If you owned a Bugatti Veyron, would you hypermiling it, too? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: If given a supercar, would you ALSO try to hypermile it, too?
Yes 13 61.90%
No 8 38.10%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2015, 07:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

If you owned a Bugatti Veyron, would you hypermiling it, too?

A Bugatti Veyron gets 5 city / 15 highway.

Hypermiling is SO a part of me,that I'm unable to stop doing it no matter what vehicle I drive. Are you the same?

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #2
Registered Member

I enjoy very fast cars, but I also enjoy conserving fuel and slashing emissions too. So most of the time, if I had a fast car, I would be driving it slowly. That's why I'm becoming a fan of cars that are fast and economical too!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

I just remembered an interesting fact from top gear, at top speed (252 mph) the Veyron will use 100 litres of fuel in 10 minutes (that's 26 US gallons!)

Old 07-13-2015, 08:44 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
I just remembered an interesting fact from top gear, at top speed (252 mph) the Veyron will use 100 litres of fuel in 10 minutes (that's 26 US gallons!)
Thanks for your fun response, Draigflag!

Along with your comment, here's a visual demo of how fast gas passes through a dragster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfbV1PlJMeY
Old 07-13-2015, 08:57 AM   #5
Registered Member

That's a scary amount of fuel, way too much for any vehicle regardless of how many thousand hp it has!

The only thing with hypermiling a fast car is that you begin questioning the point of owning such a car, and you get people looking at you saying "why own a car like that and drive it slowly?" at least that's what I say everytime I'm forced to overtake a Ferrari with its 75+ aged owner travelling at 45 Mph everywhere...

I used to have a Sporty little car, but I drove it slow to get good fuel economy, that's why I changed to my little diesel, it suits my laid back nature more, but if I want to drive quick and aggressively, my fuel economy won't drop below 50 Mpg anyway. Win win.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
That's a scary amount of fuel, way too much for any vehicle regardless of how many thousand hp it has!

The only thing with hypermiling a fast car is that you begin questioning the point of owning such a car, and you get people looking at you saying "why own a car like that and drive it slowly?" at least that's what I say everytime I'm forced to overtake a Ferrari with its 75+ aged owner travelling at 45 Mph everywhere...

I used to have a Sporty little car, but I drove it slow to get good fuel economy, that's why I changed to my little diesel, it suits my laid back nature more, but if I want to drive quick and aggressively, my fuel economy won't drop below 50 Mpg anyway. Win win.
Handling finesse is SO much more practical for daily fun over raw horsepower. My other car is a MX-5. It being the world's best selling sportscar is a testament to it's value.

In the right hands and with the right tires, that humble little car can probably make a 90 degree, right turn at any intersection as fast as any supercar.

Draigflag, your earlier comment inspired me to have a bit of fun and post this Fuelly message:

http://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/hyp...ous-17941.html

Cheers, Doug in Oakland, California
Old 07-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #7
Site Team / Moderator

I said yes, however I have absolutely no desire to own a vehicle like that.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #8
Registered Member

Did you also know that a routine service costs about $20,000, a set of tyres on the SS version cost $30,000 and will last about 15 minutes at top speed! Then every few thousand miles the wheels have to be stress tested for cracks etc, that's about another $35,000. To run a car like that would cost 100,000's of $$$ alone.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Did you also know that a routine service costs about $20,000, a set of tyres on the SS version cost $30,000 and will last about 15 minutes at top speed! Then every few thousand miles the wheels have to be stress tested for cracks etc, that's about another $35,000. To run a car like that would cost 100,000's of $$$ alone.
Fun stuff! I read a story where someone decided it was cheaper to take a private jet and have their Veyron trailered to a destination than to drive it there.

Along those lines, a buddy bought a Tesla. They start at $70k, but I heard they're more like $120k after you get the most popular options.

In California you might was well call the sales tax 10%. My friend paid more in sales tax than I paid for my lovely, although used MX-5. With the $113k savings that's like getting "free gas for life"!
Old 07-13-2015, 11:15 PM   #10
Registered Member

Oh. And, as expensive as the Veyron may be to buy, Volkswagon STILL loses money.