Newbie with some questions about changing driving - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
Registered Member

Newbie with some questions about changing driving

I just started reading stuff on here about hypermiler and whatnot so I am wondering how to do some of this stuff. Btw, I have an automatic transmission 97 Cutlass Supreme that averages 24-26 mpg.

First of all, is pulse and glide just for hybrids? Secondly, with that you are putting it in neutral AND actually turning the car off (thus losing the power steering, power brakes, and whatnot)?

Also, is it good (good FE + not bad on the car) to put it in neutral and coast to stop or is putting it in neutral meaningless with the engine still on? Keep in mind I have an automatic trans.

tggroo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
EH3
Registered Member

IMO with automatics, it's pointless to shift into neutral and would seem to cause more strain on the trans than necessary.

you'll notice with automatics when you let off the throttle your RPMs drop to idle speed anyway.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
AMX
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EH3 View Post
IMO with automatics, it's pointless to shift into neutral and would seem to cause more strain on the trans than necessary.

you'll notice with automatics when you let off the throttle your RPMs drop to idle speed anyway.
Usually the RPM's don't drop. At least with newer cars. Until you start slowing down.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
Registered Member

It will help to go into neutral IF it would otherwise hold it in gear at high rpm. If it drops down to idle rpm anyway, there's no benefit. As long as the engine is running, there's no danger at all to the transmission.
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
EH3
Registered Member

my wife's 99 cherokee does the second i let off the throttle.

i can't recall the last time i drove an automatic that didn't. i always thought it did it to save on fuel.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
Registered Member

My wife's 04 Odyssey holds the gear almost all the time. I suspect other Honda autos are similar.

Yours is better for FE.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
Pulse and glide is not just for hybrids. I have an automatic and shift to neutral often. It depends on if you need to maintain speed or slow down for a light.I usually don't turn the engine off unless I know I'm going to come to a complete stop. Coasting to a light in gear is better than using brakes,because the wheels turn the motor instead of the force of the pistons.Coasting in Neutral is more efficient because you don't lose speed as quickly and can coast further;providing there is space to do so.
When coasting with the engine off, you still have one good brake application,so don't get back off the brake and reapply. I lightly apply the brakes to slow down and gently increase pressure as I near where I need to stop. Power steering will be lost. so just don't do it when you need to turn or be prepared to apply elbow grease.
Check to see if your car can be FLAT TOWED. If not, there's a transmission lube problem that could cause damage coasting with the engine off.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
EH3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
Yours is better for FE.
lol, there's nothing FE about the IL6 cherokee's. i'm lucky to get 18 highway with a tail wind and no load.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
Registered Member

Haha, yeah, you're right.
The whole package is bad, but the transmission is better than mine.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hateful View Post
Pulse and glide is not just for hybrids. I have an automatic and shift to neutral often. It depends on if you need to maintain speed or slow down for a light.I usually don't turn the engine off unless I know I'm going to come to a complete stop. Coasting to a light in gear is better than using brakes,because the wheels turn the motor instead of the force of the pistons.Coasting in Neutral is more efficient because you don't lose speed as quickly and can coast further;providing there is space to do so.
When coasting with the engine off, you still have one good brake application,so don't get back off the brake and reapply. I lightly apply the brakes to slow down and gently increase pressure as I near where I need to stop. Power steering will be lost. so just don't do it when you need to turn or be prepared to apply elbow grease.
Check to see if your car can be FLAT TOWED. If not, there's a transmission lube problem that could cause damage coasting with the engine off.
checked the manual, it says it shouldn't be towed on the drive wheels. So my car pretty much can't be flat towed unless I use dollys or something under the front wheels. So then I can't use pulse and glide with my car?

tggroo7 is offline   Reply With Quote