Pulse & Glide Extremes: How Low Can You Go? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

Pulse & Glide Extremes: How Low Can You Go?

Right now I am Pulse & Engine-Off Gliding from 60mph down to 50mph. When I can, I'll glide down to 45 mph. At times if there are three lanes on the highway and very little cars, I can easily coast down to 40mph without putting anyone in harms way.

Now at what point does the Law of Diminishing Returns kicks in for the P&G technique? I'm accelerating in top gear by 25mph anyway, so does this mean that the most effective way to P&G is to set the low speed as low as you can go in top gear?

I understand that this differs from car to car so I'm just looking for general answers.

Also before suggesting a SuperMID or MPGuino please understand that I am unable to monitor realtime MPG fuel consumption because I have two different injectors that pulse at two different rates.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Great question!

For engine-on P&G, I'd guess that gliding down to the bottom end of your highest gear would be most effective. However, for highway driving that may not be practical; like you, I can accelerate in high gear from as low as 25mph.

I generally go for the largest P&G cycles I can tolerate; I think my tolerance level is nowhere near any kind of diminishing returns...I'm just not that patient.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
Registered Member

Good to hear that I wasn't doing anything wrong. With these varying temps I sometimes feel that my experiments are just shots in the dark.

It's amazing how 40mph seems normal on a side street but seems like you're not even moving on a 3 lane highway.

Any other thoughts?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:38 AM   #4

Just make sure you're not 20 MPH under the speed limit - that is illegal. If you ever ARE (severe wind, rain, snow, etc.) - put on your hazards. I have found that the flashing lights have slowed down nearly ALL traffic in heavy snow or rain for myself - helping alleviate accidents. Nothing worse than HEAVY snow and people doing 80 on the freeway.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

With a 55 mph speed limit, I sometimes feel like I need my hazards on cruising at a steady 50-55