What are the hypermile "sleepers" - Page 9 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #81
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewind View Post
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Toyota Paseo, however I guess being such a small car it looks like it'd get high FE, and wouldn't be consider much of a "sleeper". However, the Nissan 240SX 1989-94 or the 1995-98 are very sporty looking, and can get good FE. They are also RWD, so they really have that sporty feel, but they are not so good in snowy or icy winters. On my 91 240SX I get about 30-32MPG just driving lightly, no hypermiling. Even when racing often I still got around 20MPG.
the toyota paseo is a good car for fe my ex had one it got great mileage and she could not kill it.

silversol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slurp812 View Post
My G/F has a 02 Monte SS with the 3.8 shes getting 27+ average, without really hypermiling it at all. I made a ~10 mile trip through town, and back and got the built in MPG gauge to read 32.7 for the round trip! So yea for a 3500 lb car, it kicks butt!
i don't trust the dash units in any anything

COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #83
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 91CavGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMP View Post
i don't trust the dash units in any anything

I agree to a certain extent. I've seen a Dodge quad cab pickup truck that was pretty accurate. I've also seen a 2006 Chevy Suburban that it's fuel economy display was very optimistic.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #84
Registered Member

If you want a hyper miler get a turbo diesel car and run it on corn oil.

In fact I am surprised that few of you guys are not talking about LPG conversions and buying veggie oil for your diesel cars, how come?
Old 06-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #85
Registered Member

My high-revving naturally-aspirated 2.0L powerplant makes 100hp/L and returns about 33mpg average, beating the EPA combined estimate by 43.5%. My best record is ~44mpg on a 35-mile highway trip.

The key is that my engine makes almost zero torque.
PolyOlefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyOlefin View Post
My high-revving naturally-aspirated 2.0L powerplant makes 100hp/L and returns about 33mpg average, beating the EPA combined estimate by 43.5%. My best record is ~44mpg on a 35-mile highway trip.

say what
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #87
Registered Member

My Mustang returns a consistent ~33mpg on the highway, and I have yet to lower, add headers, or UDP. I'm gunning for 40mpg @ 65 Unrealistic? Yes! But I'm interested to know what I can do.

My average down there would be a whole lot higher if I could keep my foot out of it in-town, but I can't. This thing's exhaust sounds too mean!

C5 Corvettes get even better mileage than the Camaros, since they're lighter and slippier. One gent over there's got a cammed LS6 putting 385rwhp to the ground and gets a constant 35mpg on the highway.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:24 AM   #88
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 91CavGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
My Mustang returns a consistent ~33mpg on the highway, and I have yet to lower, add headers, or UDP. I'm gunning for 40mpg @ 65 Unrealistic? Yes! But I'm interested to know what I can do.

My average down there would be a whole lot higher if I could keep my foot out of it in-town, but I can't. This thing's exhaust sounds too mean!

C5 Corvettes get even better mileage than the Camaros, since they're lighter and slippier. One gent over there's got a cammed LS6 putting 385rwhp to the ground and gets a constant 35mpg on the highway.

I agree with you completely. My Wagonstein (3.2L cammed and turboed V6 Cavalier Wagon) has a mean sounding exhaust with a nice lope to it. In town it's hard to keep my foot out of it. The last tank of gas was just over 23 mpg in town. I lowered my rev limit to 3k and lowered max boost to 2 psi to help force me to get better gas mileage in town.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:48 AM   #89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyOlefin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMP View Post
say what
I think the trick there is the BSFC/load thing, since torque is low the engine is very highly loaded at all times, resulting in low BSFC
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #90
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
I agree with you completely. My Wagonstein (3.2L cammed and turboed V6 Cavalier Wagon) has a mean sounding exhaust with a nice lope to it. In town it's hard to keep my foot out of it. The last tank of gas was just over 23 mpg in town. I lowered my rev limit to 3k and lowered max boost to 2 psi to help force me to get better gas mileage in town.
Hey, I could do that! Thanks for the idea!

(watch as my in-town gas mileage skyrockets)