Why aren't hybrids diesel rather than petrol? - Page 12 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hybrid Vehicles
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2015, 10:39 PM   #111
Registered Member

They are coming out with mats that you can just pull up on that will charge EVs now. However, simply plugging in a car is pretty easy, a lot of people in colder states have to plug in their block heaters for their conventional autos, not a big deal. The reason Florida does not have many solar users is all politics. A big part of the problem is that local utilities, who are very dependent on coal and natural gas, have successfully lobbied to put anti-solar regulations on the books, just like many states have banned Tesla from selling vehicles in their state.
The laws and rebates for solar power vary dramatically from state to state. In California they almost give you the solar power. Florida is one of only five states that prohibit so-called third-party sales from non-utility companies to install solar panels on residents’ or businesses’ rooftops and sell them power.

Hybrids do not need daily charging, plug in hybrids can be plugged in if wanted for the extra economy, but do not have to be, a plug in Prius will still get great mileage even if not running in EV mode.

Here is what makes hybrids neat. I had a Geo Metro Hatchback that got some decent mileage with a 1 liter engine. I now have a Honda Insight with a one liter engine. The Insight had a lot more power than the Geo when accelerating at all speeds because of the battery system, it did not feel like an economy car.

(Of course that was before my hybrid battery died, now it is about the same acceleration as the Geo, but better mileage, 15 years on the hybrid battery is not bad)

itripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:08 PM   #112
Registered Member

It seems in some states, profits are more important than conservation, renewable energy and emissions. Its a shame more states aren't like California. California reminds me much of Europe in its restrictions and laws and general attitude towards the environment, it should be Universal across the US if you ask me.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:01 AM   #113
Registered Member

Well America is unique in that the 50 states should be responsible for their own laws, kind of like miniature countries. The federal government is not supposed to step on the states rights, although more and more it has been usurping the states rights. As a US citizen you are free to choose to live in a state that parallels the way you think, each state can be very different from its neighbor. Corruption is a different matter and that to varies from state to state. So far in this world no body has been able to eliminate the power of money to corrupt some people.

California has some very progressive laws, but it also has some very draconian laws. I no longer live there for many reasons, most of which have to do with the local government in my personal business and wallet. Many more freedoms in Arizona and much less expenses here too.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:47 AM   #114
Registered Member

Mazda To Offer Diesel-Hybrid (In Japan Only) While U.S. Diesels Still MIA
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #115
Registered Member

Interesting. I'm still sceptical, not just about hybrids, but diesel hybrids. I think a lightweight car with a medium sized powerful diesel engine will offer great performance, economy and affordability without the extra hybrid concerns, extortionate costs and not to mention added weight.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #116
Registered Member

I would have to agree, no one seems to be going for light weight. My 12 year old 1.4 Diesel Peugeot had an official extra urban figure of over 80 mpg. I was getting over 75 in it and it wasn't exactly new and in the best of health.

I'm sure you could reduce the weight of most cars by 10% quite easily, but I don't think people will pay. They seem to prefer cheap up front cost with higher running expenses, rather than a higher initial cost and low running expense. Of course this does depend on your mileage.

Audi A2 and mk1 Honda Insight, both very innovative, but expensive to buy, but ran on almost air.

Oliver.
OliverGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:48 PM   #117
Registered Member

Mk1 Honda Insight was a complete fail in sales unfortunately, all aluminum 1700 lb car.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:11 PM   #118
Registered Member

European car manufacturers are focusing a lot now on weight saving, and aerodynamics. The new Astra is 200 kg lighter than the previous model, that's a huge weight saving for an average sized car. The new BMW X1 has a drag coefficient of 0.29 which is impressive for a small SUV.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:18 AM   #119
Registered Member

All the manufacturers are focusing on reducing weight. The aluminum F150 lost nearly 700 pounds. The new Malibu is bigger and about 200 pounds lighter than the old one. The new Volt has lost weight. So will the new Prius. It is a big part of Mazda's Skyactiv suite.

Some of the weight gain was due to design laziness and a more solid feeling ride. however, most of it was because of required safety regulations. The growing number of standard features doesn't help either.

It wasn't light weight that was a major hinderance to Insight 1 sales. it was the fact that it was a two seater.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #120
Registered Member

Ah, yes - I can only consider the two seater insight due to the fact I have either my son or the wife in the car with me, but not both. I wonder if hybrid battery and drive could ever be retro fitted to existing cars - such as automat conversions were made to standard petrol cars...! Battery pack in the boot with electric motor one chain to the rear axle....?!