P&G not helpful in Saturn SL2 - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-24-2008, 08:34 AM   #11
Registered Member

I'm working w/ someone selling his '02 SL 5sp.... that would put me into the 40's condsidering I don't drive much highway.

Aside from that, I called Napa and they warranty the thermostat I put in, so it's coming out and another is swapping in, probably this evening.

Might as well spend some time working the heat shield for the HAI as well.

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #12
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post

Just wanted to say, for me anyway, P&G (usually done from 55mph to 40mph) has yielded what looks to be ZERO benefit. I'm at 279 miles this tank, generally fill up at 300 miles, I'm bearing down on the "E" mark on the fuel gauge which will put me right at 300 once I hit it.

Looks to be another 30 mpg tank, but I'm thinking P&G did next to nothing for helping the mileage. I also fabbed a HAI halfway through this gas tank and it too appears to not be much help. I guess I need to finish that heat shield and fab that grill block. I'm seeing 150*F IAT at operating temp from the HAI, but I'm still wondering why my new thermostat is opening at 170*F when it was a stock replacement from Napa, supposed to be 192*F.
Call me a newbie, but what exactly is P&G. Is it a form of driving where you are non-agressive and shifting the car in neutral whenever possible? Also I'm confused on HAI? I read these terms constantly on these forums but unsure what they are...

SolidLiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Aside from that, I called Napa and they warranty the thermostat I put in, so it's coming out and another is swapping in, probably this evening.
I wonder what it is about Saturns and thermostats. I had a '93 and replaced the thermostat when I was living in Phoenix. Turns out it was bad, ended up blowing the radiator about 1 week after driving cross country from AZ to MD.

Funny.
dosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
So would you suggest I go to the dealer for the thermostat? Sucks, the Napa one I put in was $17 w/ my discount!
After having problems with aftermarket thermostats I only use oem. Tried a non oem in a 94 SL1 last winter. Car would not heat up. The third try was with an oem. Worked with great fast heat. Another thing to keep in mind is the housing check valve. Saturn sells the t-stat for 17.00 and the t-stat with housing for around 35. Those are on line prices. I get my parts from Saturn of Glen Burnie. Order on line or call an 800 #. I also have 4 post 96 Saturns and using the scangauge all read 190-195F warmed up.

Steve
tvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:40 PM   #15
Registered Member

Hmmm if they were that much trouble I'd figure a way of putting in a housing for one of the standard type $4 thermostats.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:14 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidSnake View Post
Call me a newbie, but what exactly is P&G. Is it a form of driving where you are non-agressive and shifting the car in neutral whenever possible? Also I'm confused on HAI? I read these terms constantly on these forums but unsure what they are...
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=7428

P&G: Pulse & Glide. Briefly explained, it involves accelerating and then coasting in neutral repeatedly, instead of just cruising at a steady speed.

HAI: Hot Air Intake. The intake air is heated before it gets into the engine.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #17
Registered Member

I'm gonna give NAPA another try since I deal w/ them through my work and know the guys pretty well, I'm not sure if it's warranty or not, I mean, how do you prove a thermostat isn't working properly? They said bring it and and they'd exchange it, if that doesn't work, I'll get my money's value back in parts the next time when I'll change it out w/ OEM.

The problem is the water neck goes into the block just under the A/C compressor, I'm seriously doubting any way/shape/form of alternative housing or modification to utilize a different style thermostat.... besides, I really like the design of these specific thermostats, they just sorta snap into place in the water neck and then you swap o-rings and you're done... no adhesives, no "line it up perfect" like a SBC, no gaskets.

I'm over 300 miles right now and I'm still tetering on the "E" mark, i'm thinking of running it up to 330 so I have roll the odometer over to 140k, I'm about 17 miles away right now! I'm a nerd, but that excites me! What better way to cross another milestone mark then by doing so w/ my best ever MPG? sweeeeeeeet! I'm thining it'll only be 31.xx though, still, this tank is nearly all city.
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 06-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #18
Registered Member

31.37 mpg.... so lets say P&G added that extra 1 mpg to this tank. I drive 8k mi. per year roughly, that's only a savings of $32 at $4/gal.... I don't think that's worth it considering the workout the transmission gets. I may stop P&G except at a few key spots that I know about on certain interstates around here where I can get more than 1 mile for free, and those will actually be EOC miles, not P&G
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 06-26-2008, 05:43 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
31.37 mpg.... so lets say P&G added that extra 1 mpg to this tank. I drive 8k mi. per year roughly, that's only a savings of $32 at $4/gal.... I don't think that's worth it considering the workout the transmission gets. I may stop P&G except at a few key spots that I know about on certain interstates around here where I can get more than 1 mile for free, and those will actually be EOC miles, not P&G
I have an SL2 as well, only 3 years newer and I wonder too if you actually save gas turning the engine off or if the restart actually hurts fuel economy because it could use more gas to start than to actually just leave it on for that little hill here or there. You would think that the starter and the transmission would seriously hurt from all the shifting and starting.

Hell, the most I do is shift it in neutral whenever possible, I noticed that it doesn't matter as much when I first start the car and drive the first couple of miles in to "warm it up" because the rpm are wayy to high when I shift it in neutral(1.8 rpm), but when it "warms up" the rpm's stay at 1 to 1.3-4...
SolidLiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:58 AM   #20
Registered Member

I'm curious to know what your SL2 is getting, and if it's auto or manual transmission.

I've been considering removing the side view mirrors, but I use them religiously and don't like turning my head to see what's in the other lane, these cars have little/no blind spot, so the mirrors are just about perfect.

I wonder what an SL2 auto could get done up like "lovemysan's car". I believe his is 5sp SL1 w/ no spoiler, grill block, HAI, underbody paneling, rear wheel skirts, and no side mirrors and he's getting over 50mpg.

I bet 40 on the highway is attainable for sure, but unfortunately for me, there's no highway around that is flat enough to get 40's. I guess that's what I get for living in KY.

'01 KTM Duke 2