Why aren't hybrids diesel rather than petrol? - Page 14 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hybrid Vehicles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2015, 03:47 PM   #131
Registered Member

No, 2 litre Automatic(!) in what is a fairly large car, not a great showcase...but would I be right in thinking the published mpg figures would be astronomically high (70-80mpg), and the test figure in the 40s genuine mpg? Worse weather means I'm edging down from a 70 mpg summer average, but still happy with my mileage. Would need a deffo big improvement to think about switching cars.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:48 PM   #132
Registered Member

Yes, figures for hybrids are even more exsadurated than those of conventional cars. Tests are already being conducted for real world tests, which the government will soon be using to determine emissions and fuel efficiency. The sooner the better I say. Don't worry, my economy has plummeted too, I'm not even getting 60 mpg at the mo. P.S. There's a mk1 insight on eBay for £3600 if you're interested

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #133
Registered Member

Another diesel hybrid arriving on the market in 2017, the all new Renault Megane, launched next year with various petrol and diesel engines available will also have a "hybrid assist" diesel engine coming the year after launch. With a hybrid assist, it means the diesel engine will always be running, but the electric hybrid system will kick in when need be, perhaps to ease the load when accelerating? and will be recharged through the usual regeneration methods.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #134
Registered Member

Brilliant! As a fan of the Scangauge, you dread accelerating and especially up any hills, as you can watch an indicated 100 mpg figure reduce to 15....! It is clear a battery assist at these times to maintain a figure close to the optimal economy return will do wonders for fuel and emissions figures. I can see genuine 80-90+ mpg results where a diesel is supported by electricity. Just as I imagine a diesel/electric Prius would be able to achieve!
Old 12-16-2015, 11:12 PM   #135
Registered Member

Their target emission figure is 76 grams of C02 which equates to just under 100 MPG. By then the new driving test procedures will be in place, giving more accurate estimates for fuel consumption and emissions. I read some manufacturers, Citroen, Peugeot, Vauxhall etc have already started collecting data for the new tests even though they're not coming into force until 2017.