Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hybrid Vehicles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
Driving on E

ElectroCharger assist motor to retro-fit any car into a hybrid

b1gmoose recently pointed us in the direction of this product:

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/electrocharger/electrocharger.php

The concept behind the electrocharger is that it will act as both an electric motor to help acceleration AND as an alternator. It takes the place of the alternator and battery in the car. In theory it gives a boost of HP during initial acceleration, which will theoretically help with gas mileage (you get up to speed faster, have a partial electric assist, etc.)

So, the next questions is, "when does it come out?"

After doing a little search on the internet, i found my answer. It is NOT coming out. Read what one of the developers of the product said about it:

Read More Here

Basically, the MPG claims are unfounded, the unveiling at the SEMA Show never happened like it was reported to have happened, and the product is no where near production. In fact, it lacks serious funding.

Which is okay by me, considering that they were reportedly going to ask $6000 for each unit.

Either way, I think that this is a very interesting topic.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 03:45 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: ElectroCharger assist motor to retro-fit any car into a hybr

Actually it is coming out. I am in the process of sourcing some capitol for them. I will have to sign an NDA shortly. But it may be another year until it comes out. Check slashdot, and read the parent post for the developers comment. There are some issues internally within the group that are getting ironed out. If you know any companies or individuals willing to pony up some serious cash (100K plus) let me or the developers know.

www.ecoelectrictechnology.com is the official site for them. SigmaAutomotive is one of their advertisers.

Estimated prices are between 2500-4500. This would probably be targeted at the RV market and fleet market first (say taxi's anybody?)

~ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
b1gmoose recently pointed us in the direction of this product:

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/electrocharger/electrocharger.php

The concept behind the electrocharger is that it will act as both an electric motor to help acceleration AND as an alternator. It takes the place of the alternator and battery in the car. In theory it gives a boost of HP during initial acceleration, which will theoretically help with gas mileage (you get up to speed faster, have a partial electric assist, etc.)

So, the next questions is, "when does it come out?"

After doing a little search on the internet, i found my answer. It is NOT coming out. Read what one of the developers of the product said about it:

Read More Here

Basically, the MPG claims are unfounded, the unveiling at the SEMA Show never happened like it was reported to have happened, and the product is no where near production. In fact, it lacks serious funding.

Which is okay by me, considering that they were reportedly going to ask $6000 for each unit.

Either way, I think that this is a very interesting topic.

b1gmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:06 AM   #3
Driving on E

Re: ElectroCharger assist motor to retro-fit any car into a hybr

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gmoose
Actually it is coming out. I am in the process of sourcing some capitol for them. I will have to sign an NDA shortly. But it may be another year until it comes out. Check slashdot, and read the parent post for the developers comment. There are some issues internally within the group that are getting ironed out. If you know any companies or individuals willing to pony up some serious cash (100K plus) let me or the developers know.

www.ecoelectrictechnology.com is the official site for them. SigmaAutomotive is one of their advertisers.

Estimated prices are between 2500-4500. This would probably be targeted at the RV market and fleet market first (say taxi's anybody?)

~ryan
Considering what I read about it and how the MPG gains are all theory, can we expect to see any MPG testing anytime soon for this device?

While the cost is a little too much for me and my civic, I think it's a great idea for new cars if it drastically helps with gas mileage in the city.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote