ScanGauge advice for better MPG... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-05-2008, 03:05 AM   #11
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 46
Country: United States
Quote:
If you leave it in gear and just coast, you might have fuel cutoff, in which case you go to 9999mpg!!.
by yi5hedr3 above.

I didn't know that's what the 9999mpg meant. On my last tankfull (32.6mpg), I used it a lot coasting as my rig apparently has a very active fuel cutoff. I think I gained an mpg using the technique.

Thanks for the heads up, yi5hedr3.

Tribor
__________________

TrebGreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 25
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
For most cars this requires fairly high rpm. So high that it often presents significant compression braking, making it really only useful on steeper grades. Instead of guessing, I just reach for the ignition switch and coast.
Not so on the Yaris. I use fuel cutoff on every coast, and it works very well at most engine speeds until rpms get real low.
__________________

yi5hedr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 25
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribor View Post
by yi5hedr3 above.

I didn't know that's what the 9999mpg meant. On my last tankfull (32.6mpg), I used it a lot coasting as my rig apparently has a very active fuel cutoff. I think I gained an mpg using the technique.

Thanks for the heads up, yi5hedr3.

Tribor
Sure! yeh, I was coasting in neutral before I discovered this, and started getting more MPG right away when I switched to coasting in drive. Any time you're coasting down a hill, especialy towards a stop sign or red light, coast, and you get free mileage!!
yi5hedr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_jkandell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
For most cars this requires fairly high rpm. So high that it often presents significant compression braking, making it really only useful on steeper grades.
I thought deceleration shut off mode kicked in above 1000 rpm in most modern vehicles. No?
__________________
GasSavers_jkandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:06 AM   #15
Registered Member
 
guest001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 198
Country: United States
so what have you noticed in your driving, changes to your driving etc. , since people in this thread, have had your scangauge??
guest001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:23 AM   #16
Registered Member
 
Snax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 758
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkandell View Post
I thought deceleration shut off mode kicked in above 1000 rpm in most modern vehicles. No?
I think there are allot of cars with higher limits than that. The Imprezas that I had certainly were. Fuzzy memory tells me it was about 2500.
__________________
LiberalImage.com

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:46 AM   #17
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 46
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest001 View Post
so what have you noticed in your driving, changes to your driving etc. , since people in this thread, have had your scangauge??
The ScanGaugeII is a nice diversion (ongoing displays of info and adjustments to improve numbers). Without it, it would be way too boring to endure for me.

I've been trying stuff that more experienced hypermilers have written about. Trying EOC--engine off coasting--approaching stop lights and realizing I'm saving more fuel. Coasting--in gear (w stick shift)-- and getting the 9999mpg reading and knowing the fuel flow is off and I'm saving yet more fuel. Looking at TPS--throttle position reading--and knowing that "feather footing" works. It's a lot of fun to manage this stuff to better mpg's. I think it would be great fun with an older Honda hybrid with a stick shift and dash light cues for up and down shifting combined with a ScanGaugeII..

So it's about entertaining yourself, saving $, not getting bored doing it!, and--probably most importantly--not becoming a hazard "out there".

Tribor
url=http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/1146][/url]
TrebGreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:51 AM   #18
Registered Member
 
guest001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 198
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribor View Post
The ScanGaugeII is a nice diversion (ongoing displays of info and adjustments to improve numbers). Without it, it would be way too boring to endure for me.

I've been trying stuff that more experienced hypermilers have written about. Trying EOC--engine off coasting--approaching stop lights and realizing I'm saving more fuel. Coasting--in gear (w stick shift)-- and getting the 9999mpg reading and knowing the fuel flow is off and I'm saving yet more fuel. Looking at TPS--throttle position reading--and knowing that "feather footing" works. It's a lot of fun to manage this stuff to better mpg's. I think it would be great fun with an older Honda hybrid with a stick shift and dash light cues for up and down shifting combined with a ScanGaugeII..

So it's about entertaining yourself, saving $, not getting bored doing it!, and--probably most importantly--not becoming a hazard "out there".

Trebor
wait, so EOC or just coasting, which one gets better mileage?? and feather worked? as in just enough throttle to maintain a speed?
guest001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 46
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest001 View Post
wait, so EOC or just coasting, which one gets better mileage?? and feather worked? as in just enough throttle to maintain a speed?
EOC=better mpg......yup

Tribor
TrebGreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #20
Registered Member
 
guest001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 198
Country: United States
I'm actually noticing worst mileage with EOC. I dunno.... I think I'm doing it places where its worth it, pretty long stretches of road, over 30 seconds at least.

is compression starting(bump starting) the key or does that not have anything to do with it??
__________________

guest001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not very precise mpg calculation larjerr Fuelly Web Support and Community News 4 08-20-2012 02:03 AM
Keeping my distance in traffic khurt General Fuel Topics 8 09-07-2008 04:23 AM
protium gas optimizer? honda_afford General Fuel Topics 7 09-12-2007 05:47 PM
Official crxMPG news/update/suggestion/idea Thread SVOboy General Discussion (Off-Topic) 47 09-19-2006 12:29 PM
Electrical power and cars. DracoFelis Automotive News, Articles and Products 2 09-16-2006 02:31 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.