ScanGauge advice for better MPG... - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-07-2008, 10:03 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest001 View Post
I'm actually noticing worst mileage with EOC. I dunno.... I think I'm doing it places where its worth it, pretty long stretches of road, over 30 seconds at least.

is compression starting(bump starting) the key or does that not have anything to do with it??
My take is that E_Off_C will always trump E_Idling_C for FE. If you're using a ScanGauge with EOC, then the increase in mpg per tank full will not register with the engine off. If you're coasting with the engine off--in neutral-- and turn the key on and start it, you'll use some fuel/energy to re-start. If you're coasting with the engine off--in gear-- and turn the key on to start it, it may not start if you're fuel is cut off (9999mpg reading on SGII). Don't think the starting has much impact particularly if you're coasting long distances.

Get a SGII if you don't have one. It will be helpful in sorting things out and will pay for itself after a while as well as entertain you.

Tribor

TrebGreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:18 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribor View Post
My take is that E_Off_C will always trump E_Idling_C for FE.
Agreed (though "always" is a bit absolute for my tastes).

Worth considering is by how much EOC trumps NICE-ON coasting. Estimate what percentage of driving time will be spent EOCing, then take that percentage of the idle fuel consumption rate -- the result is how much fuel one can save with EOCing, at most, over NICE-ON.

Example: If you're NICE-ON coasting 5% of the time and your engine idles at 0.3GPH, killing the engine for every coast could potentially save you 0.3 * 5% = 0.015GPH. (Maximum, and minus any restart penalties.)

Quote:
Get a SGII if you don't have one. It will be helpful in sorting things out and will pay for itself after a while as well as entertain you.
Agreed again. And the payback period can be faster than you'd expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest001 View Post
so what have you noticed in your driving, changes to your driving etc. , since people in this thread, have had your scangauge??
I understand more about how my vehicle operates (e.g. at what RPMs and under what conditions DFCO occurs) and have a better handle on when it's at its most efficient. As a result my driving style is adapting to the car.

People who actually drive (e.g. racers, drifting enthusiasts, etc.) -- versus those who just point a car in the direction they want to go and mash the gas (very few of the latter on GasSavers.org, I'd think) -- adjust their driving to wring maximum performance out of their vehicles. Seems to me this is the same thing, only with different goals in mind.

In short, I'm more in tune with the car now than I've ever been -- as far as fuel efficiency is concerned, anyway. I still have a lot to learn, though!

Rick

Old 02-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribor View Post
My take is that E_Off_C will always trump E_Idling_C for FE. If you're using a ScanGauge with EOC, then the increase in mpg per tank full will not register with the engine off.
Go into the setup and put the SGII into 'hybrid' engine mode. The only difference is that it stays on with the engine off and continues to track mileage and MPG.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #24
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
Go into the setup and put the SGII into 'hybrid' engine mode. The only difference is that it stays on with the engine off and continues to track mileage and MPG.
Snax, thanks for heads up. Will do.

Tribor
TrebGreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #25
Registered Member

Fuel cutoff for my civic is ~1100 rpm (maybe 1200 or so, I have to rely on teh SG as a tach for this). The thing is, if its just coming from neutral to in gear to engage the cutoff, sometimes too low os a speed even in a low gear (say, put it in 2nd gear going 25) and it will just not cutoff...duno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
P.S. I must be a wierdo as I think just because a guy can afford to do something, doesn't mean he should. I can afford to buy 100 gallons of gas several times a month, pour it on the ground, light it (or not)... but I don't think I should.
GasSavers_Minger is offline   Reply With Quote