Impending Yellows, Floor it or Stop? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-12-2006, 05:50 PM   #11
*shrug*

Quote:I also recall reading

Quote:
I also recall reading in the owner's manual that the transmission "learns" the driver's habits and shifts accordingly. Would that indicate a TCU?
I think so, yes, not sure though.

Quote:
Also, what folks may not realize is that it takes lots more throttle input with the HAI to get up to and stay at speed.
This is good, from my understanding. I did a bit of research and it seems the idea is really to make you open the throttle more to get the same amount of gas in, which reduces pumping losses and FE goes up.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:05 PM   #12
Registered Member

Re: Quote:I also recall reading

[quote=SVOboy
This is good, from my understanding. I did a bit of research and it seems the idea is really to make you open the throttle more to get the same amount of gas in, which reduces pumping losses and FE goes up. [/quote]

I have experienced that with the addition. A couple of years ago, I posted - on another forum - how to possibly wire the transmission selector to stay in the gear selected with a switch. No one knew if this was possible -- kind of make a manual shift gate, or "gear hold" switch, but I think it's more ECU related and would require manipulation of the chip. 1st and 2nd hold the gear, even from start, but 3rd and 4th would help too.

RH77

Old 03-13-2006, 03:00 AM   #13
Registered Member

This is what I have learned.

This is what I have learned. A WAI or HAI is bad for the street because at low end rpm especially on an automatic it kills mpg. On the freeway it pulls the car better and wastes gas too. That is the reason I got 31mpg when I went on that 200 mile trip for Matt.

Also our cars are more advanced that is why we got a TCU, it controls all the shifting. I did find out one interesting thing. When I reset my ecu my car doesn't downshift while using cruise control on hills unless it's really steep. So now on the freeway even with 2 people in the car when I go up hills it stays in overdrive. Which is better for mpg. Also I have reset my TCU too, but nothing changed, I don't think. It involves like 25 steps, a lot of pedal pushing, turning the key in special combinations. You could give it a try. But reseting the ecu did help.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote