ScanGauge advice for better MPG... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-05-2008, 02:05 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
If you leave it in gear and just coast, you might have fuel cutoff, in which case you go to 9999mpg!!.
by yi5hedr3 above.

I didn't know that's what the 9999mpg meant. On my last tankfull (32.6mpg), I used it a lot coasting as my rig apparently has a very active fuel cutoff. I think I gained an mpg using the technique.

Thanks for the heads up, yi5hedr3.

Tribor

TrebGreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
For most cars this requires fairly high rpm. So high that it often presents significant compression braking, making it really only useful on steeper grades. Instead of guessing, I just reach for the ignition switch and coast.
Not so on the Yaris. I use fuel cutoff on every coast, and it works very well at most engine speeds until rpms get real low.

yi5hedr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribor View Post
by yi5hedr3 above.

I didn't know that's what the 9999mpg meant. On my last tankfull (32.6mpg), I used it a lot coasting as my rig apparently has a very active fuel cutoff. I think I gained an mpg using the technique.

Thanks for the heads up, yi5hedr3.

Tribor
Sure! yeh, I was coasting in neutral before I discovered this, and started getting more MPG right away when I switched to coasting in drive. Any time you're coasting down a hill, especialy towards a stop sign or red light, coast, and you get free mileage!!
yi5hedr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
For most cars this requires fairly high rpm. So high that it often presents significant compression braking, making it really only useful on steeper grades.
I thought deceleration shut off mode kicked in above 1000 rpm in most modern vehicles. No?
Old 02-07-2008, 01:06 AM   #15
Registered Member

so what have you noticed in your driving, changes to your driving etc. , since people in this thread, have had your scangauge??
guest001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:23 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkandell View Post
I thought deceleration shut off mode kicked in above 1000 rpm in most modern vehicles. No?
I think there are allot of cars with higher limits than that. The Imprezas that I had certainly were. Fuzzy memory tells me it was about 2500.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:46 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest001 View Post
so what have you noticed in your driving, changes to your driving etc. , since people in this thread, have had your scangauge??
The ScanGaugeII is a nice diversion (ongoing displays of info and adjustments to improve numbers). Without it, it would be way too boring to endure for me.

I've been trying stuff that more experienced hypermilers have written about. Trying EOC--engine off coasting--approaching stop lights and realizing I'm saving more fuel. Coasting--in gear (w stick shift)-- and getting the 9999mpg reading and knowing the fuel flow is off and I'm saving yet more fuel. Looking at TPS--throttle position reading--and knowing that "feather footing" works. It's a lot of fun to manage this stuff to better mpg's. I think it would be great fun with an older Honda hybrid with a stick shift and dash light cues for up and down shifting combined with a ScanGaugeII..

So it's about entertaining yourself, saving $, not getting bored doing it!, and--probably most importantly--not becoming a hazard "out there".

Tribor
url=http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/1146][/url]
Old 02-07-2008, 06:51 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribor View Post
The ScanGaugeII is a nice diversion (ongoing displays of info and adjustments to improve numbers). Without it, it would be way too boring to endure for me.

I've been trying stuff that more experienced hypermilers have written about. Trying EOC--engine off coasting--approaching stop lights and realizing I'm saving more fuel. Coasting--in gear (w stick shift)-- and getting the 9999mpg reading and knowing the fuel flow is off and I'm saving yet more fuel. Looking at TPS--throttle position reading--and knowing that "feather footing" works. It's a lot of fun to manage this stuff to better mpg's. I think it would be great fun with an older Honda hybrid with a stick shift and dash light cues for up and down shifting combined with a ScanGaugeII..

So it's about entertaining yourself, saving $, not getting bored doing it!, and--probably most importantly--not becoming a hazard "out there".

Trebor
wait, so EOC or just coasting, which one gets better mileage?? and feather worked? as in just enough throttle to maintain a speed?
Old 02-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest001 View Post
wait, so EOC or just coasting, which one gets better mileage?? and feather worked? as in just enough throttle to maintain a speed?
EOC=better mpg......yup

Tribor
Old 02-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #20
Registered Member

I'm actually noticing worst mileage with EOC. I dunno.... I think I'm doing it places where its worth it, pretty long stretches of road, over 30 seconds at least.

is compression starting(bump starting) the key or does that not have anything to do with it??