VW's Golf Diesel Hybrid Debuts. 71.4mpg - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hybrid Vehicles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

VW's Golf Diesel Hybrid Debuts. 71.4mpg

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/03/vws-golf-diesel.html

Volkswagen made it official and pulled the sheet off its awesome Golf TDI Hybrid at the Geneva Motor Show, and even though we've already given you the lowdown on the car and shown you some pictures, we'll give you the official word from VW because it's clear you all love this car.

As expected, the hybrid has a 1.2 liter three-cylinder diesel engine and a 220V electric motor. The electric motor gets the car moving at low speeds, with the 73 horsepower diesel kicking in only when extra oomph is needed (or wanted) and when cruising at highway speeds. The car also can run either in full-electric or full internal combustion mode, according to VW. Power is transferred through a seven-speed DSG transmission to the front wheels. The car also has start/stop capability and regenerative braking.

Subtle styling tweaks, including a narrower grille and smaller front air intakes, improve aerodynamics. VW says the Golf TDI Hybrid consumes 3.4 liters of fuel per 100 kilometers, which by our math is 71.4 mpg. That's a tad higher than the 69.9 cited in earlier reports, but either figure beats the gas-electric Toyota Prius and Honda Civic Hybrid by better than 20 mpg.

This car has generated a huge response - our first post garnered 321 comments at last count, and the follow-up brought 45 - which makes us wonder:

Why do you love this car?

Old 05-26-2008, 03:40 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 91CavGT
Why do I love that car? Maybe because it shows what a diesel/electric hybrid can do and how much more effecient it is than a compareable gas/electric hybrid.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:07 AM   #3

Won't see the light of day in the US because the oil companies bribed the EPA to not allow all-electric because "you can't measure MPG accurately that way."

But yay for the rest of the world!
Old 05-26-2008, 06:02 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
Why do I love that car? Maybe because it shows what a diesel/electric hybrid can do and how much more effecient it is than a compareable gas/electric hybrid.
Agreed. EPA continues to smash up opportunities for diesel engines though.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:28 AM   #5

This car is DOA. Its just a concept car that will never be put into production. Technically speaking even the concept doesn't work. Its just a regular rabbit dressed up with a body kit and an imaginary spec sheet.
dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
Registered Member

3.4 L/100 km is what the diesel smart fortwo gets in European cycle testing. The old, one that is. The new one is at 3.3. On sale for 8 years....
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

I think the 1 litre diesel Lupo does similar in Europe, think there's also an audi model... but the Golf is a bigger car....

Remember the corporate priority of a car company is to sell you the biggest and most profitable car that they can.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:05 AM   #8
Registered Member

In addition to selling cars that people buy.

Smart Car is cute, but I have kids. A Golf can hold more people and stuff, period.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Its just a regular rabbit dressed up with a body kit and an imaginary spec sheet.
So?
All I need is a factory "hybrid" badge for my present VW diesels and I can use the HOV lanes, get a government tax rebate, and pretend I'm doing something.
Why not? Mine start on electricity and then switch to a diesel engine...Doesn't that make them both "hybrid"?
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
In addition to selling cars that people buy.

Smart Car is cute, but I have kids. A Golf can hold more people and stuff, period.
Hate to harp on the Smart Car --but it gets much worse FE and is much smaller--which totally defies logic.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote