who's using OBD with a laptop? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

s test, i'm seriously thinking of upgrading to a more advanced ODB reader. the folks at insightcentral.net seem to like https://www.obd-2.com in addition to reading some data that the scangauge doesn't show (e.g. fuel trim), i like the idea of b

after today's test, i'm seriously thinking of upgrading to a more advanced ODB reader.

the folks at insightcentral.net seem to like http://www.obd-2.com

in addition to reading some data that the scangauge doesn't show (e.g. fuel trim), i like the idea of being able to actually log the data, rather than only view it instantaneously.

is anyone using such a beast already?

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:34 AM   #2
*shrug*

The idea of logging is

The idea of logging is really good, I think that would allow you to monitor cold start changes every morning, wouldn't it?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:49 AM   #3
Driving on E

I would love to do this on

I would love to do this on my civic once the new engine is in. SVOBoy, assuming I have the right p07, how difficult is it to convert it to datalogging?

What info will I be missing going to obd1?
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:23 AM   #4
*shrug*

If you've got the write p07,

If you've got the write p07, pain in the *** is all I can say, ask me on AIM this weekend when I can do some serious research, the problem with the p07 rather than tuning a p28 is the code is a mystery.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:32 AM   #5
Registered Member

I think a handheld PDA

I think a handheld PDA computer would be more suitable for logging.
I know computer programming and nowadays i was planning to buy an OBDII interface and obtain a PDA computer and log the cars datas every second. If i cant find an appropritae application for logging i am planning to write my own application for my needs.

Also here is a Turkish company in Istanbul, Turkey that produces ODBII interfaces: www.ozenelektronik.com
Their products the "Modbydic" chip is promising and i think they also provide a software for the chip but i dont know if it has logging features. By the way i guess they have a "ECU simulator" chip for development purposes also.. In 2 - 3 weeks time probably i will contact these guys.
Capcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #6
Registered Member

Not real-time, but...

I bought the Davis brand "Car-Chip EX", which is essentially a flash-ROM chip that takes a snapshot of the car's pre-seslected parameters every 5-seconds (5 parameters max, with speed mandatory). I have to bring it back to my laptop to upload the data, but it's worked great so far. It can read trouble codes and reset the CEL, see intake air temps, fuel-trim, battery voltage, etc. It's around $150 and uses a USB-to-serial connection (provided) and a nifty program to store data and view trips in a graphical format. It also calculates average speed, max speed, and excessive G's.

An really inexpensive route is to get a an OBD interface that plugs directly into a laptop for real time info (kinda like scanguage). The programs that run this setup are out there as freeware. I'd like to do this for real-time fuel economy.

RH77
Old 01-13-2006, 01:40 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
to capcom

Ever hear of AutoTap? This thing is on my wishlist for its datalogging and its realtime data modeling. Hook it up a color PDA and voila! Instant graphical or text gauges! Friggin amazing for $199.

Link to the PDA version
Old 01-13-2006, 01:49 PM   #8
Registered Member

a palm pilot would be a cool

a palm pilot would be a cool to do this, but i don't have one.

i do however happen to have an old p120 laptop sitting around that will run the odb-2.com site's software, which seems very similar.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:38 PM   #9
Registered Member

Re: If you've got the write p07,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
If you've got the write p07, pain in the *** is all I can say.
LOL at least he's honest :P mat i know a little too and could help u on the windows messenger

Need this stuff gone!
https://www.honda-tech.com/zero...67053[/B]
GasSavers_Diemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:44 PM   #10
*shrug*

Thing about the p07 is you

Thing about the p07 is you can get the right type that's chippable and all that, and the code is out there also, but no one really knows what the **** in the code actually means. It can be done/found out though, if you're serious, matt, I'm pretty confident I can the maps and possibly with some more learning and lots of searching things like enabled datalogging and all the neat stuff. I could also write a p07 editor in c++/java.