Pulse and glide - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

Pulse and glide

I would like to get more info on this driving tech. Does the engine get turned off on the glide or idled. I have tried the pulse then glide at idle with no results???
Any info???

green swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
I do lots of gliding in nuetral since my area is difficult to actually shut the engine off. This drops the rpm from a normal driving range to your idle range which reduces the amount of gas used. Actually shut off is best becuase it uses NO gas but this creates some "problems" like (in my car) loss of power brakes, loss of running lights and low beams, and the fact you have to start it back up which my car doesn't like drift starting too much for some reason.

I do however actually shut the car off going down steady inclinesfor 1.6 miles every morning on my way to work/school, and 2.1 if I go to a nearby town, and either 2.2 or 4.9 returning to my town.

Whatever fits your terrain..

Old 06-17-2007, 10:54 AM   #3

From the FAQ on the main forum page :

P&G > Pulsa and Gluide. Its roots go way way back in FE driving. But its claim to fame has been in hybrids. Its also alot of work IMHO. But in certin cars can produce steller results. Lets say your on a stretch of road thats flat as a board. Our target speed is 60 mph. We get to 60 mph and then we begin a bleed say down to 55 mph. We then start speeding up to our 60 mph target. But we do it very very slow. In some hybrids you pick up some very lite assist from the electric motor and dont really use much of the pack. And then we start bleeding again. This is a very repetative driving style and not for the faint at heart. It takes alot of conctration and throttle control. It has alot of varibles that can be played with for diff. cars and over all driving styles. Used alot on hwy's and in city driving. The challenge for hybrid drivers is to know when to loose a P&G cycle or two to get the pack recharged. 1 5

You may be confusing EOC (engine off coasting) and P&G .
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hey, that makes since. I do lots of Pulse and Glide then, but didnt know what EOC stands for. The miles I posted are EOC.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Supporting Member

it takes a time to se results. thats the main reason that we have our gaslog here is so we can watch it and see what is working over the long haul. just add a gaslog to your car so we can watch it!
Old 06-17-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog671 View Post
... my car doesn't like drift starting too much for some reason.
I sometimes have difficulty drift starting too. Seems I have to let the starter run a second or two longer to get the engine going while moving. Never once had it fail to start from a standstill. ECU getting confused by a VSS reading other than zero while RPM is zero? (What's going on! Cough, Cough... start)
davidjh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 12:10 PM   #7
Registered Member

Mine feels like you put if your driving normal and you stick it in too low of a gear, that initial surge that lightly throws you forward in your seat. Not nearly that bad but it "winds-up" real loud and seems to be doing something, dunno what...

And no, Im not drifting it too low a gear, I can drift start it in 5th and it'll have that feeling...