Lexus' attempt at a Hybrid - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-20-2007, 07:19 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I agree that the SUV "Hybrid" market makes for $$$ for manufacturers. Maybe I should just make a bumper sticker that says "My non-Hybrid car gets 5 times better mpg than your "Hybrid" SUV" :chuckles

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:27 AM   #12
Supporting Member

SVOboy -

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Honda wanted to balance the civic hybrid with the accord hybrid, one is for MPG and one is for performance/mpg, just to prove it can be done. I admit, it is somewhat silly, but not terribly.
I read that the Accord Hybrid was a sales failure because of the performance emphasis. I can see this for a luxury car like their Acuras, but not a "practical" Honda Accord.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:29 AM   #13
*shrug*

Yeah, well, I'd agree it was a failure in general, but still, they tried and they'll figure out out sooner or later,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:10 PM   #14
Registered Member

Toyota hasn't really impressed me since my old Tercel.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Honda wanted to balance the civic hybrid with the accord hybrid, one is for MPG and one is for performance/mpg, just to prove it can be done. I admit, it is somewhat silly, but not terribly.
That was pretty much a rhetorical question. I had 2 hybrids when they introduced the Accord and even considered picking one up since they came back as fast as they sold them - for a while they could be had cheap on the used car lot. It's sad the Accord 4cyl can whoop the hybrid brother in MPG but I guess the Accord Hybrid is fastttttttt.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:14 AM   #16
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
Granted, you might not have the same 0-60 speed.
i am glad you figured it out. i will gladly trade lose 1mpg if i can lose one .5 seconds in the quarter mile.

i know a lot of people dont understand motor sports or even just a car that has more go power. you should look at what a car performing at the same level gets as far as fuel economy. then you should appreciate what they are doing.

you guys cant expect everyone to be like you. not everybody wants a small econo box. honda did not make a 4 cylinder accord hybrid because they did not want to cut into the civic hybrid sales. trebuchet has the right idea. spread the r&d accross the market. make good use of it. make all sorts of cars that are hybrids. it brings us that much closer to all sorts of electric vehicles.

i cant believe you guys would think that this attempt at a hybrid is unsuccessful. it is very successful. the profit made in luxury cars is SOOO much higher than making cars for the penny pinchers.

think of the added income that will be used to further develop the technology.

think of how the statistics will change the market! spreading hybrid technology to all demographics is KEY for further developing the technology and for furthing the shift from fossil fuels.

man i still cant believe you guys dont get it. BIG picture guys.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:51 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Point taken, Jared. Hopefully most of the income generated from the sales of the psuedo-Hybrids :chuckles: will be put forth towards more R&D in all their vehicles.

I , personally, don't, even in the slightest, expect everyone to be like me, but it is annoying when you hear individuals complain about the cost of gas after they have just bought a brand new GMC Denali when they only cart around two people at most in their travels.

I still would love my civic to do the quarter mile in 14 seconds AND get 50+ mpg but I guess that since I'm almost 30, am married, and have an 18 month old daughter that my priorities are shifting. Although, as soon as I get a house with a three car garage, I am finally getting a CRX and setting it up strictly as a track car!

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:30 PM   #18
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
I still would love my civic to do the quarter mile in 14 seconds AND get 50+ mpg but I guess that since I'm almost 30, am married, and have an 18 month old daughter that my priorities are shifting. Although, as soon as I get a house with a three car garage, I am finally getting a CRX and setting it up strictly as a track car!
you can get the car under 14 seconds in the quarter mile and get 40+mpg on the highway. there is a lot to be said for the good old turbo d honda. i want to have a street legal track car too, that way i dont need to buy a truck.... but yea i know what your saying reliability, utility and affordability are #1 when you have a family. i am sure if you had too much money and liked accelerating fast that you would be happy with a 500hp hybrid as a daily driver, haha.

anyway, when i typed what i did, i was not targeting anyone in particular, rather everyone that had posted saying that the lexus hybrid is a waste.

the bottom line is if hybrid sales go up, then all manufacturors will make more hybrids. eventually a hybrid will cost around the same as a normal vehicle while the hybrids can also plug into the extension cord in your garage.

the revolutions take time though and lots of steps. a power house luxury hybrid is one of those steps.

i hope i didnt kill this thread. tomo was the only one to post after i did...