Honda Insight Mk1 - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #11
Registered Member

Yea I saw that one too. I'm just in awe of the ingenious design and appreciate the vast technical engineering hurdles they must have had to overcome to create a car like this. This car weighs less than your average small car, which is remarkable for a hybrid with big batteries and electric motors. I like the clever use of light materials too.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:26 AM   #12
Registered Member

Ok just got back, it was a 5 hour round trip, a long way to go for a test drive. Car itself was near mint, straight bodywork, solid underneath, no cosmetic issues inside or out. The seller came with me for the generous 21 mile test drive. So here are my worries given that I know little about the battery and whats normal/not normal operation for the battery.

Started the car and the battery had about 3-4 bars lit up, I'd say about 20%. After about 5 miles, the battery was at the top, about 85% and wouldn't go any higher. So I noticed the "charge" light had then switched to "assist" as I was accelerating etc. Could feel the motor gently pushing the car. Then after about 15 miles I started being a bit careless with the accelerator, and the battery dropped all the way back down to empty again. I drove gently for the last few miles, but as we pulled up, the battery was on the 20% mark again. I should add that the "IMA" warning light came on about half way through the test drive and didn't go off.

So is this normal? I had assumed a full battery would last a bit longer than a few miles of acceleration, but I'm pretty new to this tech. If it needs a new one, I may be able to use this as a bargain tool, I REALLY want this car.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #13
Registered Member

I can only report on how it goes in the Prius - the battery is fairly quick to both charge and discharge. Does the Insight use acceleration, deceleration and braking to recharge the battery? Honda IMA means just that, no pure EV? Any brisk accelerating and the battery goes right away. Super gentle dawdling will make it last...I imagine you need some Insight owners advice. I am on (but not much!) a great site called Honda Karma, bet you'll find some help there. Dude, just get it! Hell, my Rover 75 was a nightmare, always breaking down and costing me money. However, it is still my 2nd favourite all time car after the Prius! What's the worst that can happen? You'll have a car you love that costs you money and breaks down. You'll really enjoy the overall experience, regardless of problems. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2016, 12:42 PM   #14
Registered Member

The Jag, in Atlantic blue, nearly got a crick in the neck from looking back at her ...great to drive, comfortable... But a car you only buy one of...! A £575 ****heap gave me more pleasure than that £12,700 i20. I came very close to the Insight, and if I didn't have to cater for the missus too, would have probably got one.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:14 PM   #15
Registered Member

I get where you're coming from, but the truth is, I'm 90% sure it needs a new battery, which means getting over to Yorkshire so the "only" guy in the UK can fit it for £2000. It's a big chunk, almost another insight for that money really, has to factored in. If you bought any car that needed a £2000 repair just after you bought it, you'd be upset. I'm going to sleep on, and hope there's more movement in the price...

Old 04-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #16
LDB
Registered Member

Maybe the seller would go in for a percentage of the batteries swap?

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:05 PM   #17
Registered Member

True, £2,000 in bills right after purchase is a passion killer. That Jag cost me £2,000 in bills, just spread over the 10 short months I owned her. It was this high repair cost that made me consider a brand new car for the first time. Never really regretted it though, cos I loved that Rover 75! If the final straw hadnt been the head gasket going I would probably have kept throwing money at it, at the rate of £200 a month!
Old 04-23-2016, 10:07 PM   #18
Registered Member

Or what about looking at a fresh low mileage import (I'm sure 40-60,000 mile models were available) - batteries should be full of life?
That's if those guys with the £4,000 - £6,000 cars can be bothered to reply to you!
Old 04-23-2016, 10:08 PM   #19
Registered Member

PS - get any pictures of it..?
Old 04-23-2016, 11:38 PM   #20
Registered Member

LBD, yes I'm hoping the seller understands how expensive the battery is, anyone going to look at an insight will be an enthusiast and will know thier stuff. They're all going to realise it needs a battery after a test drive, which will no doubt put people off.

No didn't take any pics, but I'll post the Autotrader ad at the bottom. I'm not keen on the Imports, they are all autos which are not as efficient and are heavier too, and the imports can be more expensive to insure too.

Honda Insight 1.0 i VTEC IMA Hybrid 2dr