GM hybrid pickup bites the dust - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #11
Team OPEC Busters!

And there are stock trucks that get better mileage without the "hybrid" parts and for a lot less $

GasSavers_Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #12
Registered Member

It was a belt-alternator-starter. Would be nice as a standard add-on, but it's hardly 'hybrid'.

The inverter was kind of cool, but contractors didn't exactly scramble for them. Nice Honda 3kw generators are a lot less than $3000, they don't use gas like a V8, they aren't attached to a truck, and they probably already own a couple of them. The other big generator use is service trucks, but those are welder/generators. So basically it was a solution in search of a problem.

GasSavers_Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 02:20 AM   #13
Registered Member

Talking Rant mode "on"

Yeah I don't even think the prius should be called a hybrid, unless it is plugged to recharge every night.

Since I engine off coast my ZX2, it is a hybrid, just like the silverado! I deserve an "alternative fuel" lisence plate! and tax credits!

I also don't think propane should be considered "alternative fuel" or any fuel that is relied on oil.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:38 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprice View Post
Since I engine off coast my ZX2, it is a hybrid, just like the silverado! I deserve an "alternative fuel" lisence plate! and tax credits!
Instead of driving gas-electric hybrids that store their energy temporarily in the form of battery chemistry, which is later retrieved to power the vehicle, we drive gas-gravity-kinetic energy hybrids that store their energy temporarily in the form of elevation and/or velocity which is later retrieved to power the vehicle while it is rolling with the engine off. I have had people ask me if my car was an electric car or a hybrid after they watched me drive down a street, turn into a parking lot, and pull into a parking slot with my engine shut down the whole time
Old 04-28-2007, 01:26 PM   #15
Team GasMisers5!

Basjoos - I was thinking about this today (gas/gravity/kinetic energy hybrid).

The advantage of using gravity + kinetic energy is that you 'store' 100% of the energy - the downside is that, the more (kinetic) energy you store, the faster it decays. I now try (if no-one is around, and I'm not in a rush), to switch off the engine while going uphill, so I go over the top of the hill at 15mph, giving me a lot more travel on the other side before the wind resistance starts really cutting in. My favourite hills are those where you can do 30mph down the other side without speeding up more than this

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote