Honda Insight Mk1 - Page 9 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hybrid Vehicles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #81
Registered Member

I suppose the link is the fewer pollutants your car provides from the norm, the smaller the damage you do to the environment. True, it is unlikely flowers will bloom as I drive past, but there has to be a tenuous link between lowering your emissions and happier plants! Unless of course we are putting out less Co2....

Old 05-12-2016, 05:05 AM   #82
Registered Member

Ford has been using a leaf as part of their hybrid emblem from the beginning, before the Smartgauge. It might even go back to their flex-fuel vehicles. I think green equals leaf seemed like an obvious association to someone. How did the other markets come to using blue for their less environmentally damaging cars?

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #83
Registered Member

I think the Leaf association has been around much longer to be honest, Google image search "Eco logo" and you'll see just how many companies actually use a leaf. It tends to be the German brands that use "Blue" Mercedes Bluetech and VW Bluemotion, not entirely sure why, thought maybe it had something to do with the adblue additive used with some of the emission injection systems? Who knows...

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #84
Registered Member

Toyota uses blue highlights on the company emblem for the hybrid models.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #85
Registered Member

My eco Hyundai was Bluedrive. Skoda have Greenline brand. Someone uses Bluefficiency I think - possibly Mercedes? It has made itself an eco brand, as you see Blue on a car or tyre (I bought Dunlop Bluresponse for the Hyundai, and I reckon the Prius has a blu somewhere on its rubber) and you automatically think it is especially efficient. Electric Nissans and Renaults have fully blue rather than chrome badges. The PHEV in Mitsubishi is lettered in blue.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:32 PM   #86
Registered Member

Anyway Paul, you'll not be too far off your first Fuelly mpg report for you Insight? I guess it has a small fuel tank. Does it drive as well as the Clio - do you prefer it, either for a better experience, or for the enjoyment of driving such an interesting and beautiful car? I have calmed down - had too much fun accelerating under the pretence of investigating "pulse and glide"...! I am now back to gently following the eco guides on the displays and getting much better daily and trip computer figures, I expect a 10% improvement next full tank.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:21 AM   #87
Registered Member

Well I've only done about 400 miles so far. To drive it kind of reminds me of a Classic car, its lightweight construction and lack of refinements and just the noise of the engine, it kind of has a "put put" tappety noise when driving about town. It has pretty stiff suspension, not uncomfy but you notice those speed bumps more! Which reminds me, its a bit clunky low speed so I think the ball joints, strut mounts or similar need looking at before the MOT. Its nowhere near as nice to drive as the Clio, in fact, it makes me appreciate the Clio more and what a great car it is in comparison. Not just the Clio, but modern cars in general have come a long way in the last decade in terms of technology, comfort, refinements etc, there are very few compromises.

Acceleration is very modest, must be 8 years since I've had a car with no turbo, you really have to work the little engine, especially when there's no battery boost. On some of the hills here, I'm down the second gear, in the Clio, you'd just squeeze the throttle and let diesel torque and the turbo do its magic. But once you have some battery assist, its pretty nippy, especially the first few gears, enough to overtake anyway. Overall though, I'm still in love with the design and general quirkiness of it, attracts a lot of attention and gets people talking. Its nice owning an interesting car. The poor Clio has been abandoned since buying it, that may change this afternoon as I might be going to Manchester with friends.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:57 PM   #88
Registered Member

I saw one of these Insights last week, here. Gee... I didn't even know of their existence until this forum. In person, the back appears wider. Sticks out more.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:15 AM   #89
Registered Member

Yes, they look very different in the metal to what they do in pictures. Most of my friends have been laying it into me big time about buying the car (although I'm not one to care what people think) but once they see it, I can see them getting interested, asking questions etc. Just two days ago I was driving about town, windows down and some guy said "that's a nifty little car isn't it" haha

Old 06-05-2016, 10:29 PM   #90
Registered Member

Yeah, when people asked me to show them pics of this car I was going on about, not one person was impressed! The only real one I can remember seeing was at a classic car show in around 2008, and though it was in the citrus I like, I thought at the time "what a swizz - its only 5 years old!".
I only started appreciating them in the last few years.