Scangauge questions - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2008, 04:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

Scangauge questions

When setting up the scangauge for use in my '96 Saturn SL2 (1.9L auto) I needed to put a property for speed (because of bigger tires than stock)... well, it had 185/65 R15 and I replaced them with 205/60 R15 which gives a difference of 0.9% higher speed than what the vehicle shows, so I just put +1 for the speed setup for 1%. Is this correct?

Moving on, I found myself in "cutoff" and I'm clueless what property to put here, I think default is 24 or something? I'm not sure if my car has cutoff or not, so I'm not sure what to put here. When decelerating it doesn't go to 9999, typically is shows 80 or 90mpg depending on what speed I'm decelerating. I didn't think this car had DFCO because in gear at any speed when you take your foot off the gas pedal the RPM's remain almost constant until you start decel and they drop w/ speed, not all at once.

Also noticed the *FWT (coolant temp) isn't getting above 175 although I just replaced the thermostat w/ stock 192*F unit about a month ago and the coolant temp sensor seems to be working fine. Coolant is fresh and full. The car does show Closed Loop when warm, so should I worry about this?

Thanks,

John

PS: Only had it about 5 days and I've already diagnosed 2 cars w/ SES lights and saved the owners all that money in having a shop fix it!

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:39 AM   #2
Registered Member

I don't think many cars have the DFCO (mine doesn't anyway) also the rpms may not drop but the load will which helps with MPG. make sure to input your liters of displacement and to go through the calibration procedure. I wouldn't worry about the temp so much since you are in closed loop. I would do a grill block because it seems to me like your car isn't getting up to temp. just a suggestion.

when I did my calibration procedure, I went throught it twice to make sure that it was accurate. I am sure (if you are like me) you have been through the book a few times and read all the cheesy stuff on calibration and other things.

I have also diagnosed other peoples problems and saved them money. it is slowly paying for itself.

not sure what the "cutoff" property is. I would check with the website www.scangauge.com they also have a place where you can email them and ask questions if they aren't answered by the site itself.

scangauge is a good buy. it is an awesome tool.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:02 AM   #3
Registered Member

You're right about the speed calibration. Just re-check it after a whole tank and fine-tune based on the results.

Cutoff is for DFCO. If your car has DFCO, you want to set it to the TPS reading at idle. Verify with the open/closed loop gauge - open loop means you're in DFCO mode. You should see 9999 mpg and open loop at the same time, and lower mpg / closed loop any other time, with the transition between the two aligned. You may have to adjust the cutoff +- 1 to get it dialed in.
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:10 AM   #4
Registered Member

At idle the TPS is reading 0.

I EOC'd today on my commute and w/ engine off it was still reading 0.07 GPH and at 45mph it was only 477mpg.... this is with engine off! IDK what I did during setup, but I think I have some things backwards. I set engine size, tank size, etc.

I'm just toying with it right now, I won't be due for another fill up until late this week which is when I'm going to reset the tank and really monitor how things are going.
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 06-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #5
Registered Member

In that case, try setting cutoff to 1. Otherwise, I really don't know about the .07 with the engine off.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
I EOC'd today on my commute and w/ engine off it was still reading 0.07 GPH and at 45mph it was only 477mpg.... this is with engine off!
This is the sort of thing I'm talking about when I describe my concern that the SG (and any OBDII device) can't measure fuel rate, having to guess based on other sensors instead.

I think for EOC you need to set the SG in its mode for hybrid cars.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:35 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
This is the sort of thing I'm talking about when I describe my concern that the SG (and any OBDII device) can't measure fuel rate, having to guess based on other sensors instead.

I think for EOC you need to set the SG in its mode for hybrid cars.
I may have read that somewhere else too.... but it was my first EOC w/ the scangauge hooked up and I just wanted to see what it would do... generally I don't shut the car off unless on the highway. I typically EonC in neutral, but even then, MPG doesn't go up much, but the GPH goes to about 0.43 in neutral coasting, in gear coasting its 0.62, at idle its 0.33.

My main concern is the coolant temp... its been flushed w/in the last 10k miles, I just replaced the thermostat, and I know the mix is 50/50. I should be seeing 190*F+
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 06-17-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Registered Member

Oh, yeah. That Hybrid fuel setting. Definitely use that. It's the same as Gas, only it keeps recording during an EOC. That's the only difference. There's no good reason to use Gas when Hybrid is there.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #9
Registered Member

what does the temp gauge in your dash say about the temps. do they match up with each other?

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
Registered Member

Heh. The temp gauge on my dash says "oh, probably somewhere about halfway between H and C, but you never know". It's useless.