What are the hypermile "sleepers" - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #61
Registered Member

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Toyota Paseo, however I guess being such a small car it looks like it'd get high FE, and wouldn't be consider much of a "sleeper". However, the Nissan 240SX 1989-94 or the 1995-98 are very sporty looking, and can get good FE. They are also RWD, so they really have that sporty feel, but they are not so good in snowy or icy winters. On my 91 240SX I get about 30-32MPG just driving lightly, no hypermiling. Even when racing often I still got around 20MPG.

Firewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #62
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Again, anything with the GM 3800 or the GM 2200 OHV 4-cylinder in it. Torque everywhere and wide gearing make for a couple winners. With the V6, even in-town you can get decent mileage if you don't put your foot into it, but you'll see your mileage fall really quickly if you do because of the large displacement. Gotta love those OHV engines. (wow, I'm actually recommending GM products for mileage...)

As for KIA and Hyundai, It was i think 2003 when they went FULLY automated on their assembly line and the 2005 to now are excellent cars.

Gotta love their thinking.
'Most of our manufacturing issues are coming from human error.'
'So how do we fix it?'
'Get rid of the human error.'
In their overseas plants a human hand never touches the body of the car through the entire assembly process(if I remember correctly). The new domestic(US) plants I don't think will work like that.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:34 AM   #63
Registered Member

The 3800 is a great engine. My dad has been able to squeeze 32 MPG out of his '04 Impala SS with the supercharged 3800 on long trips. Not bad for something that big and with that much performance!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #64
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to getnpsi
I don't know everyones income level or where they are in the country, but my approach to save money on all fronts was to not purchase another newer car worth more than cars I already own just for gas mileage.
getnpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #65
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getnpsi View Post
I don't know everyones income level or where they are in the country, but my approach to save money on all fronts was to not purchase another newer car worth more than cars I already own just for gas mileage.
if your aspire is in good shape and money is a concern, there should be no reason to look for something else.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #66
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by getnpsi View Post
my approach to save money on all fronts was to not purchase another newer car worth more than cars I already own just for gas mileage.
I think this thread is intended more for people who are already in the market for a vehicle, and people who drive a lot of miles in a behemoth where a FE vehicle can pay for itself.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:13 PM   #67
Registered Member

Its pretty evident that many here simply recommend what they're already driving, so I shall be no exception.
If you can find one in drivable condition...how `bout a 1983-84 Volvo 240 Diesel?
The spaciousness and cargo capacity of a mid-sized SUV and 35+mpgs to boot.
Or better yet, convert a later model 200 series: http://www.thegreencarco.com/product...rsion_faqs.php
Old 05-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #68
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
As for KIA and Hyundai, It was i think 2003 when they went FULLY automated on their assembly line and the 2005 to now are excellent cars.
Yup, they really pulled 'em up over the last few years, they were trying harder since about '00 but weren't making it, wouldn't want a well used Accent from before then, some of the bigger cars had a bit more care lavished. Anything wrong with the recent ones is probably "Disposable car syndrome" more than anything else... i.e. "if I'm buying a cheap POS to commute into the ground, why should I bother spending much on maintenance." So see if you can find one owned by that little old lady from Passadena and you'll make out better.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #69
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Yup, they really pulled 'em up over the last few years, they were trying harder since about '00 but weren't making it, wouldn't want a well used Accent from before then, some of the bigger cars had a bit more care lavished. Anything wrong with the recent ones is probably "Disposable car syndrome" more than anything else... i.e. "if I'm buying a cheap POS to commute into the ground, why should I bother spending much on maintenance." So see if you can find one owned by that little old lady from Passadena and you'll make out better.
Can't complain with a car like the elantra that can be decked out with heated leather seats and sunroof and everything for under 19k. Local Hyundai dealers here are offering a 300k mile 10 year warranty for free with the purchase of a new Hyundai.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #70
Registered Member

White toaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
I feel sorry for some of you Honda guys getting in the low 30's when I drive a Scion xB getting 40-41 lifetime average - this tank 43mpg (was 44 for a while then some short hops killed it) for a big white box! Here's a sleeper for ya!
Wow, that's great! Who knew a car built like a toaster could get such good mileage, wonder what it could get with some aerodynamics?

steve_o is offline   Reply With Quote