The Beast has its new ScanGauge installed! PICS ENCLOSED - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Also, I noticed that if I start the vehicle with SG plugged in my dashboard clock resets to 1:00. I've reset my clock 3 times today, but my radio presets are still intact.
I've witnessed similar behavior using a basic OBDII code scanner with my truck. They do funky stuff when the OBDII port is in use, I guess. I think also if I plug it in while I'm driving, the whole dash goes dead for a second, then lights up everything as if I had just started the truck, and keeps the speedometer and odometer dead for a few seconds after...

Old 07-11-2008, 10:32 AM   #12
Registered Member

note to self: don't plug the scangauge to my truck!!!!!!!!

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
No damage, it's just disconcerting the first time...
Old 07-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #14
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
note to self: don't plug the scangauge to my truck!!!!!!!!
What flavor truck?

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #15
Registered Member

I personally have a 2004 dodge dakota, reg cab, short bed, 5 speed, 4.7 liter, 2wd with power nothing.

I have put a CAI on it, ported throttle body, IAT resistor mod (did it myself), true dual exhaust with flowmasters (no X-pipe either) and 4.10 gears in the rear, the last thing I did was put toyo proxs S/T tires on the rear (closest to racing slicks that would fit my factory rims).

she will run about a 14.5 sec qtr mile and she gets 18 mpg on a good day.

I have had this truck since dec '03 and she has 17,500 miles on the odo. I ordered this truck because nobody wants the V8 with the stick. I don't do much with it anymore because of gas prices but can't bring myself to get rid of it either. I think about it sometimes but it only takes one drive to change my mind. she used to bark the gears all the way to third but then I got the sticky tires (no more 3rd gear barkin). she looks stock and will catch you off guard if you aren't careful. I have burnned quite a few hondas in this truck, mostly punk kids withe their momma's car thinking it is a tuner. I realize that someone with just a little effort could probably dust me pretty good but that is the joy of my truck, it doesn't look like anything special.

sorry, I went off on a tangent.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #16
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
I personally have a 2004 dodge dakota, reg cab, short bed, 5 speed, 4.7 liter, 2wd with power nothing.

I have put a CAI on it, ported throttle body, IAT resistor mod (did it myself), true dual exhaust with flowmasters (no X-pipe either) and 4.10 gears in the rear, the last thing I did was put toyo proxs S/T tires on the rear (closest to racing slicks that would fit my factory rims).

she will run about a 14.5 sec qtr mile and she gets 18 mpg on a good day.

I have had this truck since dec '03 and she has 17,500 miles on the odo. I ordered this truck because nobody wants the V8 with the stick. I don't do much with it anymore because of gas prices but can't bring myself to get rid of it either. I think about it sometimes but it only takes one drive to change my mind. she used to bark the gears all the way to third but then I got the sticky tires (no more 3rd gear barkin). she looks stock and will catch you off guard if you aren't careful. I have burnned quite a few hondas in this truck, mostly punk kids withe their momma's car thinking it is a tuner. I realize that someone with just a little effort could probably dust me pretty good but that is the joy of my truck, it doesn't look like anything special.

sorry, I went off on a tangent.
Sounds like fun... Am I right in assuming that means no A/C as well? If so that sucks, otherwise that sounds like a great truck. When I went to the dealer to buy a new truck I was looking for a full size with a 5 speed, there weren't any in the area. When I look online all the full size trucks with 5 speeds seem to be in Texas.

-Jay

Old 07-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #17
Registered Member

it does have a/c. I can't go but so far out for the power. I still need to be comfortable.

I originally wanted a 1500 with the hemi and the 5 spd which you can't get. the closest they could do me was a 2500 with a hemi and stick but that is a BIG HEAVY TRUCK kind of going the opposite direction I wanted to go.

mine is like 3400-3600 lbs. I really need to get it weighed. oh well, all this talk about it makes me want to drive it. good thing the weekend is upon us.

if you are interested (and I haven't been over there in a while) I was on www.dodgetruckworld.com for a while. same user name "beef" maybe "the beef" I am not that hard to find. they may have taken me off by now though.

that truck is my baby.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #18
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
it does have a/c. I can't go but so far out for the power. I still need to be comfortable.

I originally wanted a 1500 with the hemi and the 5 spd which you can't get. the closest they could do me was a 2500 with a hemi and stick but that is a BIG HEAVY TRUCK kind of going the opposite direction I wanted to go.

mine is like 3400-3600 lbs. I really need to get it weighed. oh well, all this talk about it makes me want to drive it. good thing the weekend is upon us.

if you are interested (and I haven't been over there in a while) I was on www.dodgetruckworld.com for a while. same user name "beef" maybe "the beef" I am not that hard to find. they may have taken me off by now though.

that truck is my baby.
I did find one user there I thought might be you, "BeefyRide3". Black Dodge p/u w/ a 5 speed. If that's yours it looks really nice.

-Jay

Old 07-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #19
Registered Member

[QUOTE=Jay2TheRescue;110605]I figure it will probably take close to a month for me to get the calibration set just right.

One tank is all it took to calibrate mine it has been very accurate since. As I said before less than 0.5 mile mpg variation in figuring it the old way. At 45 mpg 0.5 mpg off is just over 1% error. Can't calibrate it by percentage just by the amount of fuel added.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #20
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I figure it will probably take close to a month for me to get the calibration set just right.

One tank is all it took to calibrate mine it has been very accurate since. As I said before less than 0.5 mile mpg variation in figuring it the old way. At 45 mpg 0.5 mpg off is just over 1% error. Can't calibrate it by percentage just by the amount of fuel added.
I figure it could take me as long as 2 weeks to finish the current tank of fuel, and then up to 2 weeks to finish the second, so I'm right close to a month to get it calibrated, and another tank beyond that to double check everything is set right.

-Jay

EDIT: I was just thinking... I could take 2 weeks off this by just filling it tonight. I know it will be a short fill, but it will take at least a week off of my calibration. I don't think the 24 oz of methanol is doing anything positive for me in this tank anyway, might as well dilute it some. As of right now I've only logged 31.1 miles on the current tank, and the fuel gauge needle appears to be falling sharply.