Idle time before killing the engine for FE. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2007, 05:55 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to shblanchard Send a message via Yahoo to shblanchard
With regards to the drivers behind you:
I travel the same route commuting, so I got into the habit of watching the stoplights to the right of me, as well as the one in the left turn lane. Watching those gives me an idea of when my light is about to turn green, so I can restart the engine just before it turns. That will mean a few less ticked off drivers behind me...

shblanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
Quote:
Originally Posted by shblanchard View Post
I travel the same route commuting, so I got into the habit of watching the stoplights to the right of me, as well as the one in the left turn lane. Watching those gives me an idea of when my light is about to turn green, so I can restart the engine just before it turns. That will mean a few less ticked off drivers behind me...
+1 watch the other lights at the intersection, when they turn yellow, start your car

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #13
DRW
Registered Member

I also like to put the car in first gear and push the clutch down before starting. My motor starts right away, no delay from lengthy cranking time. As soon as the engine catches I'll let the clutch out and go. There's no reason to let the engine idle after starting, don't delay, just go.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #14
Registered Member

why not just start it in gear

but i was thinking, wouldnt it depend on the engine size? obviously a 4 banger uses less fuel than a v8... kinda like a 16hp lawnmower engien vs a 3hp one. 3 can last for quite longer at the same rpm as a 16hp one given equal ammounts of fuel...

my truck i could stop at lights, chevette, i dont think so...lol can be tricky to start sometimes...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #15
Registered Member

Just make sure that when stopped at a light, your car is able to turn back on...once, I think because of this cold weather, (mind you, I have an automatic), I was FASing a couple times, and on the stretch before my house, it wouldn't start (usually when the engines warm, just crank one and its started) ...I had to let it crank a couple times before it would start.

Oh well.

I also found out that dropping my car from neutral to drive when the engine is off and I'm going 5-10 mph...does absolutely nothing. Good of honda to not let it engage, I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
P.S. I must be a wierdo as I think just because a guy can afford to do something, doesn't mean he should. I can afford to buy 100 gallons of gas several times a month, pour it on the ground, light it (or not)... but I don't think I should.
GasSavers_Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #16
DRW
Registered Member

Vette0wner wrote: "why not just start it in gear "
Always the experimenter, I tried that once. It was unpleasant
A few cylinders fired, but the motor was turning really slow, like 300rpm, the entire driveline was jerking and bucking.

If only I could use the starter to push the car a few feet without starting the gas engine, then I could move the car a little when I mis calculate how far it is to the parking spot, or when stopped traffic creeps up a few feet at a time. I guess that's what hybrids are for.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #17
Registered Member

A couple points. When I worked a UPS we had drivers starting in gear. It was noticeably harder on the ring gear when they did that. We had a driver that could take a ring gear out in just a few months of city deliveries. On most modern cars you need to depress the clutch to start anyway.

As far as shutting down at the light I am quicker than most drivers including my restart. There were a couple times when I screwed up but they were few and far between. I sit behind people driving normal all the time and they don't even push the clutch down to put the thing in gear until the light turns green. I am not that slow. Like others have said. Watch the cross traffic light and get ready.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:47 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shblanchard View Post
Standard operating procedure for me with a stickshift and that's trickled down to watching it even when I'm piloting an automatic...
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:44 AM   #19
Registered Member

As you're cruising down the street with a green light facing you, keep an eye on that crosswalk signal on the upcoming cross street. If you can see it's showing "walk," figure on the light staying green for you and cruise on through. If it's flashing "don't walk," the light will be changing soon, and you may want to speed up (gently or maybe even punching it) to avoid the impending red light. If you see the "don't walk" is flashing, start coasting, because it's going to change very soon and you will have thrown away all the precious momentum you worked so hard to attain, not to mention the fuel wasted idling. In my wife's 99 Windstar, two minutes idling at .35 GPH uses about one and a half ounces of gas. At $3.25 (Los Angeles price) per gallon, that's about four cents.

So use the crosswalk signal and save.

John Berger
sprintervanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #20
DRW
Registered Member

In downtown San Francisco they've installed new crosswallk signals that show an actual countdown so you know how much time is left before the signal changes. It's very helpfull.