Should I buy a Scangauge? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question Should I buy a Scangauge?

I just bought a new Cobalt, which has a built-in driver information system displaying instant MPG, average MPG (which can be reset whenever), average speed (also reset-able), and tire pressure all around. Should I go ahead and invest in a Scangauge? If so, what'll it get me?

ccbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #2
Registered Member

there are many things the scangauge will tell you. much more than what your onboard computer will tell you but as far as if it is worth it. not sure, check out their web site www.scangauge.com and it will tell you everything it will do.

also is your cobalt the one that gets 36 mpg?

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks. I should have Googled that before asking the hive mind. File under: RTFM.

It does look to be worth it, especially at the price.

The Cobalt is the XFE, which is rated 36 hwy, though so far I've been able to top 40 (according to the on-board display) just by keeping it at 60 mph and/or doing a little light drafting. I should be able to do even better once the engine's broken in and I implement a few light mods. I'm very pleased with it so far. After I get back from a trip next week, I'll try to put together a review.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:14 AM   #4
Registered Member

Here's where I bought mine. Mileage Pros 815-543-9369 the owners name is Sean. His list price was $159.95 including shipping, but I made him an offer of $150. including shipping (new in the box) and he sold it to me for that. Hope this will help you out. You can offer $150 if you want to but please don't tell him I told you about getting mine for $150. he may not want that to be public information. He just sent me a Pay-Pal invoice and I had it within 3 days. He has other products too. I think his web site was www.mileagepros.com
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:24 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:36 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
If you want to view live sensor information in the form of a gauge, there are few other products that will do the job, and I think the ScanGauge is the least expensive. It also has some programmable custom gauge functionality, I think.

If you don't need exactly that functionality, the SG is way too expensive.

For $30 shipped (on eBay) you can get an ELM327 interface that hooks your laptop up for the same live data, as well as complete OBDII code scanning/clearing functionality, but obviously you need a laptop (and need to have it in the car). However, it can also do data logging, which the SG can't do.

For $30 to $70 (pricing varies by week) you can get a handheld code scanner/clearer from Harbor Freight, but it won't show live data.

For under $100 you can get various nicer handheld scanners that will also show live data but they are too big/clumsy to stick on your steering column to use as a gauge.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:43 AM   #7
Registered Member

I'll keep that in mind. However, I think for the combination of tiny size and live data, I'll pay the small premium and be happy with the information overload. If the interface is as user-friendly as it appears to be, the surplus data can't hurt.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
Registered Member

There are a few forums online that do group buys on the scangauge. I got in my order for $150 shipped from one such group buy.
pyrophite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:50 PM   #9
Registered Member

Shame the Scangauge does not work in older cars like mines
Old 06-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
Registered Member

be sure to check out the X-gauge features as well. that is included in the software on the new scangauge II. you can also see things like horsepower and torque, not that we really care about that. still kinda cool.

I got my hp up to 300 by saying that my displacement was 7 liters. it is still just as good as the info you put into it. fun little booger.

*edit* also, it is just that easy to install. the hardest part is hiding the cord. I am getting ready to get an extra cord for mine because I have used it to diagnose 3 of my friends check engine lights already. it has more than paid for itself for them at least.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote