Tips for a noob - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Tips for a noob

Well so far what I do is when I drive my stick shift and know I'm approaching a stop sign, I shift into neutral and let my momentum take me and gradually slow me down so I don't have to use the brake that much. That and I also trry to accelerate slowly. That's about all I do do you guys have any more tips for a beginner?

stefant205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
What do you drive?

One of the most useful things you can do is try to accurately track your fuel economy, with notes about conditions/events/routes for each tank. The gaslog function here on this site is good for that, though it's certainly not the only way to do it. That way, as you experiment with different techniques and strategies and experience different conditions and routes, you can get an idea of what works and what doesn't.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Site Team

I would say the opposite. Although gliding to a stop is easier on the brakes, it hurts gas mileage.

Instead, when you see a red light you should slow down as early and quickly as possible, with the intention of gliding the rest of the distance but NOT having to stop. For example, if you are going 40 MPH and see a redlight ahead, immediately hit the brakes and slow down to maybe 20 MPH - then coast the rest of the way. Hopefully, by the time you reach the light it will be green and you'll still be going 20 MPH (or slightly less), and you will have been able to keep a lot of your momentum.

Make sense?

Of course this is very unusual behavior and could surprise a car behind you, so be mindful of safety as well.

Welcome to the board!

-Bob C
Old 12-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Registered Member

That too I try to time lights so that i can keep my momentum going but what I talked about before was for stop signs, where I dont have a choice but to stop.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Registered Member

and I drive a 1992 honda accord lx.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Registered Member

is that accord a 4 or six cylinder? i had an auto 4 banger that avg 30mpg...great car!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:26 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefant205 View Post
That too I try to time lights so that i can keep my momentum going but what I talked about before was for stop signs, where I dont have a choice but to stop.
With stop signs, if you're not holding up traffic, approach them slower; don't accelerate to such a high speed in the first place. That's assuming that we're talking about multiple stop signs separated by a single block each.

You may be able to downshift for DFCO (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off) but you need to confirm that you're getting DFCO or you will be using more fuel. You can get a pretty good idea watching the open/closed loop indicator on a ScanGauge or similar device, and you can be absolutely sure by wiring a meter to one of your fuel injector wires.

I can't think of anything else that helps with stop signs, other than taking different roads.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
Registered Member

4 cylinder. Yeah it does pretty well for its wear.