Revs v fuel consumption. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 06:17 AM   #11
Registered Member

It was actually on a fairly flat section of highway, but with my tiny 1246 cc engine even 1:1000 is a gradient! Add in a gently breeze and I am struggling to maintain forward motion!!!
I tried displaying Load today and never really got it up above 40%. I'd have to drive really spiritedly to achieve 80%.
I find pulse and glide (where following traffic allows) really pushes my mpg up. I always coast with the engine on and use in gear for deceleration as that gives me DFCO and 9999 mpg on my ScanGauge.
What really p***s me off is when, like this afternoon, you get a lovely long descent but the guy on front wants to dawdle. I always leave a huge gap as I crest the top but if I am travelling at 60 and he is only doing 50 it doesn't take long to catch him up.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:59 AM   #12
Registered Member

Adjust your speed with downshifting and enjoy infinite MPG. They never brought that engine into the US outside the of Civic hybrid. Same displacement as my Mirage, probably with better gearing versus my 3k RPM at 60 mph. Better gearing MIGHT beat P&G at some point.
For me down hills are where I really beat up the ratings for my car.

What's p#$%^ing you off looks like an opportunity to me, but I hate tossing any inertia away. I would try to coast (engine off) and catch up with that driver when your speeds match on the uphill climb later.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
I was out for a run this afternoon and I observed that it was sometimes more fuel efficient to run in 4th gear at 2200 rpm than it was running at 1800 rpm in 5th. Both gave me a similar speed. And carrying on from there it was better to run in 5th at 50 mph at 2200 than in 5th at 1800 rpm and 40 mph. It is amazing the information I can glean from my ScanGauge.
Nice. Interesting. My 1989 Civic is pre-ODBC.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:05 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2spd View Post
Can the ScanGauge provide information such as the air-fuel mixture? Can it calculate instantaneous horsepower and torque used like in some modern cars?

I love driving my car on the highway, it has so much torque that regardless of how steep the hill is, the cruise control never shifts down, it stays in 5th gear around 1,900rpm. Just chugs along quietly. It also helps that it is very aerodynamic, keeps the wind noise to a minimum.
+1. One thing that auto reviewers and other enthusiasts often ignore, because most people tend to focus on peak performance is the refinement advantage of power train designs which produce good low and mid range torque. I miss a straight shift that made this aspect of highway cruising with speed control on even better, but my Ecoboost truck with peak torque will often jug along up a 5% grade at 59 mph at 1550 RPM, and when there is a head wind at it does downshift, I'm still under 2000. This is in sharp contrast to torque weasels that give that feeling of racing up grades with a screaming engine. Am I the only one that hates that!
Old 07-23-2017, 04:33 AM   #15
Registered Member

My Honda Jazz has a 1.2 litre engine, develops only 75 bhp and 81 ft-lb of torque.
However it is quite light and as you can see from the curves, the torque comes in quite well down the rev range. As a result it pulls quite well in high gears and at low revs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jazz Power Curve.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	2405  
Old 10-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #16
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

As the last 8 posts to this thread have been spam posts that have had to be deleted, I'm locking this thread as it has become a spam magnet.

Closed Thread