P&G not helpful in Saturn SL2 - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2008, 07:59 AM   #51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidSnake View Post
Woo!! That's awesome news. Means that I'm going to have to seriously take a look at this heat shield mumbo jumbo or grill block. Teach me the ways and I will do it for sure. I don't know if my thermostat is 195 though..

I've been wanting to update you too John and by the looks of it P&G works, especially in all the city driving I've done on this tank. Check my gas log for this weekend and weeklong driving.
I would say the P&G on the highway was the main culprit for improved fuel efficiency.

My highway numbers are always better than city.

dosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:39 AM   #52
Registered Member

I never used EOC or P&G on the trip to and from Cleveland... I just found a soft spot behind any Semi, tucked in and tried to keep TPS at less than 15%, luckily, I was able to find a semi going 57mph there, and that was my average upon arrival, on the trip home, average speed was 60mph.

I'll get some pics of the HAI and heat shield for you Snake... I'll all about helping if I can.

Factory OEM thermostat should be 195*F. I'm still having cooling issues, that or I've built resistance into the temp sensor and that is why I'm only getting to 170*F instead of 190... perhaps it IS 190 but the resistance is bringing down the display temp? I dont know...

I might be driving on a 1300 mile round trip next week... if I do, look for numbers in the 45's again hopefully. I'm happy I finally found some astounding mileage out of this car.

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #53
Registered Member

Hey snake, check my garage for pics of the HAI setup... I posted them for your benefit!!
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 07-09-2008, 05:53 AM   #54
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosco View Post
I would say the P&G on the highway was the main culprit for improved fuel efficiency.

My highway numbers are always better than city.
Do you do some crazy EOC on the highway to get your crazy mpg? I think doing that isn't worth the starter and I only seem to move at a set speed, be nice to figure out how fast I should go for my ideal FE.

Sure, maybe my mpg excitement could of came from the highway driving, but I think that, based on my old record, my highway mpg never exceeds 32-33 so maybe the city mpg could have exceeded the highway mpg?
SolidLiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:01 AM   #55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidSnake View Post
Do you do some crazy EOC on the highway to get your crazy mpg?
No EOC for me. I have an automatic transmission that is not capable of flat towing so no EOC.

My commute mileage sucks at about 33 mpg. I get much better mileage on long highway drives where I can maintain about 60 to 65 mph using P&G and drafting. Last trip wasn't so hot (look at my gas log for that) probably due to higher average speeds, stop and go traffic on the highway, and use of air conditioning.

Quote:
my highway mpg never exceeds 32-33 so maybe the city mpg could have exceeded the highway mpg?
Not sure how that would work, you're driving much more slowly in the city, and generally have many energy wasting stop-and-go events.

What is your highway driving technique?
dosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:30 AM   #56
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
Hey snake, check my garage for pics of the HAI setup... I posted them for your benefit!!
Awesome pictures man, by the looks of it, it's fairly easy to do.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:52 AM   #57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosco View Post
No EOC for me. I have an automatic transmission that is not capable of flat towing so no EOC.

My commute mileage sucks at about 33 mpg. I get much better mileage on long highway drives where I can maintain about 60 to 65 mph using P&G and drafting. Last trip wasn't so hot (look at my gas log for that) probably due to higher average speeds, stop and go traffic on the highway, and use of air conditioning.

Not sure how that would work, you're driving much more slowly in the city, and generally have many energy wasting stop-and-go events.

What is your highway driving technique?
Oh, well I figured it out, most of my driving is mixed highway/city because I live here in Bellevue, NE and the main streets by me are at highway speeds with stop lights every 5 streets. So I guess I considered it city driving since I was constantly speeding back up to 50-55 just to shift in neutral and slow to a stop again.

Guess my highway mpg is what ultimately got my great mpg this tank.

My highway techniques are this: Well I don't really have any techniques other then slower speeds. You drive 60-65 and I would think that you would get worse gas milage without drafting somebody else.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:18 AM   #58
Registered Member

Snake-

What I did for my mileage was simple.

Draft a slow moving semi about 3 car length back, roughly 60mph, but if he's going 65, I'll find another candidate moving slower. Average speed to Cleveland was 57, average back was 60.

Tires at 50psi

No A/C

No Cruise Control

Crack windows; don't roll all the way down

IAT at 140-ish

ZERO use of P&G, zero use of EOC.

----You know, in these Saturns, above 60mph the RPM's climb really fast.
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 07-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #59
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
Snake-

What I did for my mileage was simple.

Draft a slow moving semi about 3 car length back, roughly 60mph, but if he's going 65, I'll find another candidate moving slower. Average speed to Cleveland was 57, average back was 60.

Tires at 50psi

No A/C

No Cruise Control

Crack windows; don't roll all the way down

IAT at 140-ish

ZERO use of P&G, zero use of EOC.

----You know, in these Saturns, above 60mph the RPM's climb really fast.
I know what you mean, by the looks of it, I could be learning something that's ultimately benificial here. I want to know step by step how you put together your heat shield and HAI setup, or really, how and where you learned to do it. I'm going to do this to mine as well and I plan on finding out if my thermostat is set to 195(anything beyond damages engine???).

I understand the grill blocking, sort of, but is there anything more then that, HAI, and heat shield?

I'm happy for your results and I hope you would like to help out a fellow sl2'er.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:15 PM   #60
Registered Member

Lol, yeah I'll help ya out.

I'll start a new thread though so that future SL2 guys can search and find it easier....

'01 KTM Duke 2