Scangauge II users - need some help - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-03-2008, 04:47 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to mtbiker278
Well since everyone seems to be so adamant that filling the gas tank to the neck is so detrimental I'll alter my filling practices.

But to get back onto topic. My second question was if anyone was able to use the Xgauge function for other sensors in Honda Cars, particularly newer hondas. I looked on the website and they only list mostly Ford and some GM vehicle gauges. Also the ISO, PWM, and CAN acronyms are clearly stated. My only guess is that they refer to US, Canadian and european vehicles...

I think it would be useful to see if you could get things like transmission temp, or converter lock-up

mtbiker278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:29 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Some of those functions have to be programmed into the newer SG units or a new model that has been upgraded at the factory. That information is only available if the ECU has them and you know how to get to the info. The ISO PWM and CAN are the communications protocals like TCP/IP and NETBUI for computers - they are just different standards that are available for the SG and it can detect and use the right one automatically if you let it or you can choose one.

My xB stops the first click a gallon from full and that is at the slowest filling speed - I usually can get another .9-1 gallon more into the tank just by short slow fill and release otherwise I end up with about 9 gallons instead of 10. The only time I spill some is on certain pumps that don't stop properly and believe me I am thinking of ways to prevent that with a gutter around the fill area to catch it in a bottle. I hate to waste gas and to mess up the tire and fender.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
Registered Member

I recieved my scangauge today and got a chance to toy around with it. Right after the intial install it gave me a bunch of useful information.

This is for my 2006 Honda Civic coupe.

Operateing temp: ~188-190F
Fuel cut-off(maybe): ~1000rpm
Idle GPH (in N): 0.21(0.15)
Idle load: 24
Idle TPS: 17
My short trip was said to average 36.5 mpg using 0.7 gallons, and I forgot to jot down the distance.

The scangauge was set-up for a 1.8L gas engine, gal, mi, Fast update rate.

I did notice it was somewhat hard to get an idea of the best speed for higest fuel economy, mainly because Maryland is fairly hilly. I'll do some more tinkering and have my next fill-up next morning.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #14
Registered Member

Filling it up to the max could actually decrease your mileage because you are carrying that extra gallon or two all that time before using it (extra weight!).

I only put enough gas in my car for that day's anticipated drive. Sometimes I only put a pint in if I'm only going to the grocery store and back.

I am joking of course......, a trip to the grocery store takes a quart.

No really, I fill mine up with the pump set on the lowest auto-stop setting and that's it. As others have said, it's pretty consistent when you use the same station/pump.

AND my SG-II is generally 2 or 3 tenths of a gallon high OR low, not sure why....
GasSavers_theCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #15
Registered Member

On my modern vehicles, I filled them all up on the max speed setting. I used to let it click off and then squeeze to click three more times, but figured that filling until the first automatic click at the same pump at the same station would be the most consistent. The Mustang is a PITA to fill up with these modern pumps. I have to hold the nozzle in the filler neck manually and hold the handle at less than half its travel to keep fuel from traveling out of the neck and onto my paint job. When I get close to full, I literally trickle it until it clicks, so that it does not click when the neck is overflowing as has happened before. The last gallon can take as long as the 8 before it that way, but it keeps my paint job nice and the fills pretty consistent.
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:57 AM   #16
Registered Member

This morning was pretty cold and i got some more good information off the scangauge.

initial start Warming up
water temp: 24F Water temp: 150F
GPH(@ idle): 0.54 GPH(@idle): 0.25
RPM(@idle): 1200 Open Loop: @ >150F, no throttle

Operating temp
water temp: 186F
GPH: 0.21 (0.17 in N)

My morning commute showed an average MPG of 29.4. This is pretty much what I've been getting over the past couple of weeks just by measuring the dist/gal. I think my next modification will be to construct a grill block for the rest of winter and I see it can only really get colder at this point.

Does anyone know what the short term/long term fuel trim banks are supposed to tell you? Also what about the Bank-1/2 O2 sensors? These are found under the Xgauge feature on the scangauge website.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:24 AM   #17
Registered Member

Hey it seems that you are reading 2 TWO digits to the right of the decimal point in GPH and I only see 1 digit on my SGII - seems like there has been an upgrade there that I didn't know about.

Gas pumping - I got an email article from a friend and it says that you should NOT PUMP AT FULL SPEED because it stirs up the gasoline so much that it produces more vapors that get sucked into the nozzle and you end up loosing more gas that way. I don't think it is a large amount of gas we are talking about but it makes a point. The article also says to fill up on really cold mornings DUH My tank is full already! 12 degrees out yesterday and today!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:55 AM   #18
Registered Member

they did make a firmware update to version 3.14/3.15

it's suppose to have better resolution with the new version and a couple extra features like cost per mile and instant horsepower.

Taking everyone's advice I filled up in the morning on the lowest click. It gave me more than enough time to clean my windows, check my oil, fill the washer fluid, and check tire pressure..... I guess that's a plus
Old 01-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #19
Registered Member

Hummm Sounds like I need to swap my SGI in for my SGII at the next fillup and then send it back for an upgrade! Don't know if I can drive without it now.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Hummm Sounds like I need to swap my SGI in for my SGII at the next fillup and then send it back for an upgrade! Don't know if I can drive without it now.
Yep, you'll want the upgrade with Xgauge! Too Cool!!

yi5hedr3 is offline   Reply With Quote