Gas Cubby - Latest Update Deleted 6 Years of Data - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > iOS | Fuelly Mobile
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

Gas Cubby - Latest Update Deleted 6 Years of Data

Gas Cubby - Latest Update Deleted 6 Years of Data

I have an iPhone 5, running the latest version of iOS 8.1. I have been using Gas Cubby since the beginning, and it was one of my favorite and most-used apps. I recently updated Gas Cubby to the latest version 2.7.1. To my horror, it completely deleted all 6 years of data for my vehicle and my wife's vehicle (same on my wife's iPhone as well). Actually, it was even more than 6 years of data, because I had entered all service data since I bought my vehicle in 2000. Even though I did not sync the app (ironically, because of Fuelly's warning that everything would be deleted), the UPDATE itself deleted everything anyway. Literally every single entry is gone; every service, every gas fill-up, detailed service reminders, dates for new tires, serial numbers, tune-ups and repairs, gas stations used, etc. I need the data for my taxes, calculating MPG, etc. This is totally unacceptable. In my opinion, the app has been getting worse and worse, starting with the decision by Fuelly to have the sync feature delete all previous data. Now all my work is gone, ironically because of the fact that I didn't sync it in order not to lose it. There is no reason that I can think of, for a company to make an app update delete that app's previous data. If Fuelly does not have a solution for this, they have lost their best customer. I sent this message to Customer Support a week ago (10/21/2014), and to date have not received any response.

whydavewhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Registered Member

Hi Dave,

How did you send the Support message to us last week? I do not show one in our Help Desk from your email address. I'm sorry about that.

I'll be sending you a message through Fuelly Mail here shortly, so we can check to see if there is any data that can be recovered from the sync servers. I am curious where you read that Fuelly recommended you to NOT attempt a sync prior to updating? I'll need to review this and make any necessary changes if that's the case.

Have you at any time ever uninstalled Gas Cubby? This is the only way local data would've been removed. There is no reason an update would've removed the data from within the app.

RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Robert,

I sent the message via the online support page at www.fuelly.com/contact.

In the previous update (not the current one), when the sync button was tapped, a message appeared saying that if a sync is performed, all local data will be deleted. With the current version, the following is displayed when the sync button is tapped:

1) "Verification Needed: Due to a change in iOS, Gas Cubby needs to reactivate this device before syncing."

- (Tap 'Reactivate')

2) A button appears which says, "Delete Local Data."

When that button is tapped, a message appears saying, "This will remove all Gas Cubby data from your device. This cannot be undone."

Even though I did not proceed (I just installed the update), all my data is gone now. I have not re-installed the app.
whydavewhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydavewhy View Post
Hi Robert,

I sent the message via the online support page at www.fuelly.com/contact.
I apologize, but for some reason it must've not made it to the Help Desk.

Quote:
In the previous update (not the current one), when the sync button was tapped, a message appeared saying that if a sync is performed, all local data will be deleted.
I do not recall seeing this.
Here's the old FAQ from the previous versions of GC- http://www.fuelly.com/gascubby/suppo...nlinesync.html
Tapping Delete Local Data was never mandatory, but was an available option if necessary.
Quote:
With the current version, the following is displayed when the sync button is tapped:

1) "Verification Needed: Due to a change in iOS, Gas Cubby needs to reactivate this device before syncing."

- (Tap 'Reactivate')

2) A button appears which says, "Delete Local Data."

When that button is tapped, a message appears saying, "This will remove all Gas Cubby data from your device. This cannot be undone."
This part is curious. I had our developer dig into the code to see what would've triggered that message. It seems like it implies you would've NOT performed a sync since 2012, but had been syncing before then. There was a change in the way Apple was handling some IDs in the backend, that seems like the code was adjusted to compensate, and that would've been the response to get users to sync their data after the changes in 2012.
While highly unlikely, I must ask, when was your last sync prior to updating?
Quote:
Even though I did not proceed (I just installed the update), all my data is gone now. I have not re-installed the app.
I'm hoping your data is still safe in the sync servers. I've sent you a message earlier and hope we can start troubleshooting as soon as I receive a response from you.
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
data, deleted, sync, update