New Scangauge, The Kiwi - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-23-2008, 07:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

New Scangauge, The Kiwi

In the December Popular Mechanics in the section on MPG devices it shows a new type Scanguage. It's billed as a consumer oriented Scanguage, one that's more user friendly, a colorful display that can display sceen savers. All sorts of stuff, almost being billed as a toy. The Kiwi does have some neat features, like smoothness of your acceleration, how much you use your brakes, and if you accelerate too slowly. It also has a tutorial to teach you how to drive more economically, aparently the tutorial is a half an hour. In the article there is no mention of a website or price. The device fits in the ODBII port, so it's just like a Scangauge.

GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
It looks really cool.
http://www.plxkiwi.com/
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=8224
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=8388

Ought to make a good platform for hacking something even cooler out of it, too.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

I looked at that when I was looking to get a SG, but decided on the SG because it was a lot cheaper.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Registered Member

A clubsmartcar member bought one and says it sucks.
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Found it.

http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?s=...dpost&p=210726
September 8, 2008
Quote:
Got the PLX Kiwi working 'okay' in the Suzuki. The MPG screen at least was functioning as it should with realistic numbers. So that was positive.

The Green Driving 'tests' need further exploration - some don't seem to work, or perhaps they need more explanation on *how* they work.

The flower animation screen was underwhelming. Perhaps an hour long drive on the freeway at 80 kmh would get it to spring to life, but in the Suzuki, the tulip just kept opening one petal and closing up as soon as there was any sort of incline.

The buttons seem, well, not precise enough. I need to use it for another day to get used to it, but it seemed I had to reselect buttons several times over on occasion to be able to navigate - they're a bit picky.

Will delve into a much larger review, with pictures soon enough. Don't rush out and buy one just yet. I showed it to a Scangauge user, and they gave it a 3/10. But I think it must have more going for it besides the fact it is packaged like and sorta resembles an ipod. The colour is excellent, and it is very visible.
It seems he hasn't done the larger review yet.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
A clubsmartcar member bought one and says it sucks.
PLX Devices has a BAD reputation for selling crappy products. I paid $600 for a PLX R500 datalogging unit and it sucks as well.
2point2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
Registered Member

That thing is just "pretty looking trash"..... I will keep my Scanguage.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
Registered Member

I want a cruise control for fuel economy, personally. They always say cruise controls are efficient until they hit hills, so all it'd have to do is ease off a bit. There's a patent on file for this, but so far I haven't heard of one in a real product. All these indicators have got to be distracting people from safe driving!

Failing that, I'd rather have a computer that tells me what pedal position is optimal, rather than showing me numbers. Numbers mean I have to translate the abstract concept into actions, whereas a simple bi-color LED bar graph showing where I am and where I need to be for optimal mpg would be ideal. It'd change color for too slow vs too fast and you'd just ignore it when conditions (or preferences) conflicted.

I had a ScanGuage II, but after a week I had learned the tricks so I sold it. It did help to keep you focused on your driving though.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
Registered Member

I bought the Kiwi and am happy so far. It is graphic compared to Scangauge and easier to read while driving. The bar gauges are large and you don't have to read or digest numbers.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
Registered Member

The cheaper Kiwi is coming out the beginning of this month.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote