To draft or slow down? - Page 17 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-12-2008, 08:10 AM   #161
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe74 View Post
Maybe this is not surprising, since there aren't lots of lean-burn cars out there. Just the VX, HX, Insight, and the first-gen Civic hybrid, as far as I know.
Well there's lean and lean... there's a lean out cruise on most vehicles where it'll go to about 16:1

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #162
Registered Member

Interesting, I didn't know that. I guess that's sort of lean-lite.

monroe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:10 PM   #163
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
mikivx could you get me a set?

regards
gary
Well if you're anything like me and you don't speak spanish or any other foreign language, you can check out michelin's UK portal which DOES have the proper tire size you'd need for the civic VX. Also if you go to tirerack.com, it will show you DOT approved tires that you can purchase that match the manufacturer's specifications. If you buy tires that aren't from this country, you could get into trouble with the law or cause other issues. The two tires I found were Yokohama Y379B and Sumitomo HTR T4: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...All&loadRank=2
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #164
Registered Member

Drafting makes a HUGE difference if you are close enough but how close to be to be inside "the pocket" depends on the speed and shape of the vehicle in front of you. All this can be easily felt on a road bicycle. You can feel as you enter the pocket and sometimes even feel the positive pressure pushing from behind. I've drafted trucks at up to 45mph on my bike when I'd have been going 25-30 without the draft.
Lelandjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:51 PM   #165
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hateful View Post
I was on 95 north yesterday behind a big rig doing 58mph. I didn't see that truck moving to the left to let any of the rigs doing 75mph pass. The faster trucks changed lane and went around on the left just like all the cars.
I see this quite often, almost religiously, when traveling in FL, GA, TN, SC, and NC (the states I most often travel).
diver1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #166
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
This one is obvious even to me, someone who doesn't do it. It enhances your own safety by getting the dangerous driver away from you.
I still disagree that it enhances anyone's safety; thus, I'll never do it.

Quote:
The big rig driver expects RVs and U-hauls to be going 20mph under. He does NOT expect a car to be doing that...
Really? How do you know this?

Besides, even if you have some kind of insight into the global assumptions that trucker's have/make, and that particular insight proves your contention true, then I contend that those truckers are taking risks by making those broad assumptions while operating their rig.

Quote:
Yup, lots of big rigs out there are traveling too fast based on those assumed conditions. You can post on a forum about their responsibilities all you want, but it doesn't change the reality out on the highway, which is that while 1993CivicVX is moseying along at the legal minimum 45mph in a 65mph zone weighing 2300 pounds, the 80,000 pound truck is doing 80mph in the same lane.
True, but I've yet to see or even hear about an accident caused by this situation. Have you? If so, exactly how many occurrences have you heard of?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #167
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
In Texas, most country highways (2-lane) have paved shoulders wide enough to be another lane. It's common, even expected, for slower traffic to pull over on the shoulder to let others pass. It's even written in the driver's handbook as a recommendation. I make use of this ALL the time.
Now this is a very different scenario than the one suggested earlier. This scenario involves a paved surface (i.e. often called an emergency lane). The earlier scenario involved an unpaved shoulder (which is obviously not well-suited nor advised for vehicles designed to be operated exclusively on paved surfaces).
Old 06-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #168
Registered Member

Quote:
Tailgating is dangerous. It's wise for me to go out of my way (literally) to create distance between myself and anyone who is dangerous.
Well, do as you please, but just remember that, whenever you decide to go "off-roading" as you veer off the paved lane and onto the dirt, grass, gravel or what-not at 20 to 50 mph on the road shoulder, that you're risking losing control of your vehicle. Have fun.

Quote:
In other words, when you see someone driving badly, your impulse is to get close to them and drive badly yourself.
Yeah, that's my impulse; fortunately, for the other drivers and myself, I don't act on it 100% of the time...maybe only 75% of the time. I know it's childish and somewhat dangerous, but it's one of my few vices in this world.

Quote:
Tailgating is tailgating. Your comment is like saying you only drink and drive when the weather is nice.
Maybe it is like saying that.

Quote:
That's helpfully candid. Here's a suggestion: find a different way to express your emotions.
Good. If you're aware of a more effective way, then let's hear it.

Quote:
Next time you see something like that, I suggest you stand in his lane, at precisely the speed limit, and force him to slow down. Change lanes, if necessary, to prevent him from going around you. After all, if you don't teach him a lesson, and force him to obey the law, who will?
This doesn't warrant a serious response.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #169
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
I have found over the last 42 years of driving that I The drivers I really dislike are the idiots that ride in your blind spot and remove your escape route when another idiot does something as insanely stupid as pulling onto any interstsate at 5 mph. To stupid to use the shoulder to accelerate.
Me, too. It's almost like they somehow imagine that the solid white line delineating the rightmost lane of travel and the emergency lane is never to be crossed.

To any of these uninformed drivers who might be reading this: I'd like to take this opportunity to inform you to feel free to use this extra asphalt in front of you (i.e. the emergency lane) to raise or lower your vehicle's speed accordingly prior to attempting to merge into the rightmost lane of travel. If it helps, think of a collision (i.e. sideswipe) with another vehicle already in this rightmost travel lane as an emergency. So, by avoiding this collision, you are justified in using a portion of the emergency lane.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:36 PM   #170
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
It seems to me a big 'no no' to be going too slow that a trucker comes up fast from behind and has to either kill all his precious momentum or risk making a sudden lane change maneuver.
I don't see this as a no-no at all. It's as simple as this: "slower traffic keep right" OR "keep right except to pass" (both are quite common road signs on interstates and highways in the eastern U.S.). I've yet to see a sign which reads "If a big truck is approaching you while you're in the right lane, then just ignore those other two signs about keeping right and change lanes to the left to let the truck pass you on the right".

If this were as much as a safety issue as some posters in this thread would have us believe, then surely this topic is addressed by at least one driver's education course in the U.S., right? If it is, then I challenge those posters to produce evidence of such.