ScanGauge advice for better MPG... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

ScanGauge advice for better MPG...

Hi,

What gauges should I use to improve MPG? I've read someone say something about the engine load gauge. Which gauges are useful and how do you use them?

Thanks,

Alan

alank2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #2
Registered Member

More experience members can tell you better what gauges they use and explain why. But until you get an understanding of the other gauges, maybe stick to the screen that gives you only the mpgs per tank?

I'm doing this because, like what I said above, I don't quite know how to interpret the numbers and translate them into driving pattern yet. But I do know that since the screen gives you the average (overall), you can see how your foot is doing to either keep the mpgs stable or improve. This is opposed to the real time mpg (the screen that gives you a choice of 4 different number values). That screen can be between 1 and 9999 across.

That's what I'm currently doing. I do hope if this way is wrong that someone corrects me so I can do better.

So please help both of us, you sexy sexy mpg *****es. ** interchange *****es for gurus to your liking (yes, you the reader)

RningOnFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
Registered Member

I display TPS, which measures how far you have the throttle open, RPM, because the stock tachometer is pretty inaccurate, instantaneous MPG, and the *WT so I know when the thermostat has opened. Certain functions like the MAP or Manifold Absolute Pressure would be useful too, though my car doesn't support that function. Of the ones I've listed, TPS is by far the most useful. Learn your TPS ranges and you can see how much throttle you really need to get a certain speed, and having a visual reminder of how much pedal you're using is a great incentive to keep a light right foot.
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to mtbiker278
I just bought a scangauge II recently. Over the past couple days I've been using the MPG, GPH, LOD, TPS, fWT, fIA, and LOOP. The ones I used the most are GPH, MPG, TPS, and LOD. These tell you how much gas you're using per hour, Instant MPG, Throttle position and load. It's helped me figure out where are the best times to using neutral coasting with the engine on.

Example: Driving down a grade a 55mph, the MPG gauge will read 110mpg, and the GPH will read 0.71. I know my car idles with 0.21gph, so I'll shift into neutral and my MPG will go up to 320.
mtbiker278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbiker278 View Post
I just bought a scangauge II recently. Over the past couple days I've been using the MPG, GPH, LOD, TPS, fWT, fIA, and LOOP. The ones I used the most are GPH, MPG, TPS, and LOD. These tell you how much gas you're using per hour, Instant MPG, Throttle position and load. It's helped me figure out where are the best times to using neutral coasting with the engine on.

Example: Driving down a grade a 55mph, the MPG gauge will read 110mpg, and the GPH will read 0.71. I know my car idles with 0.21gph, so I'll shift into neutral and my MPG will go up to 320.
If you leave it in gear and just coast, you might have fuel cutoff, in which case you go to 9999mpg!!
yi5hedr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yi5hedr3 View Post
If you leave it in gear and just coast, you might have fuel cutoff, in which case you go to 9999mpg!!
For most cars this requires fairly high rpm. So high that it often presents significant compression braking, making it really only useful on steeper grades. Instead of guessing, I just reach for the ignition switch and coast.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
Registered Member

Concerning the MPG display, I gather that there is at least an Instantaneous MPG display, that is, one that constantly refreshes every second or whatever. What I'm wondering, is there a MPG display that can display Average MPG since last fill up?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #8
Registered Member

Hi,

Yes, you can display MPG for either: instananeous, current trip, current day, previous day, or tank.

Good luck,

Alan
alank2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:29 PM   #9
Registered Member

sweet, thanks!
Old 02-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #10
Registered Member

I posted this elsewhere, but think this is where it belongs:

ScanGaugeII Setup

Hoping that you can click on attached file which shows the ScanGaugeII backlit and the data fields described here. I have customized the display data as follows:

The upper left display is instantaneous mpg (labeled MPG).

The lower left display is TPS or throttle position which varies from vehicle to vehicle. In this case the minimum is 15--idle-- and the max is 100 for full throttle. It's a good indication of how much or how little your foot is into it. You can quickly see how it's affecting the MPG above.

The upper right displays the dav or daily average mpg. It gives you the opportunity to do as well as you can on a daily basis as it zeros out overnight (I think after 8 hrs of inactivity).

The lower right displays the mav or mpg average for current tank full. What I strive to do is match or better the best one. Today, there was a fill up in the PM so "we" bettered dav of 32.0 with an mav of 32.4.

I'm sure that everyone who has programmed their scangaugeII has a little different set of ideas about what 4 data fields they want to utilize to improve their hypermiling. For me, the setup described works very well.

Tribor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scanG2_jan3108sm.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1013  

TrebGreb is offline   Reply With Quote