ScanGauge e - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-06-2015, 10:34 PM   #11
Registered Member

Well I m approaching 10,000 miles, 16 full tanks, while using the ScangaugeE. During this period my running average has not dipped below 69-70 MPG - so a genuine 7 MPG improvement over the pre Scangauge average. As each tank now gives me a free gallon, I have saved over £80 since April, covering the £75 charge for the gadget. As a fan of eco driving, it is a great item to have, just to get all the constant MPG data anyway!

Old 11-07-2015, 12:47 AM   #12
Registered Member

That's a more than adequate improvement to warrant the purchase. So is it just the fact that you can physically see how much fuel you're constantly using that makes you more conscious and aware of your fuel consumption?

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:54 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
You know that sweet spot the engine likes ... well going up a 10 degree hill here in Newport at 25-30mph ... I tried 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th (2 to 1) and everything indicates the less revolutions the engine makes the better the gas mileage. There is a bit less lubrication in the engine at 1000 rpm so going 20mph for extended periods of time is not recommended but usually below 40 is very good and below 30 about 10mpg more mileage.
Having a scangauge is invaluable for testing these ideas and coasting really shows the mileage difference.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:34 PM   #14
Registered Member

I have been conscious of trying to use less fuel for probably 10 years. It started with slavishly trying to drive 56 mph everywhere, then no brakes style, most recently using as little (or no throttle) as much as possible. Despite getting good mileage on previous cars, the ScangaugeE shows just how much it can be improved through technology. So you would usually try and upshift as soon as possible, right? I always had, believed it best for economy. My eco car also has upshift indicator arrows to help. However, Scangauge shows you can often add 50% to your mpg by staying in 4th or 5th when you would have (and the car is telling you) been in 5th or 6th. Also, sometimes going faster than you would expect to be most economical is better for efficiency. Also, where you might think you were doing well, simply removing and reapplying throttle again adds 25% better Mpg. Stuff you just wouldn't notice or pick up on without the constant live feedback. For anyone interested in getting better Mpg, this really helps. I thought of myself as a good eco driver - clearly, the ScangaugeE was able to show me I could be a lot better with proper information!

Tags
diesel, hyundai, i20, obd, scangauge