2016 Jetta Hybrid Spare Tire - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-27-2016, 05:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

2016 Jetta Hybrid Spare Tire

Does anyone here have a VW Jetta Hybrid? Did you receive a spare tire?

I picked up my new hybrid last night--real nice car, so far. I wanted a different color than what was on the lot, so the dealer located what I wanted and had it transported to the dealership. When I got it, there's no spare, just a refill kit with compressor where the tire would/should be. The salesman explained that the Jett Hybrid doesn't come with a spare for weight reduction.

The strange thing is, the other VW hybrid I test drove I thought I saw a full-sized spare in the rear. The salesman said I'm mistaken. When I saw it, I remember thinking "Wow... A full sized spare. That's great!" But I've been looking at a lot of new cars lately and perhaps crossed memories with another car I checked out.

I'm curious if others here received their Jetta Hybrid with a spare.

-Paul

Premington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hello and welcome, congrats on the new car. It's been a long time since I ever had a spare tyre, punctures are very rare and manufactures are more interested in saving weight and space these days. I can't help RE the Jetta, but I'd say it's most probably normal across the range if your car is fitted with a inflation kit.

So how does the hybrid compare with the popular TDI?

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah, can't remember the last time I changed a wheel. Maybe around 2007. Used to be semi regular, as while delivering pizzas I'd pick up part worn tyres for about £6 a corner at the scrapyard...can remember having to change a wheel while someones tea got cold...! Funny, since switching to new tyres, no more problems...
Old 07-27-2016, 07:03 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, guys. Nice to know the tire didn't get swapped out on me.

I also haven't changed a tire in a long, long time! I know I've done it, but it's been so long, I forget when.

How do I see the hybrid compared to my previous 2011 TDI? I've only had it a day, so time will tell. But I can tell you this: I take the same 18-mile route to work that I've done for the last ~10 years. The TDI would get between 46 and 53 MPG (53.4 was it's record) on the way there and 42 to 46 MPG on the way home. The variability is partially due to the time of year. In New York, it can get wicked cold in the winter.

With the hybrid, today, I got 46.9 MPG on the way to work and 37.9 MPG on the way home. Roads are rural and weave through two little towns, so there are a few stop signs, lights, and a traffic circle (roundabout) along the way. We have hills and "rollers" here, so there is some climbing and dropping of terrain.

I like the way the hybrid rides, and I really enjoy the driving experience. She's smooth, responsive, and this model handles a bit better than the TDI. I get off on concentrating on the most efficient driving style and experimenting with different things. This car definitely allows me to do that, and it requires I learn a new use of the driving techniques I used in the TDI. I'm still learning the car.

The TDI is missed. She was a great car, and I loved her look (toffee brown with cornsilk interior). But I think, as long as it holds up, I'll bond with this car as well. As I said, it's a fun drive! I'm skeptical I'll get the same or better mileage than that TDI. The TDI onboard computer was pretty accurate, within 1 to 2 MPG compared to manually figuring my mileage. The TDI gets excellent mileage.

With the TDI, the mileage VW projects was understated--at least with the car I had. I typically did better than the EPA-reported mileage. With this car, I don't think that'll be the case.

Glad to meet other hybrid owners. There aren't a lot of us out there. I was reading a government website the other day that showed the US sales for hybrid Jettas. June 2016 VW sold only 44. Man... That's not many. Locally, the dealers here only have two for sale.

So the car is a little bit of a head turner for those who notice it's uniqueness. Pretty cool.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:08 PM   #5
Registered Member

Good review, thanks. You have much to learn about the hybrid, as you say, you'll need to learn what works best to maximise the economy as they are quite different to conventional cars. You should see a big benefit in city traffic in NYC as hybrids tend to be more efficient in stop/start low speed conditions.

I think some people are still being little cry babies about the emission scandal, and that has affected sales somewhat sadly, the market seems very sensitive over there, but at the end of the day, VW build good solid cars.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:46 AM   #6
Registered Member

I do like a brown car - shame the missus doesn't...!
Having switched from diesel to hybrid myself, I have seen an improvement in economy and power.
I've been able to gain this while also getting a car one or two classes bigger, comfier and packed with equipment!
I have shaved 5 seconds off my 0-60 time and added 50 more horses (not that I ever practiced my 0-60...) by ditching a Hyundai i20 1.1 3 cylinder diesel and replacing it with a new Prius.
The hybrid seems to be most efficient going faster than normal or much slower than normal - where a diesel seemed more efficient cruising at an average speed.
Just checked - all I have is an odd looking puncture repair kit hidden in the boot.
As for VW, my most reliable old banger was a £375 1998 Polo 1.9 diesel, mechanically sound but looked like a shed. Returned mid '50s.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:37 AM   #7
Registered Member

A Polo 1.9 diesel... That's fantastic! Love those old cars, especially if they give the miles you reported. Thanks for checking the spare area, benlpovesgodess.

Draigflag: I'm actually in upstate New York, about 360 miles from NYC. Still, as you said, it seems this car is more sculpted towards my driving than the TDI. The TDI is the king of the highway. I do very little highway driving, mostly rural and town driving, which this seems well suited.

So what driving style do you guys prefer? When I drive this car, I tend to baby it. I go slower than I did with the TDI and concentrate in keeping the battery operational more often than the gas engine. I've been reading the user's manual quite a bit, and it's dense with information--well written (and I'm a technical writer by trade).

The manual talks to some extent on driving efficiency and the importance of a consistent driving speed. It also says that the car knows when to flip between the battery and gas engine, and that using the gas engine is sometimes more efficient. I haven't figured out when to use the Eco mode as opposed to regular driving without it.

How do you guys use these modes, and what way do you find is the most efficient way to drive?
Old 07-28-2016, 03:17 AM   #8
Registered Member

This article is a couple of years old, and I am sure things are not improving. Just do an internet search on some variation of "cars without spare tires" and you will find plenty.
Your Next Car May Not Have a Spare Tire - Consumer Reports News
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:03 AM   #9
Registered Member

The Prius has eco, regular and power modes. They basically just alter the responsiveness of the throttle. In eco (which it rarely leaves!) it has more range, more control at the low end, nice and gentle. In power, instant surge of acceleration, almost impossible to keep within the eco bar (instead of a rev counter, an eco bar takes its place).
I have just driven around 20 miles, an indicated 74 mpg, having used the EV for 63% of our journey.
We're just pottering around country lanes mainly, but keeping pace with traffic on main roads too.
Its a shame there isnt an ICE override - sometimes you are using battery when the petrol engine could be achieving 70 mpg and recharging the battery.
If the battery is healthy though, it will automatically take over.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #10
Registered Member

In general i'm quite a gentle driver, accelerating from a standstill uses a lot of fuel/energy. But I stick to the limits, or cruise just above. I'm a realist, I don't believe in driving slower than normal, adding extra time to a journey and annoying other drivers on the road just to save a bit of fuel, the cost benefits just aren't worth it for me. I'm pleased cars are now efficient enough to drive normally without too much effort, and still get good figures, diesels are famous for this.