Starter or Clutch? which to ruin? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-18-2009, 04:46 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
It's a personal choice but IMO electric starting is clumsy and unpleasant, while bump starting can be quite graceful and won't be noticed by anyone on the road or in the car.
By bump starting do you mean compression starting? If so im not so sure i am doing it right. Or it may just be my car in particular. It only takes maybe 1/2 to a full second to get from the pedal being completely depressed to the engine running. but I lose nearly ten MPH by doing so. And it definitely is noticeable.

soda_pop503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Everybody seems to have a different name for it. "Bump starting" seems to be the most common; other people call it kick starting, compression starting, clutch starting, etc.

It sounds like you're just putting it in gear, letting the clutch all the way up, and waiting. That's not the best way to do it.

Here's the procedure to use:

1. Choose a gear higher than you could use to cruise at your current speed. For example, if you're going 20mph and could hold your speed steady in 4th gear, choose 5th.

2. Let the clutch partly up, and don't hold it there. Stomp it back down as soon as you get it up to the friction zone.
  • The point here isn't to dump the clutch and let the road keep spinning the engine 1000RPM until the engine makes power; you only want to kick the engine over enough for a couple revolutions. The engine will catch and fire itself up if you do it right.
  • For it to work as described, you have to have a modern engine with computer-controlled fuel injection and ignition, and a properly functioning pressurized fuel system.
  • The only time I let the clutch stay up for a second or longer is if I accidentally chose a too high gear -- for example, if I'm going 15mph and used 5th gear. Then I want it bring it all the way up for almost a second and stomp it back down, I want it to turn over a few revolutions.
3. Wait until the engine gets up to idle or higher, then choose a gear and engage normally.

Don't forget, it may be illegal to coast with your engine off in your state. If so, you should not do it. There's no way that I know of that they can ever detect it, nor would they ever be looking for it, but if you should have an accident and they suspect that your engine was off you'll probably get whacked with fault no matter whose fault it really is, just because you were doing something weird and illegal.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soda_pop503 View Post
By bump starting do you mean compression starting? If so im not so sure i am doing it right. Or it may just be my car in particular. It only takes maybe 1/2 to a full second to get from the pedal being completely depressed to the engine running. but I lose nearly ten MPH by doing so. And it definitely is noticeable.
Try this soda pop.

Place your heel on the floor of the car and use it to anchor your clutch foot.

Depress the clutch fully and choose the highest gear you have.

Let the clutch out about half way then depress it back to the floor quickly.

You are just trying to spin the engine over a few revolutions, for a very short period of time. It takes less than a half a second for the engine to start if it is in good working order in a fuel injected car.

If you are slowing down 10 MPH, while bump starting you are either using the wrong gear or bump starting way to quickly with too much clutch engagement.

Bump starting should be done in the highest gear unless you are going less than 10 mph. The starter will crank your engine at about 300 RPM. In my Toyota Echo that works out to about 7 MPH in 5th.

When you have it down pat, the loss of speed is almost unnoticeable. Once you have the engine running then choose the appropriate gear and engage the clutch as you would do normally.

regards
gary
Old 09-18-2009, 11:16 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
Clutch kit for a 2001 Chevy S-10: $137.21. http://www.oereplacement.com/partInf...D=R-52332205CK

Plus a twelve-pack of beer for you and a buddy (an extra person makes R&R of the transmission a LOT easier!)
i have replaced the starter on my 95 s-10, took me about 6 hrs. damn thing didnt wanna come outa its home...(have to remove exhaust downpipe, shields, tire, engine to tranny support rod, starter support rod, then the starter then the inspection plate then gotta wiggle it in weird places to get it to drop....)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:18 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Try this soda pop.

Place your heel on the floor of the car and use it to anchor your clutch foot.

Depress the clutch fully and choose the highest gear you have.

Let the clutch out about half way then depress it back to the floor quickly.

You are just trying to spin the engine over a few revolutions, for a very short period of time. It takes less than a half a second for the engine to start if it is in good working order in a fuel injected car.

If you are slowing down 10 MPH, while bump starting you are either using the wrong gear or bump starting way to quickly with too much clutch engagement.

Bump starting should be done in the highest gear unless you are going less than 10 mph. The starter will crank your engine at about 300 RPM. In my Toyota Echo that works out to about 7 MPH in 5th.

When you have it down pat, the loss of speed is almost unnoticeable. Once you have the engine running then choose the appropriate gear and engage the clutch as you would do normally.

regards
gary
ive tried this on my s10, while yes it started it held high rpm's for a long time (like 1500-2K) then it slowly settled down but the gas i saved just got burnt up.... its OBD1 btw
Old 09-19-2009, 04:46 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
ive tried this on my s10, while yes it started it held high rpm's for a long time (like 1500-2K) then it slowly settled down but the gas i saved just got burnt up.... its OBD1 btw
What happens if you use that high RPM by engaging the clutch? You should be able to choose a gear that will fit, or just accept a little clutch wear if you want to use 5th and that would be at lower RPM.

My car's drive-by-wire includes a wonderful feature/bug called rev hang, so I'm used to engaging the clutch when my foot's off the gas and the RPM is staying high...
Old 09-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
What happens if you use that high RPM by engaging the clutch? You should be able to choose a gear that will fit, or just accept a little clutch wear if you want to use 5th and that would be at lower RPM.

My car's drive-by-wire includes a wonderful feature/bug called rev hang, so I'm used to engaging the clutch when my foot's off the gas and the RPM is staying high...
yea i used 4th im saying i was coasting to a stop sign and bumped the engine to start then held the clutch in so i could, well stop without stalling and it idled at 1.5-2K. does the same if you accidently kill it and restart it