The "Unheralded" advantage of Hypermiling! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

The "Unheralded" advantage of Hypermiling!

I know we all save fuel with hypermiling techniques and improvements...that is a given. But something I have not seen brought up in any posts is the "avoidance of SPEEDING TICKETS". Holding speeds down like I have the past few months has eliminated any "close calls" with the law. I don't even "flinch" when I see a "Speed Trap" around the corner. It seems lately Hypermiling might have saved me from signing the dotted line more than a couple of times.

2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Registered Member

LoL this is quite the truth.

And the irony is that you notice them more, you can see them from far away as well.

You also notice the packs of cars that come past you in almost a timed sequence.

RningOnFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yup. Me too. Slower = not speeding.

However, do be careful. I rolled through a stop sign at a corner where I turned, and nearly got ticketed. Right after I rolled through, I spotted 2 officers following me in a cruiser. I REALLY behaved myself till I pulled into my driveway and they continued on. Whew.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
DRW
Registered Member

I have to hit the gas when I see a cop on the freeway. I don't want to get a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic!
Old 01-04-2008, 05:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

DRW: Now that is hilarious! Haha... got a good laugh from that.

As for me, I have to agree with brucepick. Sure it is nice not having to worry about speeding tickets, but I definitely treat all stop signs as yields. Since I currently don't pay for any of my fuel, all I am really doing with this is setting myself up for major fines. Oh well, planet over the green in my pocket I guess.

To add to the list, you can expect less chipped windshields when you drive slower. That is, as long as you avoid drafting... or draft RIGHT ON the trucks bumper!
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
Team GasMisers5!

I once coasted (engine off), at midnight, down a long road, through a roundabout ('traffic circle'), then on. The police car hiding behind the car dealers then came after me with lights on etc . I saw it from the corner of my eye before it lit up etc, and I reactivated the engine (gentle bumpstart in 5th) as my car was turning around the roundabout (so, taillight intensities were changing from their view anyway). It turns out it was a 'routine' stop, but most likely because I had an old car.

edit - of course, nothing was wrong with my car, it had tax / mot etc (which is what they were checking for)

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I just had an experience today pertaining to the speeding ticket deal.

I was merging on to the highway (speed limit 65) from the on ramp. A lady driving a silver Camry decided to pull into the passing lane and fly past me before I even pulled into the right lane. She was so busy in her little world that she didn't notice the silver Charger police car on the on ramp 1/4 mile up the road. Well, actually she noticed it just as she came along side of it and slammed on her brakes. The police car accelerated from a complete stop up to 70mph in front of me (which was pretty impressive) and caught up to her. Flipped on the lights, but she either didn't see them because she wasn't paying attention or just didn't want to stop. Anyways, about 1.5miles later after taking an exit and merging onto a different highway she finally pulled off the road for the officer. Silly people.

Anyways, I guess the point is that another benefit to hypermiling would be a heightened sense of awareness while driving. I was hoping that she was going to get pulled over, lol. I'm a meanie!

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #8
Registered Member

I have also had people "trapped for lack of a better word" behind me and riding my bumper...and I am usually going within 5mph of the posted speed limit. The next thing you know we pass a speed trap under a bridge...they come around me later and wave. I think they thought I had a Radar Detector.
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:56 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Yeah stop signs and coasting down 25mph limit hills the two hypermiler killers.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #10
Registered Member

I actually exceeded the points limit for driver's here in KY about 3 months ago. Then 2 weeks ago I get a notice in the mail that I am to appear in front of a judge and argue to keep my license because they want to pull it for 6 months. I pull up in my Saturn w/ make-shift moon hub caps, a big vacuum gauge mounted behind the steering wheel, and a HAI under the hood and go inside to aruge my case. I essentially tell them I've turned my driving style around and showed proof of gas receipts and MPG increasing over the past few months.

I explained that all the tickets were in my Camaro which I now only race on weekends at the track...

I am on driving probation for 1 year, but they let me keep my license.

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote