What are the hypermile "sleepers" - Page 8 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #71
Registered Member

same as the Echo/yaris I should think.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:49 PM   #72
Registered Member

Mid size car: mid 90's model Galant EPA 21 city/ 28 hwy

Compact: early/mid 90's Mirage; EPA 28 city/36 hwy

Mazda Protege mid/late 90's; EPA 28/33

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #73
Registered Member

Been looking at figures for the '91-'95 generation of Nissan Sentras and NX coupes. They look like doing real nice wih the 1.6 and 5 speed manual, original ratings was 29 city 39 highway... could probably get 45+ out of them. NX got 1 mpg lower, don't know why, if it has lower gearing it might get better with a swap from the Sentra sedan. It looks slippier, but apparently sedan only had .34 Cd. Handling and durability of these is meant to be way up there too.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #74
Registered Member

Yep, I have a co-worker who just scored a 92 Sentra 5-speed for $1500. He threw another couple of hundred into maintenance and is hitting 40 mpg no problem.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #75
Registered Member

I am really new at this, but had to post this info. My wife drives mixed city/hwy 50 miles one way daily. She is driving a 2005 Hyundai Elantra auto tranny. We inflated tires to 51lb max. She drives speed limit (60mph highest limit driven) with Cruise control on and shifts it into neutral for ERC(Engine running coasting?) until stopped at the lights. With the altered driving habits she clocked her best FE number today at 40.1 mpg! She was getting a solid 32mpg before this! Her mileage has gradually increased over the last 5 weeks as she changed her habits to this current number! I am impressed! Thanks to you all for the info posted here!
wapiti_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:26 PM   #76
Registered Member

according to the milage calculator in my fuel-log on this site, (can't get it to show in my sig though..) my '95 Range Rover is a hypermiler...at 16mpg....maybe the definition needs to be refined a bit?
Old 06-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelPanic View Post
The 3800 is a great engine. My dad has been able to squeeze 32 MPG out of his '04 Impala SS with the supercharged 3800 on long trips. Not bad for something that big and with that much performance!
My G/F has a 02 Monte SS with the 3.8 shes getting 27+ average, without really hypermiling it at all. I made a ~10 mile trip through town, and back and got the built in MPG gauge to read 32.7 for the round trip! So yea for a 3500 lb car, it kicks butt!
Old 06-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #78
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shupack View Post
according to the milage calculator in my fuel-log on this site, (can't get it to show in my sig though..) my '95 Range Rover is a hypermiler...at 16mpg....maybe the definition needs to be refined a bit?
Its 20% above EPA...
Old 06-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #79
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slurp812 View Post
Its 20% above EPA...
I know, just seems a bit ironic to me that my gas hog (by any standard) fits that criteria. Maybe (EPA+20%) AND >20mpg???
Old 06-08-2008, 04:11 AM   #80
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by shupack View Post
I know, just seems a bit ironic to me that my gas hog (by any standard) fits that criteria. Maybe (EPA+20%) AND >20mpg???
A hypermiler is a person, not a vehicle. You are a hypermiler because you're beating the EPA estimates for your vehicle by a significant amount. If you got in a vehicle that's EPA rated for 18mpg, you'd certainly get over 20mpg.