ScanGauge e - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-01-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

ScanGauge e

Hi! After finally discovering Scangauge was a simple dash plug-in rather thana pro under hood wiring job, i got one....! I am having problems, but their site is helping me, however I'd like to ask any existing owners a couple of questions;
1) should it turn on and off by the cars ignition?
2) should the AVG mpg reset after each trip, or build over time?

For an mpg geek, watching that live readout show figures over 100 mpg is heaven (the cars own gauge maxes out at 60 mpg). I hope chasing that figure equates to better figures at the pump!

benlovesgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:55 AM   #2
Registered Member

Correct badge success!

benlovesgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:36 AM   #3
Registered Member

I have the ScangaugeII, so the average trip displays are likely different. There is one for tank, previous day, and current. the tank doesn't reset until a fill up. The previous day uses data from the last 12 to 24 hours. The current one resets after shut off.

It doesn't shut off right away, but then IIRC it is set to hybrid for me. Set to gasoline or diesel, it should turn off with ignition, but may remain on as long as the accessories do. Mine only turns on itself when the engine actually starts. I think I can get it to turn on simply by pushing a button otherwise.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
Registered Member

I need to test mine in our other car. I have to say, though it onoy works per trip, its looking positive for better mileage. Normally on a good tank, i'll be on about 330 miles at the half tank mark - i ve only just cleared the 3/4 mark and i m on 300 miles! Hope i wont need to fill up for at least a week to find out the real mpg.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

ScangaugeE results in after 4,000+ miles!
I have averaged 70.2 MPG over 7 fills while using Scangauge.
Prior to installing it, the cars lifetime MPG was 62 point something - so I've achieved 7-8 MPG improvement, the equivalent to a free gallon of diesel each tank.
As the Scangauge cost £75, since the end of April I've recouped about £42 of it, soon be into pure profit...!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:10 PM   #6
Registered Member

Good results Ben, so are saying that having a constant accurate economy reading in front of you whilst driving has made you more conscious about the way you drive, and as a result, helps change your style of driving to save fuel?

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Good results Ben, so are saying that having a constant accurate economy reading in front of you whilst driving has made you more conscious about the way you drive, and as a result, helps change your style of driving to save fuel?
Making such displays mandatory in new cars would be one of the cheapest ways to get people to conserve fuel.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
Making such displays mandatory in new cars would be one of the cheapest ways to get people to conserve fuel.
Possibly, or having a current cost per minute/hour indicator somewhere on the dash. People usually take note when they can see their money dissappearing fast! Guess that would require some sort of input, unless the car could update average fuel prices via the Web (cars with Internet are almost standard now)

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #9
Registered Member

Great idea - a logical step, I hadnt thought of that! When I started out on Fuelly, higher diesel prices and mpg closer to 60 meant I was getting a mile for 10-11pence Now lower diesel prices and mpg around 70 means about 7.7 pence a mile. 16 , 000 miles a year means £1, 730 on one hand or £1, 230 on the other.
Thats the sort of tangible saving I drive a dull and slow car for!
Old 07-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #10
Registered Member

And yes - having a useful and accurate display really helps. The cars own computer is inaccurate without enough data range and in the centre of the dash with poor controls and display. Scangauge is accurate with all the data I need on screen at the same time and mounted in a visable and un distracting location.
The thing is, though I class myself as a good eco driver, slightest differences and imperceptible changes in speed and throttle have huge differences that would otherwise be unnoticed and any down to luck.

Tags
diesel, hyundai, i20, obd, scangauge