel View Post
ill take the drafting every change i can...

...its stupid to gain economy by forcing others to lose it. ill never do the pulse and glide. even if there was no traffic at all...
Whatever, genius.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:30 AM   #48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
We could atone for our hypermiling sins by surreptitiously inflating other cars' underinflated tires with our 12v compressors in parking lots. Forgive me Michelin Man, for I have sinned...
lmao!!! man you guys are hillarious!!!

https://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...onda-civic.htm

stupid ricer... useless wings are for pinguins!
93dagsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:24 AM   #49
Registered Member

Wink

One of the big things people should think about is how much gas they burn sitting at lights. Take 30seconds or better of fuel times the number of cars at the light, every light, both ways. We are talking about a lot of fuel in a days time. It only takes less than 5 seconds to start a car after the light turns and if there are cars in front of you by the time they start to roll on the light change, you are ready to go. Just something to think about.
johnwolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:25 AM   #50
Site Team / Moderator

I've been known to shut the engine off at traffic lights. I haven't done it in a while, but when I do it I can usually get real close to my vehicle's highway EPA rating driving in city traffic.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote