2016 Jetta Hybrid Spare Tire - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #11
Registered Member

Thanks for posting the article, Charon. Interesting read. I had no idea car manufacturers were moving towards inflator kits, although it doesn't surprise me. Serves a dual purpose: reduces weight (good for us) and cuts cost (good for them).

My driving style is generally about the speed limit. I'm older, so I don't have any interest in speeding like I did in my youth. This car tends to make me want to go slower, which I need to fight. I'm usually more like you are, Draigflag.

As I said, I'm learning this vehicle. So yesterday the drive to work yielded 46.9 MPG. Today it was exactly 57 MPG. The difference is, I used the Eco button while driving through the towns with stop signs/red lights. Speed limit is 35 MPH. Once the Jetta Hybrid hits 45 MPH, it turns the Eco mode off. Just doing that bought me 10 MPG on the way in.

I've noticed, short rides get horrible mileage. At lunch I drove to a mall up the road. Traffic, a few lights, and it's all uphill on the way there. The ride is only a few miles. There and back, I got about 20 MPG. Terrible! The TDI didn't do as well with this run either, but it did a lot better than 20 MPG.

Curious to see what the onboard computer reports compared to a real-world calculation at the pump when it's time to add my second tank of gas/petro. So far, the estimate is only about 36 MPG overall. I'd like to think a hybrid like this would do better than that.

Premington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #12
Registered Member

There are a lot of conflicting articles out there on the hybrid V's diesel debate. I've posted a few on here to help people make a better decision. The majority of people will be better off, both financially and fuel economy wise, with a diesel, but it can vary depending on where you live and what kind of journeys you do. In many ways, hybrids shoot themselves in the foot, the extra weight and drag caused by the regenerative brakes can actually harm fuel economy ironically. My Honda hybrid is yielding better figures now I've disconnected the hybrid system, which is kind of stupid!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #13
Registered Member

As a diesel owner, i used to fight for diesel over petrol. As a hybrid owner, i now fight for hybrid over diesel!
On a fuel economy website, the prime reason is a hybrid delivers better mpg.
A big comfy diesel gave me 46 mpg, a big comfy hybrid 65 mpg.
The hybrid is also a more powerful and pleasant drive.
I especially love the CVT compared to a badly geared 6 speed manual.
I appreciate the hybrid may cost a little more than the diesel, but better economy and free road tax will more than pay that back.
I think there is a big gap between hybrids that are assist only, and hybrids that offer full EV and assist.
If you look at the difference between Honda and Toyota on here - jazz v yaris or insight v prius, i seem to find better economy from Toyota.
Are the VW hybrids full hybrid with assist and pure EV, or just assist type?
Old 07-29-2016, 02:38 AM   #14
Registered Member

The VW hybrids are full hybrids. They have a 150 HP, turbocharged 1.4L paralleled to a 27 V, 1.1Kw electric motor. It has a dual-clutch tranny. The clutch pack disengage at stop and runs one or both at startup, depending whether you're in Sports mode or general driving mode. In Sports mode, it runs both motors and can generate up to 170 HP with 184 ft. lbs. of torque.

I guess it's a muscle hybrid, considering the turbocharge, which probably accounts for some mileage loss.

For me, I don't generally use the extra power, but do like knowing it's there if I need it.

I considered an EV, but the range is too poor these days. Couldn't take it on a long trip without first figuring out how to get power to it, which would be difficult. Not all states here in the US are EV friendly, and even those that are (like NY), there aren't a lot of "filling" areas to recharge. I think this'll change in time. California is the most progressive, with recharging stations all over the place.

If you look at the US sales trends, the hybrid market is shrinking and the EV market is growing. It makes sense, I suppose, to focus on the EV market and build up that base in a way that pleases consumers with better mileage and a more reasonable price point.

VW has said it'll be coming out with 25 EVs by 2025, with some being released starting in 2020. They're projecting a range of around 180 miles per charge. I've read they're in contact with some battery manufacturers in Silicon Valley. I've also heard that the cars for the US will be manufactured in the States. It'll be interesting to see what they do.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:33 AM   #15
Registered Member

Hybrids will tend to do better on city routes, and diesels will match and can beat them on the highway. Many of the high MPG diesel runs in the US were in cheating VWs though. Even when not a cheater diesel, hybrids will be cleaner on emissions.

Regenerative braking is great for efficiency and brake life; the Prius can easily go over 100k miles on the original pads. It is dumb that manufacturers have it programed to simulate transmission drag, but I understand the safety and consumer familiarity reasons. Feathering the accelerator should turn it off.

Many manufacturers are going with turbo charging to get better fuel economy on the official tests, which are mostly gentle enough to keep the car out of boost.

Better fuel economy is basically the only selling point hybrids have. So their sales fluctuate with gas prices. EVs other more than fuel economy. There is performance and ride quality increases, along with switching from a mostly imported to a nearly all domestic fuel.

VW has officially cancelled the Jetta hybrid in the US. They cite low sales, but they also only offered it in a top of the line trim, so was the most expensive Jetta.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:14 AM   #16
Registered Member

The technique of small engine plus turbocharger has been around for decades. Internal combustion engines operate most efficiently at high power settings, usually best around 90% rated power. Use a small engine which can be operated at a fairly high power setting for efficiency, then add a turbocharger to make up for the low power available from a small displacement engine when needed. A small drawback is that the turbo acts as an intake restriction when not spun up, and it always acts as an exhaust restriction.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #17
Registered Member

While I do like the turbocharged design, it does seem somewhat counterproductive to the entire goal of fuel economy. Along with the VW dieselgate fiasco, perhaps this is part of the reason VW is backing out of the hybrid market. I'm not sure what other hybrid sedans are sold in the US that offer turbocharged engines. I would guess not many, if any, other than VW. While I like the power, I don't plan to use it, unless (as I said) I need it, like during passing or some other situation where I need sudden power.

For me, I get a hybrid for fuel economy. My decision to get the Jetta is due to just loving the car. After my other one was totaled, I want a Jetta again. No TDIs in the States at the moment, so hybrid it is!
Old 07-29-2016, 04:14 PM   #18
Registered Member

Seems strange having the hybrid assist and a turbo, usually one of them is enough to boost performance. Is it the TSI? If so, that will be turbocharged and supercharged. On a non hybrid setup, a turbocharged engine will be more efficient, you can change gear early, leave it in higher gears at lower speeds and take advantage of the extra torque. But in a hybrid, I'm not sure what affect it will have!

Old 07-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #19
Registered Member

Yeah, I'd agree, Draigflag. And, yes, it's a turbocharged TSI, but not supercharged. The extra power does provide more options for gearing, which helps with using the DSG tranny in manual mode. I'm avoiding that, for now. I want to get a feel for driving it without thinking about manual shifting.

For decades I've preferred manual, so moving to Tiptronic is a bit of a switch. The Mrs. doesn't know nor does she want to know how to drive a manual, so I went with the DSG Hybrid.

You gotsta' listen to the Mrs! I'd like her to feel she can drive it, if she needs to.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:37 AM   #20
Registered Member

Well a DSG keeps everyone happy then, it's probably the closest thing to an auto I'd consider, I'd miss the clutch, but at least you still have some control over the gearing if you want it.