When does my Volt get to join the party? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hybrid Vehicles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #11
Registered Member

Driving an American car is somthing to be proud of??! News to me!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #12
Ziv
Registered Member

Draigflag, that is why I like my Volt so much. A lot of us look down on American cars, and for good reason in a lot of cases. But the Volt is simply better than any other car out there at the price point. Not even close. The Leaf is limited utility vehicle but the Volt is a full utility car that is actually fun to drive. And it uses American electricity most of the time, not Jihadi Juice.

In the Volt, an American car company has jumped out in front of the competition, and in the Tesla, Musk has done the same thing albeit at a higher price point. And the best part of this tale is, GM and Tesla appear to be making their next generation cars even better than the ones we can buy today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post

Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:24 PM   #13
Registered Member

I haven't been able to find specific information, but what I found seems to suggest the Volt contains about 40% US content. My Toyota Tundra is 75% US. You might want to check the window sticker that came on the car, if you still have it, just to be sure.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
I'd have to say almost any American car beats the crop of British, French, and Italian ones. If you have data that PROVES differently, show it. And I am not referring to the artificially high fuel economy ratings, most of which would probably be halved in the real world in real traffic with ordinary drivers.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:17 PM   #15
Registered Member

If you beleive that Charon, you'd beleive anything! American cars are utter trash in every possible way, just ask anyone who doesnt live in the US, absolute joke.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:10 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
If you beleive that Charon, you'd beleive anything! American cars are utter trash in every possible way, just ask anyone who doesnt live in the US, absolute joke.
Once again, no PROOF. Only opinions.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:36 AM   #17
Ziv
Registered Member

Charon, I have a picture of the Volt domestic content part of the window sticker from last year and it was up to 45%. Not great, but now that Brownstown is actually assembling packs (and using some American parts that used to be Korean), instead of playing Pac-Man, that number should be over 50%, but not by much, admittedly.
But that is just one more way the Volt continues to improve. The EPA All Electric Range (AER) going from 35 to 38 miles was a big one, as was getting the MSRP down from $41k to $34.9k so that the net price is down to $27.4k even before you make a better deal. You can get a Volt for less than $25k pretty easily now, which is pretty incredible for as great a car as the Volt is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
I haven't been able to find specific information, but what I found seems to suggest the Volt contains about 40% US content. My Toyota Tundra is 75% US. You might want to check the window sticker that came on the car, if you still have it, just to be sure.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:21 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
Once again, no PROOF. Only opinions.
Lets look at every aspect of a car then. Economy? You've already mentioned this, instant fail for US cars. Big thirsty engines mated to a dated auto tranny means any attempts at saving fuel are pointless. The US market barely has any diesels on offer either, still don't fully understand why, even if diesel was $8 a gallon, getting 60 MPG would still be cheaper than getting 25 MPG in a gas powered car. Even some Euro race teams are starting to use diesel racing cars in endurance races, so fuel stops are not needed as frequently. It would also appear that the term hybrid is used a marketing tool for people who think they are going to save the planet by buying one. Pretty sure I saw an ad for an Escalade hybrid in the US that advertised economy of 15 MPG. Really? 15 MPG in a hybrid, Volvo have just released their own plug in hybrid that gets 150 MPG, that's 1000% more than the Caddy.

You really do get what you pay for with American cars. They are built cheap, so they are cheap to buy, it's that simple. US manufactures aren't willing to invest any decent engineering or technology into their product, that's why American cars haven't really changed apart from how they look, in the past 40 years or more. Big lazy engine up front, with an old fashioned auto tranny from the 70's, it's a recipe for fuel indigestion. Lets not forget the cart style leaf suspension. People outside the US are left scratching their heads on a daily basis, how do Americans get so little power from such a huge engine?When you look at some of the Sporty stuff on sale here, we can get over 400 HP from a 2.0 litre, US cars seem to need double that capacity to match the figures, if they were just willing to take a leaf from someone else's book, they could get just as much power but save fuel too.The term "power to weight" obviously means nothing to US manufactures. There's no sense of passion or prestige with US cars, about the best thing you can buy there is probably a Corvette for less than $100,000, of which has been criticized time and time again for it's cheap build and poor driving manner. Compare that to Bugatti Veyron, over $1,500,000 and they still loose money on every car they sell, that's just the dedication and commitment they invest in the engineering to make a masterpiece of Automotive design.

What about reliability? Americans think their cars are reliable, and in the US they are. There's a reason for that, the roads. Most of the US road network is made up of vast highways. Smooth and straight, the car's do very little work cruising up and down day after day barely ticking over. You try driving an American car in rural Romania and see how long it lasts. Take a peek at the surveys carried out in the UK every year, and you'll see that Chevrolet comes last year after year, 27th out of 27 with the Spark being voted the worse car ever in 116th place. The 3 other top selling GM cars came 92nd and 105th for customer satisfaction. The results speak for themselves.

Looking at the Nurburgring lap times, there are only 5 US cars in the top 50 (no points for guessing what they are) but again, huge 7.0 or 8.0 litre engines. Look at the other cars topping the list, some of them have 2.0 litre engines. Don't even mention NASCAR, how much skill does it take to drive in very big circles? I'm guessing there's more time, money and engineering goes into a single wheel nut on a F1 car than an entire NASCAR. As for rallying, Americans sent over
who they thought was a driving GOD, Ken Block. What happened, he crashed numerous times and came last with 0 points. It's very hard to argue your point when Americans do a very good job of showing us how bad their cars and their drivers are.

You mentioned British cars, last time I looked, Jaguar/Land rover were doing pretty well. In fact Jaguar came 1st in that survey I mentioned, and Land Rover came 6th.Give me a Bentley, Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Range Rover, McLaren, Lotus*over a*rental car*Vette any day.*Maybe you ought to watch this video to help you realise just how much Britain contributes.

http://youtu.be/vmcmqTAu6b8

Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 AM   #19
Registered Member

I am going to make no attempt to counter, one by one, your clearly anti-American bias. But I will point out that Aston Martin, Jaguar, and Rover (Land Rover and Range Rover) were owned by Ford for some years. Jag and Rover are now owned by Tata of India, as is a goodly part of Aston Martin. Lotus uses Toyota engines. I didn't bother to look up the others. Feel free to do so for yourself. I can see no further need to respond to any of your posts.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #20
Registered Member

Some of you might find this interesting.https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...213610506.html