Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hybrid Vehicles
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2007, 03:46 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings View Post
That's what I meant.
Whoops, right you are. I misread.

Don't forget to put an EV pusher trailer on the list of DIY hybrid options.

Someone on the EV list just made an ICE trailer out of half a motorcycle.

Much simpler to construct, swappable between cars. Only downside is... well, it's a trailer.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:38 AM   #12
Tuggin at the surly bonds

To do a pure hybrid, you could convert a Metro/Swift with a commonly used motor for $179 plus shipping, an adapter & coupler like this one that periodically becomes available, a used low voltage controller, and some batteries. In fact, I'd like to do one of those myself, only ... I can't come up with as cool a name as ForkenSwift.

For long range, just drop in any gas/diesel genset wherever it will fit, or you could tow it behind on a small trailer.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:05 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings View Post
For long range, just drop in any gas/diesel genset wherever it will fit, or you could tow it behind on a small trailer.
We kept the blue ForkenSwift's 3-cyl ICE, partly thinking that we could use it to drive a generator on a trailer (it could run the other forklift's pump motor as the generator)... But a 55 hp engine is probably overkill for that purpose. I'll probably just end up cannibalizing it for the Blackfly.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:53 AM   #14
Registered Member

I had an idea the other day of adding a small 3-4hp electric motor to our Ranger's driveline. EOC isn't very doable with the pickup - it has power steering that I don't want to lose, and it has an anti-theft circuit on the ignition that makes on-the-fly restarting a bit squirrely - so I spend a fair amount of time coasting in Neutral. A small 3-4hp electric motor would be just the thing for maintaining speed for a few city blocks. Such a small motor could be controlled with a simple On/Off switch rather than a complicate throttle circuit. I bet this would give me a nice bump in city MPG.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:33 AM   #15
Registered Member

Lots of room under the Ranger to do something like that. I'd look at adding a cog to the driveshaft, a belt, and a freewheeling clutch to the motor.

You're right you don't really *need* a controller. As long as you're not trying to drive the vehicle from a standstill with the e-motor, but using it to extend coasts or cruise at low speed once underway via the ICE.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:03 AM   #16
Registered Member

I was thinking the same thing. Our Ranger has a two-piece driveshaft. The segment between the tranny and the center bearing obviously doesn't move much. It would be perfect for adding a cogged pulley. Finding the right belt to use could be tricky though.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #17
Registered Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Saturn does have a fixed section in the right side half shaft but I just don't think I could mount anything there. There possibly would be issues with torque steer too. A month or two ago I was thinking trailer, recently I was thinking swing arm, now I am leaning toward small trailer again. Something like Metrompg posted somewhere a while ago.

I do have a surplus generator I have been carrying around for almost 30 years. It might have enough power but the quill shaft drive requires a little extra in terms of bearing support. The Etek and PMG 132 look quite efficient but I am not sure they are powerful enough.

I really am mostly thinking of an assist to extend the glide. I could easily enough start small and see how it goes if I don't sink too much money in things that don't work. I am getting close to 40 mph on a 30 mile round trip commute. If I could get that to 60 mpg with the assist I would call it a success. My current tank is averaging about 40 mph but I can beat 50 mpg on the trip home( slightly down hill) when traffic is not too heavy and I hit mostly green lights.

I have done no aero mods yet either. I know many on this list could get to my goal without the motor assist. I have just begun to experience the benefit of P&G. Even without motor shut down it is significant. I have a long ways to go but I am starting to get the bug.

These guys

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/F2R1-EV/

posted some very good links in message 146

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/F2R1-EV/message/146

Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharbert View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Our Ranger has a two-piece driveshaft. The segment between the tranny and the center bearing obviously doesn't move much. It would be perfect for adding a cogged pulley. Finding the right belt to use could be tricky though.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #18
Registered Member

Here's some info & pics of a guy hybridizing a Ford Aspire. Grafted a front half shaft & hub on one of the rear wheels:

Thread: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/86112

Pic 1: http://www.nimblemotorsports.com/drivenwheel.jpg

Pic 2: http://www.nimblemotorsports.com/motorchain.jpg
Old 02-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #19
Registered Member

That's pretty slick. One-wheel-drive electric assist could be very helpful for bumping up FE.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:29 AM   #20
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Wow, that's amazing. Cool parallel hybrid. I hope to see what kind of results he gets.

I wonder if it could have been any more (or less) work to put a differential in between a pair of halfshafts and drive the diff directly. Less noise, less asymetrical torque, etc. I don't know. He could still do it I suppose.

Still, hats off to the experimenters. That's great.