Chevy Volt Stats Tracking - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hybrid Vehicles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2017, 06:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

Chevy Volt Stats Tracking

I came across this neat website that tracks fuel consumption in the real World for Chevy Volts. You can use the spreadsheet to sort the data. For example the highest mileage Volt on the website is 368,818 miles and 128,344 of those miles were done using electricity.

Volt Stats interfaces with OnStar to collect data about the performance of Chevy Volts driving in the real world.

Volt Stats! Tracking real world usage of Chevy Volts in the wild...

Old 02-16-2017, 11:12 PM   #2
Registered Member

Interesting stats, so there are 2629 Volts on the road? That's quite rare, they were sold as the Vaxhaul Ampera here, but they stopped selling it due to it's unpopularity. There are about 1200 here in the UK I think. Weird to see some people are getting 32 MPG, and others are getting 15,000 MPG, what a difference!?

This kind of tracking is vital to determine real World range, Tesla do the same I believe, tracking over 1,000,000 electric miles by their owners every day.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

GM sold around 100,000 Chevy Volts / Opel Amperas World wide. The few thousand on the site is probably the people who have OnStar and wanted their data published. Most higher spec new GMs come with OnStar and it is free for a year, after that it costs about $40/month. I think in order to have this data, you have to keep paying for OnStar.

The 15,000MPG is not a good representative for fuel usage for a plug in car. I think the MPGe is a better unit since it also includes the electricity used to move the vehicle. The best Volt is 108MPGe and the worst on this site is about 32MPGe.

The site also has the Spark EV, Bolt and the Cadillac ELR listed, just click on the different model.

" MPGe: Counts all electric miles driven as 93, 94 or 98 "MPGe", depending on the model year of the vehicle. See this wikipedia page for the gory details, but in short, 33.7 kw*hrs of energy has been determined to be equal to one gallon of gasoline, and the Volt is rated at a combined 93 MPGe (0.36 kw*hrs/mi) by the EPA for the 2011 model, 94 MPGe for 2012, 98 MPGe for 2013 and up, and 106 MPGe for 2016 and up. This gives a better account of the true energy usage of the vehicle, in a number that's easily comparable to traditional cars. However, this is just an estimation - I cannot currently read raw kw*hrs from Onstar, so actual energy usage could be better or worse than this number. Hopefully we can get a real MPGe calculation in the near future. The formula is: Total Miles / (Gallons Burned + (EV Miles / EPA rating))"
Old 02-22-2017, 10:28 PM   #4
Registered Member

They gathered pretty good data! Thought there were more 100k Volts built.
visorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by visorX View Post
They gathered pretty good data! Thought there were more 100k Volts built.
"In July 2016, Volt sales in the American market passed the 100,000 unit milestone, out of about 117,000 Volt/Ampera family vehicles sold worldwide through June 2016." Wikipedia
Old 02-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #6
Registered Member

....I should also mention if anyone cares that GM is selling Opel and Vauxhall to Peugeot; so I'm assuming that will put stop to the sale of the Vauxhall / Opel Ampera.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:33 AM   #7
Registered Member

The Ampera was cancelled when the gen2 Volt came out.
The Bolt is going by Ampera-E in Europe.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #8
Registered Member

It won't be sold in the UK. On that topic, did you hear a Bolt owner managed 300 miles on a charge?

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:28 PM   #9
Registered Member

My 2017 Volt got 937 mpg on its first tank, which lasted from delivery in mid March until late November. That first fill up came at 7988 miles. It took 8.522 gallons. At that fill up, my MPGe was 131. Now having gone through a complete Wisconsin, USA winter, my MPGe is at 116...and rising again with the return of warm weather here. In that cold weather, I never got less than 58 miles on a charge, and in the warmer weather I typically see at least 75 miles with a rare foray into the low-80-mile range. I don't subscribe to OnStar, so don't look for my data there. The car is absolutely awesome...

golfzilla is offline   Reply With Quote