Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2008, 08:05 AM   #121
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
75mpg - 50-60mph P&G
That means gas from 50 to 60, off the gas 60 to 50, repeat?

racertim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:19 AM   #122
Registered Member

That's right. Shift into Neutral for the glide part. Pulse at medium-high throttle. Is yours an automatic? Leave the engine running for the glide. If it's a manual, you can shut it off and then clutch-bump to start it back up.

palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:36 AM   #123
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by racertim View Post
What do you recommend that I try differently then? I was cruising steady behind the trucks at 1 sec at 70mph on average.
Back off. It's definitely more beneficial for drafting and for safety/courtesy to stay back at least 2 or 3 seconds.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:40 AM   #124
Registered Member

Oh there is a thing that happens that might make drivers suppose that drafters are causing extra drag...

If you move in close behind a vehicle from another lane, slide across behind it, while you're coming across you collapse the vortex on one side of the vehicle, as you come over, this causes the forces to be imbalanced and the vortex on the other side is still causing drag force... so... a sensitive driver may feel something that feels like a tug as the vehicle moves across behind him, this is not extra drag, but merely uneven relief of base drag vortex pressures.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #125
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
In group bicycling and auto racing, drafting helps both the puller and the drafter. I can't say for sure it works that way with hypermilers drafting trucks, but I don't know why it wouldn't.
Okay, this is what I originally thought! (oddly, I actually forgot I thought that until I read this.) Someone had told me it drags the puller to be drafted and this was such a surprise to me I internalized it. (my brain operates in odd ways.)

Quote:
I think people assume that it would create more drag on the truck because it's benefiting the car, and TANSTAAFL...but in this case, here's my guess as to how it helps the truck: Normally, the truck has to burn fuel to pull that vacuum behind it. The car fills part of the vacuum, and aerodynamically becomes part of the truck and is a sloping the rear piece instead of the truck being cut off flat. I'm no aerodynamics expert, so this is all conjecture.
Yeah, this is what I used to think. I like this idea more, I think I will reassume it in my thinking.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #126
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
The Civic has TERRIBLE highway gearing. But I've done some great numbers using Pulse&Glide combined with a 2-3 sec draft - upper 50's mpg at 70mph average. The aerodynamic benefit is still there, it's just that the high gearing masks it.
I would propose P&G has more benefit over steady state in a car with bad highway gearing. Because the pulse is going to happen quicker (and thus shorter amount of time with the engine using gas) and the bad gearing will be more a benefit for the pulse than a detriment--as compared to the detriment it is for highway steady state.

In other words, if you have a car with close gearing (and thus a "short" final gear), use it to your advantage by employing more P&G and less steady state driving.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:16 AM   #127
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racertim View Post
Wow.... I haven't checked the thread in a few days and there are million posts!

I supposed I had a good first question!

Anyways, I updated my mileage log with my tests between drafting and slowing down. I managed to get a couple MPG better by slowing down. I think I will do another test to see if the results are confirmed.
It's been a stimulating and learning experience

Old 05-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #128
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
In other words, if you have a car with close gearing (and thus a "short" final gear), use it to your advantage by employing more P&G and less steady state driving.
That describes my car, and one of the main things I dislike about it. Once I am satisfied with my skip-shifting experiments, I will either try P&G or drafting.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #129
Registered Member

I agree entirely.
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #130
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
That describes my car, and one of the main things I dislike about it. Once I am satisfied with my skip-shifting experiments, I will either try P&G or drafting.
If I had your gearing in my VX I'd be getting better mileage around town and I would be saving my clutch. First gear is so tall I have to keep the clutch in much longer than you do in first, unless I want to rev the engine a bunch. I'm going about 25mph in 2nd gear before I hit 2000rpms.. means i spend a lot of time at higher revs around town because the gears are so far apart. Granted I make up for these losses on the highway, but my friend's 2 door DX coupe of the same generation as my VX had the nicest gearing for slower driving. This is the only pet peeve I have with my VX. I hate having to use the clutch to accelerate from less than like 7mph. In my friend's DX coupe, you barely needed the clutch at all.