Honda Insight Mk1 - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-24-2016, 03:43 AM   #21
Registered Member

Looks fab! Citrus is the insight colour I love the most, but this is a nice one too. I know you are hard to convince otherwise (just as I was!), but auto does drive really well...and is possibly even better for hybrid economy than a manual. Dunno if the Insight is a CVT. When I looked at Insights I was fixated on the rare manuals, but started to think an auto might be all there was available.
Has anyone on that Honda Karma been able to give you some advice?

Old 04-24-2016, 07:08 AM   #22
Registered Member

Thanks for the thoughts. Well I joined Insight central, a forum just for the IMA Hondas, mostly the gen 1 Insight. I've had a good reply from the guru on there so watch this space!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #23
Registered Member

Well I went for it, I must be mad. Broke and mad! Got a good price in the end, seller appreciated the battery probably needs replacing so we agreed a price. Kind of nervous now. But excited too.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:14 PM   #24
Registered Member

Nice one! Be great to hear how it is to live with, the technology and real mpg figures. A Mk1 insight will be the first classic I buy, in some far off unspecified time where I can afford such luxurious fun!
When will she be on your drive...?
Old 04-24-2016, 11:24 PM   #25
Registered Member

Should be here tomorrow. It's going to get very limited usage initially, probably not insuring it until June when mine runs out so I can get a multicar discount.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:46 AM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Ok just got back, it was a 5 hour round trip, a long way to go for a test drive. Car itself was near mint, straight bodywork, solid underneath, no cosmetic issues inside or out. The seller came with me for the generous 21 mile test drive. So here are my worries given that I know little about the battery and whats normal/not normal operation for the battery.

Started the car and the battery had about 3-4 bars lit up, I'd say about 20%. After about 5 miles, the battery was at the top, about 85% and wouldn't go any higher. So I noticed the "charge" light had then switched to "assist" as I was accelerating etc. Could feel the motor gently pushing the car. Then after about 15 miles I started being a bit careless with the accelerator, and the battery dropped all the way back down to empty again. I drove gently for the last few miles, but as we pulled up, the battery was on the 20% mark again. I should add that the "IMA" warning light came on about half way through the test drive and didn't go off.

So is this normal? I had assumed a full battery would last a bit longer than a few miles of acceleration, but I'm pretty new to this tech. If it needs a new one, I may be able to use this as a bargain tool, I REALLY want this car.
Was it just the IMA light? A quick search seems to imply having a battery light also on is the one to worry about. Even then, it is lightly just a single cell or module of the pack that is bad.

Some Insight owners have invested in a grid charger(@$350) to top off the pack, and that seems to solve some problems.

Even if the battery goes tits up, the Insight can still be driven without it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Should be here tomorrow. It's going to get very limited usage initially, probably not insuring it until June when mine runs out so I can get a multicar discount.
Surprised you couldn't get the discount as soon as you added the car.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:53 AM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlovesgoddess View Post
I can only report on how it goes in the Prius - the battery is fairly quick to both charge and discharge. Does the Insight use acceleration, deceleration and braking to recharge the battery? Honda IMA means just that, no pure EV? Any brisk accelerating and the battery goes right away. Super gentle dawdling will make it last...I imagine you need some Insight owners advice. I am on (but not much!) a great site called Honda Karma, bet you'll find some help there. Dude, just get it! Hell, my Rover 75 was a nightmare, always breaking down and costing me money. However, it is still my 2nd favourite all time car after the Prius! What's the worst that can happen? You'll have a car you love that costs you money and breaks down. You'll really enjoy the overall experience, regardless of problems. Good luck!
Hybrids range in the degree that the hybrid side helps out.

There is the full or strong hybrids that can power the car on the electric alone at one end, and the mild or weak ones at the other. A minimal mild hybrid system just provides start/stop and regenerative braking with no input to propelling. Start/stop alone is referred to as a micro-hybrid in some circles.

IMA falls in between the two extremes. It can't go pure EV, but it helps much more in propelling the car than what a mild hybrid does. This middle ground is sometimes called assist hybrids after the IMA.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
Was it just the IMA light? A quick search seems to imply having a battery light also on is the one to worry about. Even then, it is lightly just a single cell or module of the pack that is bad.

Some Insight owners have invested in a grid charger(@$350) to top off the pack, and that seems to solve some problems.

Even if the battery goes tits up, the Insight can still be driven without it.
Surprised you couldn't get the discount as soon as you added the car.
Yes I've been reading about the grid charger, sounds like a worthy investment as it can balance the pack out so you get even charges, and it can break down the crystals that can form in the cells too. But I suspect as most batteries seem to die after 10 years, this will need replacing soon. As for the insurance, you can't add a car to your policy here, it needs it's own policy and details etc (unless you have trade insurance)

Old 04-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #29
LDB
Registered Member

Wow, that's interesting about the insurance. We can add/delete any time and get multi-car and whatever other discounts may apply at any time. By June you'll have it so cleaned and polished it will gain a few mpg from the air flowing so easily over the wax job.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #30
Registered Member

You can get multicar policies, but they are actually just two separate policies, and you have to add the tedious details for each car. It's just a way insurance companies get you to insure two cars, they just add the premiums together at the end then take a small percentage off to help seal the deal.

The grid charger is a good option, however the car needs to sit charging for some time, something I can't do as I don't have a driveway or a parking space, but I guess I could leave it at my parents house.