Saturn HAI! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
Registered Member

Not being a saturn owner, I will have to just go with that. I do wonder though, hybridatsun, why haven't you made a heat shield so that your temps will rise above the 25 above ambient? I usually run around 70-80 above ambient.

also, the coroplast that I had previously suggested to the OP would be a good experiment. the idea being that it would be hideous but cheap at the same time. if you liked the results, you could use plexiglass from lowes home improvement. that is what I used to begin with. same deal with the zip ties. I used a dremel to cut mine to size. you can also use a fine toothed jig saw but it tends to crack with that. the dremel and some sand paper to clean it up works great.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
Registered Member

That 100*F IAT is with ambient temperatures around 50*F, so it actually doesn't do too bad without a heat shield. The tube is shielded by the cat, which also serves to put off some really warm air. I have thought about the coroplast, but the only way I can think to mount it is either with duct tape, or screws and both of those look like CRAP. The Saturns have an awkward grill for mounting stuff to.

hybriDatsun350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quick illustration of the IAT locations/air flow.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #14
Registered Member

I always thought th IAT sensor had to be past the filter (between the throttle body and the filter) but I guess they did it differently. Saturns are weird.

the front of the sl2s are very unique. one thing I had done in the past was to use a really long bolt, two fender washers and wing nut. that way you could take it off on the fly if needed.

I actually used the fender washer on the back side to go across the two sides of the opening. you could possibly cut a piece of wood or use some strap metal to do the same thing. I used the curvature of the grill to create the tension to keep the wing nut in place. the plexiglass was flat and thus pulling it tight across the curved surface meant it always had tension on it. I didn't keep this setup long and this picture was from like 4 years ago... (Man, I'm getting old)

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #15
Registered Member

I will 100% agree that Saturns are weird! Haha

And that's definitely a good idea with the fender washers/plexiglass. I'm just not sure it's cold enough here to warrant that. My coolant temps are always 200*+, and the car warms up fairly quickly. Going to the 195* thermostat was a HUGE improvement.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #16
Registered Member

This is how a proper HAI should be setup... this is my old '96 SL2 automatic that got a best ever of 47mpg with NO TRICKS other than tires at 55psi and some drafting semi's on a 250 mile road trip.

The stock IAT sensor location has been plugged in this setup, allowing only hot air directly off the manifold to enter the intake. With this setup I would see an increase in IAT of around 80*F at cruising speeds, so summer time 90*F ambient I'd see 170*F at highway speeds. Obviously city speeds the temp would climb, sometimes too high and the car would lose power, but in winter it was great for city.
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #17
Registered Member

Oh also, the IAT sensor is 1/2" NPT so just drill and tap the airbox lid and it'll screw right in place.

It would greatly benefit you to be using some type of tool to monitor real time IAT's. ScanGauge II is what I was using.

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote